Trivial Shipping Question

siamamerican

'll be moving to Thailand early next year. I've been planning the move for the last 3 years and have refrained from buying too many toys. I will be donating most of my household things to charity but was wondering if it's worth shipping some of the more expensive items. Below are the items I won't be able to take with me on the plane.

* new 40 inch plasma

*new dvd/cd and surround sound

*3 year old desk top computer

*clothes

*new wood dining table set ( only cost 40,000 baht )

* 160,000 baht mountain bike ( Might just take on the plane and pay the fee. Could part with everything on this list, except the bike)

Total weight: 350 lbs/ 175 kilos

I'm married to Thai that lives with me in America. Don't know if it makes a difference, but she will be moving back to Thailand before I plan on shipping the items. I think having a Thai wife makes it easier with customs.

Is it worth it?

Edited by siamamerican

'll be moving to Thailand early next year. I've been planning the move for the last 3 years and have refrained from buying too many toys. I will be donating most of my household things to charity but was wondering if it's worth shipping some of the more expensive items. Below are the items I won't be able to take with me on the plane.

* new 40 inch plasma

*new dvd/cd and surround sound

*3 year old desk top computer

*clothes

*new wood dining table set ( only cost 40,000 baht )

* 160,000 baht mountain bike ( Might just take on the plane and pay the fee. Could part with everything on this list, except the bike)

Total weight: 350 lbs/ 175 kilos

I'm married to Thai that lives with me in America. Don't know if it makes a difference, but she will be moving back to Thailand before I plan on shipping the items. I think having a Thai wife makes it easier with customs.

Is it worth it?

The Q is not so "trivial" especially if you have to pay.  However, take a look at this www page regarding Thai citizens returning home after at least one year abroad.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

Mac

As a personal thing, I would ditch the clothes, computer and table, they can be replaced relatively easily and inexpensively. Make a charity happy or sell as your time allows.

The electronic toys may be a little harder to part with. Check what they would cost to ship and compare the cost of replacement. Also remember that they equipment you have is for US 120V 60Hz, and Thailand uses 240V 50Hz as the mains power supply. It would be worth checking if the equipment has the ability to adapt to this difference, some do some don't. If they don't sell and start again.

The bike can come with you on the plane, given its value it is worth keeping. It will be classified as one item strange shaped luggage and will attract slightly different processing and charges, check with your airline. You will need to wrap it to protect it, again check what the airline wants. Insure it, or make sure it is listed on your travel insurance.

Enjoy the move.

big headache for something worth 2000 usd of which you can sell in a garage sale and get 1800!!!

worthless.

Shipping stuff overseas makes sense only if you have a MNC to pay for it.

Plasma TV is nothing special in Thailand, mountain bike to rust in BKK (if you are going to stay in BKK you will never use it), other stuffs irrilevant

Don't do like I did (to waste money twice and trow everything after a few years), come here in your bags and with full pockets

re Bike.

dont forget to deflate the tyres and dont have those air canisters with you. I bought my bike over and packed it in a bike cardboard box (get one from a local bike shop). Customs had a look at it and waved me thru. It cost me about 2000 baht to have it air freighted with me, as my luggage allowance was over (25 kg). It went thru as oversize luggage.

Also remember that they equipment you have is for US 120V 60Hz, and Thailand uses 240V 50Hz as the mains power supply. It would be worth checking if the .

Consider a set of serious step-down transformers like the ones in the link below if you have equipment that needs 110/60. We ordered a set of six of the 1000 watt units and they work very well. Better quality than cheap ones. Not only that, but it's almost impossible to find 12V power blocks if you have equipment that uses those.

http://www.newkunst.com/catMan.asp?chk=3&a...e&manf=Todd

I left some good flexible shelving behind, that I wish I had brought. I've had to have some things custom made here. I also wish I had brought my stereo hi-fi CD player with me because here you have to buy a DVD player instead. Some of them don't handle CD's all that well.

If your TV is multi-format (PAL/NTSC), etc., and you can't get what you want for it, it might be worth shipping for now. Organic LCD TV's that use a lot less energy wont' be affordable for at least another year. Might as well stick with what you have for now as long as the cycles (50 vs 60) won't be an issue.

Speaking of cycles, most non motorized devices will be okay. Most kitchen items like food processors will work okay as long as you don't use them all the time, but they will run slower. For instance, my coffee grinder is only good for course coffee press grounds now (can't do drip).

If you bring or set up a computer here, make sure you get grounding set up (surprisingly difficult unfortunately with the local electricians) and get a good UPS! They can help save your TV, and other things too.