Jetstar Makes Emergency Landing In Bali

Farma

Jetstar makes emergency landing in Bali

Monday Jul 23 10:30 AEST

A Jetstar flight from Bangkok to Melbourne has been forced to make an unscheduled landing at Bali's Denpasar Airport.

A Jetstar staff member said the flight left Bangkok on Sunday night and had been due to arrive at Melbourne Airport at 9am (AEST) on Monday, but was instead diverted to Denpasar.

Fairfax media has reported that the captain of flight JQ30 was forced to make an emergency landing at Denpasar after shutting down one engine as a precautionary measure after a fault was found.

The plane landed about 6.45am (AEST) and all 302 passengers and 12 crew were still on board as of 8.30am, the Fairfax online report said.

Cont here http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=71037

A Jetstar flight from Bangkok to Melbourne has been forced to make an unscheduled landing at Bali's Denpasar Airport.

A Jetstar staff member said the flight left Bangkok on Sunday night and had been due to arrive at Melbourne Airport at 9am (AEST) on Monday, but was instead diverted to Denpasar.

Fairfax media has reported that the captain of flight JQ30 was forced to make an emergency landing at Denpasar after shutting down one engine as a precautionary measure after a fault was found.

The plane landed about 6.45am (AEST) and all 302 passengers and 12 crew were still on board as of 8.30am, the Fairfax online report said.

You'd think by now QANTAS/Jetstar would be able to keep their aircraft in the air. Guess this just adds weight to the recent reports in Oz that mantenance isn't being done / done properly.

You'd think by now QANTAS/Jetstar would be able to keep their aircraft in the air. Guess this just adds weight to the recent reports in Oz that mantenance isn't being done / done properly.

I'd say that their near perfect safety record and zero fatalities over millions of flights has something to do with taking appropriate precautions such as this crew did. Much better than to save face by keeping it in the air.

The aircraft is 3 months old. It's unlikely that the problem is due to lack of maintenance.

The 302 passengers made it home to Melbourne this morning, 17 hours late. Jetstar will give each passenger a $AUD100 voucher they can use towards their next trip.

Source

More than 300 passengers left stranded when a Melbourne-bound Jetstar flight was forced to make an emergency landing in Bali have returned home.

The Bangkok to Melbourne flight was forced to divert for an unexpected landing at Bali's Denpasar Airport after an engine failed early on Monday.

With 302 passengers and 12 crew on board, the captain diverted the three-week-old Airbus A330-200 to Denpasar after its computer system detected an engine fault and shut the engine down.

Flying for almost an hour on a single engine, the plane landed about 6.45am (AEST) on Tuesday, with passengers then stuck on board for two hours before being taken to hotels at Jetstar's expense.

The budget airline sent a new plane from Sydney at 1pm to collect the passengers, who arrived back in Melbourne about 2.30am (AEST) on Tuesday, more than 17 hours after their scheduled arrival time of 9am Monday.

Qantas engineers in Bali are examining the brand new aircraft, which had been flying daily for three weeks.

Jetstar said it would give passengers on the failed flight complimentary flight vouchers worth a minimum $100.

Peter

PGS - I haven't seen those reports and I don't doubt your word, but I can tell you for a fact that Qantas certainly is continuing its maintenance schedules - although there has been talk of moving some maintenance operations off-shore. I would be interested to read of the reports you mention in relation to inadequate maintenance; are you in a position to refer us to some sources?

Thanks - Ping

PGS - I haven't seen those reports and I don't doubt your word, but I can tell you for a fact that Qantas certainly is continuing its maintenance schedules - although there has been talk of moving some maintenance operations off-shore. I would be interested to read of the reports you mention in relation to inadequate maintenance; are you in a position to refer us to some sources?

Thanks - Ping

It's been on the daily 'current affairs' programs here over the past weeks.

One listing had an engineer in Singapore manage to do over 50 hours of inspections in under 8 hours, emergency wiring held together with staples, cracks in the metalwork, etc.

I know 2 pursors & 3 hosties from Qantas, none of them are happy with the way things are there now. Too many 'cost saving' measures - which haven't included preventing pay increases to the board & CEO, none of whom really deserve the amounts they're getting.

These days I only use Qantas if I have to.

Edited by pgs

Thanks PGS. It would seem that the maintenance issue may rest with a Singaporean contractor - see http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/03/21/1877613.htm

Notwithstanding, I agree with the BM who suggested that this particular incident is unlikely to be related to maintenance (due to the low hours the aircraft must have flown). Unlikely to be bird strike - altitude would be too high at time of incident. Given the observations, one would suspect a fan blade defect. Despite the damage (the 'bang'), the imbalance created by even a single missing fan blade would necessitate shutdown of the engine. (Of course, it could be some other problem in the turbine, but the point is that it is more likely that fingers will be pointed at Airbus Industrie rather than Qantas).

.............but the point is that it is more likely that fingers will be pointed at Airbus Industrie rather than Qantas).

Never knew that Airbus made aircraft engines !! New business line ? Have seen detached fan blades, not a pretty picture. Never happy sitting at the same level of the engines, even with all the protection.