Do You Speak Thai To Farang Wives If Farang Doesn't Understand?

12 minutes ago, transam said:

That reads like you have your nose up where the sun don't shine.......:ermm:

There are poor folk out there that are now millionaires, and you would pooh, pooh them, how strange...:whistling:

I kind of get his point that 'some guys' are cut from a certain cloth that others prefer not to mix with, those characters often end up with a less than charming companion.

Of course, its very difficult to express that on a forum such as this especially when its a generalisation with many flaws.

So, while his initial sentiment may hold some water in some situations...  his doubling down on bigotry certainly highlights that he [Fredy42OZ] is not a character worthy interaction. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I kind of get his point that 'some guys' are cut from a certain cloth that others prefer not to mix with, those characters often end up with a less than charming companion.

Of course, its very difficult to express that on a forum such as this especially when its a generalisation with many flaws.

So, while his initial sentiment may hold some water in some situations...  his doubling down on bigotry certainly highlights that he [Fredy42OZ] is not a character worthy interaction. 

Just reminds me of the people I have met over my longish life from all backgrounds, rich or poor means nothing to me, to me, it is more who we are in ourselves....☺️

50 odd years back I met a bloke who was just an ordinary bloke like me, but he had visions in what he wanted to do.

He became a multi-millionaire, whose name you will all know....😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Just reminds me of the people I have met over my longish life from all backgrounds, rich or poor means nothing to me, to me, it is more who we are in ourselves....☺️

50 odd years back I met a bloke who was just an ordinary bloke like me, but he had visions in what he wanted to do.

He became a multi-millionaire, whose name you will all know....😉

100% agree.....   its about attitude and meeting people at face value... 

That said, I can be quite judgement of people based on their behavior etc...    I think many of us can - there are plenty I see and immediately know I'd prefer to avoid them than have any interaction and their signifiant other is usually giving off the same impression.

I've met guys who's wives are so very 'ho-ish' its a bit 'cringey'.....    But we're not bringing these people into our homes, so there's no reason to be rude or for complete ignorance so if the paths cross, then ignoring or excluding anyone would be impolite. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I don't know but in my 15 years here and 50 years in Asia, the type of guys who marry girls who can't speak English, tend to be working class, and usually retired. 

Well educated, financially well off blokes that comes here on expat packages don't usually marry uneducated women from the provinces. 

Well, you're wrong. I came here in my 20s and went to the same secondry school as Lord Byron :cheesy: also a uni in the top 20 in the world.

4 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Except without being able to have good discussion with your partner how can you even begin to think of them as your closest friend?  
Surely you were incredibly close friends before you got married?

One of the best things about my Russian GF, aside from being slim and beautiful, is that she's very well educated and speaks perfect English.  We have great conversations about all sorts of things, politics, global warming, crypto, whatever is in the news that interests us.  

None of my partners have ever been my 'closest friend', 'soul mate' or any of that b0llox.

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You need to learn that the background is largely irrelevant; it is where/what you finish up as that counts.

Plus your deserved / proven reputation for honesty, helpfulness, promptness to provide assistance, sincerity, etc.

I don't really understand the problem.

Of course I'll speak to a Thai in Thai if she's more comfortable with that, if the hubby can't understand that's his problem not mine.

If he can't understand Thai, well she's living 99% of her life speaking Thai, so the 1% I would have to say is meaningless.

In our little enclave here in South Dakota, my wife has a group of friends married or in some relationship with a farang.

Now many are young pups and you'd think they would be the ones who might get upset.

But I pose no threat to them as an older guy, so me talking to their wife/gf in Thai, or Lao doesn't faze them in the least.

Now if I was 20 years younger and talking to their sweetheart in a language they couldn't understand, well then I really couldn't say