Prime minister visiting restive south amid heightened security

main-34.png

Security has been increased in Pattani’s Mueang district today, ahead of a visit by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to this southernmost province.

The district is also home to the Krue Se Mosque, which was the scene of a massacre in 2004, in which 32 people were killed by Thai security forces following a day-long siege. The prime minister is scheduled to meet local people, after praying at the provincial pillar.

This is his first visit to the southernmost province since taking office last year. Srettha said his visits to the province, Narathiwat and Yala will focus on tourism and economic development.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

Restive south is a polite way of describing the situation, a hotbed of Islamist terrorism taking over from separatists, whatever the excuses, would be more accurate. This terror campaign has murdered over 6500 innocent Thais and injured 12000 between 2004 and 2015, they must have stopped counting after that.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, proton said:

Are you disputing the numbers of victims or the perpetrators? 

No, if anything the numbers are higher, but that's victims from both sides of the divide, some 60% of victims have been local Muslims, many of whom have been killed by fellow Muslims.

What I dispute is your simplistic label of 'Islamic Terrorism' - it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the roots of the conflict, and the complexity of current insurgency; it isn't simply a religious conflict. There are conflicts between the state and the various factions of the insurgency, the state and the local population, and between the various factions of the insurgents, and between the insurgents and the local Muslim population. But given your posting history, whether reflecting on the city of Leicester, Halal tourism, or the southern conflict, regardless what I say Islam and Muslim are trigger words that have you frothing at the mouth, consequently you have scant regard for facts.

17 minutes ago, Stocky said:

No, if anything the numbers are higher, but that's victims from both sides of the divide, some 60% of victims have been local Muslims, many of whom have been killed by fellow Muslims.

What I dispute is your simplistic label of 'Islamic Terrorism' - it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the roots of the conflict, and the complexity of current insurgency; it isn't simply a religious conflict. There are conflicts between the state and the various factions of the insurgency, the state and the local population, and between the various factions of the insurgents, and between the insurgents and the local Muslim population. But given your posting history, whether reflecting on the city of Leicester, Halal tourism, or the southern conflict, regardless what I say Islam and Muslim are trigger words that have you frothing at the mouth, consequently you have scant regard for facts.

True but muslims are still innocent Thais and they often hate each other more than the kafir. The roots of the conflict I don't think I have mentioned, it's the reason they are using terror to attempt to get their own demands met that is the problem, and that is down to the fake prophet they worship, a self confessed terrorist.

'I have been made victorious with terror' - Mohammad. Sahih Bukhari 2977

1 hour ago, proton said:

True but muslims are still innocent Thais and they often hate each other more than the kafir. The roots of the conflict I don't think I have mentioned, it's the reason they are using terror to attempt to get their own demands met that is the problem, and that is down to the fake prophet they worship, a self confessed terrorist.

'I have been made victorious with terror' - Mohammad. Sahih Bukhari 2977

When governments don't listen the disaffected often take up arms. Southern Thailand is no different.

All prophets are fake, you're foaming at the mouth again.

12 hours ago, proton said:

Restive south is a polite way of describing the situation, a hotbed of Islamist terrorism taking over from separatists, whatever the excuses, would be more accurate. This terror campaign has murdered over 6500 innocent Thais and injured 12000 between 2004 and 2015, they must have stopped counting after that.

The Thais have been just as complicit in killing in return

Over a century of refusing to address the many issues, the former Malaysian population has, comes at a price. 

As an autonomous polity, the Sultanate of Pattani had a loose tributary relation with Thailand (then Siam) since the 16th century, but when the political climate of the two polities changed in 1810s, Thailand attempted to assert control over her southern periphery by separating Patani into seven small states, each ruled by a hereditary sultan. During the last decade of the 1800s and the turn of the 20th century, Patani saw a tremendous change in its political sphere as a Thai royal commissioner was appointed to strengthen control over local rulers. In 1906 the position of the sultan was abolished and seven Malay­ states were reorganized again as Monthon Pattani under the direct jurisdiction of the central government in Bangkok, marking the end of Patani as a sultanate state. A traditional tributary­ sent to Bangkok in the form of ornamental tree made of gold and silver, and other local products were abolished. Needless to say, this process provoked discontentment among Malay elites which fostered and led to a separatist movement in 1950s and in the following years, a militant insurgency by radical Muslims in the southernmost part of Thailand that has continued into the present. 

https://www-archive.cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp/www/2016/2014/05/viewing-deep-south-thailand-from-a-historical-perspective/

I have lived in one of the three restive provinces since 2016 and can assure anyone that the situation has much improved. Nowadays, the number of yearly incidents is in the double digits and the number of casualties in the single to low double digits. All in all, there's no reason for anyone to avoid the area regarding safety. It's as safe as anywhere else in Thailand. Since the majority of people don't drink, the number of alcohol-related incidents is much lower than in the rest of the country, so it's probably even safer all around.

• Thumbs Up 1