News of Hua Hin’s “decline” greatly exaggerated. Here’s why.

This part of OP is spot on ... "Respondents cited expensive accommodation, the nation’s sluggish economic recovery, and notably, congestion on Rama II Road as prime factors."

Though not sure price increases are any different the any other popular town, and Rama II isn't HH's fault.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a mate who built a house inland at Cha Am through a Company and Thai partner.  Go there quite regularly with him.  Rama II is terrible - especially on a Friday, end of a holiday, raining etc. It’s congested and dangerous.  

I read somewhere that around 36 workers had lost their lives so far building the thing.   Not to mention motorists who are at mercy of pile ups and falling construction equipment.   

The only problem with Hua Hin is traffic and to much people in the weekends. Except from that the water quality, lack of good restaurants (a few but not to many) 

The positives with Hua Hin area, easy to find quiet beaches, a few good gym/fitness centers and Hassel free emigration, as well getting a bank account and driving license. 

Also easy to find a decent studio or 1 bedroom appartment for rent.

Hua Hin is a Thai weekend destination for many and lots own holiday homes there. There are a large number of western expats living in HH. Quite likely far fewer western tourists than before Covid. Especially since the end of the Pattaya ferry service. The Rama 2 road out of Bangkok is still a total disaster. I can remember them working on that since as far back as 2017 (possibly earlier). Seems like the train hasn't got much faster either. HH nightlife has changed a lot with Bintabaht much quieter than pre-Covid. Soi 80 still reasonable and now Wonderland Soi 94 taking up business. Still, a nice place to visit for a few days IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am currently in Hua Hin and it is fairly busy.

Hotels are busy (I do not know %ages but booking two rooms took a while and were not at the cheap rates from before.)

However, the town is anti 'western tourist'.

Most western tourists like to sit on the beach (or next to it) and eat and have a drink.

Not a chance.

On the beach, miles and miles of private houses, condos and hotels all saying 'private property. Do not enter.'

Most folk that I saw in the town were expats (Europe) and Thai tourists.

I used to frequent Hua Hin years ago, at least 3-4 trips a year for a minimum week long stay.

Traffic was always a bit of an issue at peak times but the general ambiance was good.

Then the developers moved in and started to build, build, build with no thought to infrastructure.

As the tourist numbers grew so did the out-of-town vendors... the place took on a different vibe.

Now it's just a shambles,  I drive through it now and head further south to better place that are more welcoming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

This part of OP is spot on ... "Respondents cited expensive accommodation, the nation’s sluggish economic recovery

and what do they do, put prices up shooting themselves in the foot

I've been to Hua Hin many times the last time being about 2019, would I go back there - no

if it was around the corner or a short journey I would consider it, but there is nothing that would entice me to spend 4 hrs in a taxi - the ferry from pattaya was less painful but still nothing is enticing me to go there, had a few great experiences there

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The highway from just past the river, to km. 36 is an abomination. It is very dangerous, way too congested in both directions, and the amount of time it is taking is horrendous. How long has the work been going on? And how long will the additional work take? 20-30 years to build a highway in one of the most congested areas of the nation is a national embarrassment. I know it is a huge project, but is this Thailand, or Burkina Faso? Please. Of course it affects the willingness of people to make that trip south and to endure the return trip. I will only head into BKK past 9pm, or head out at 5:30am, or on Sundays. 

The fact that there is NO alternative transportation to HH is disastrous. Such a lack of vision. The airport should be a regional hub, and remains one of the least utilized airports in SE Asia. That is pathetic. Heads should be reeling. 

Use the train

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Got to the beach, it''s quite a long one, and try and find somewhere to eat and have a drink.

this might sound strange but Hua Hin is not a beach place - it could be but needs a lot of thinking

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am currently in Hua Hin and it is fairly busy.

Hotels are busy (I do not know %ages but booking two rooms took a while and were not at the cheap rates from before.)

However, the town is anti 'western tourist'.

Most western tourists like to sit on the beach (or next to it) and eat and have a drink.

Not a chance.

On the beach, miles and miles of private houses, condos and hotels all saying 'private property. Do not enter.'

Most folk that I saw in the town were expats (Europe) and Thai tourists.

Not a chance.

Fake News ....

When I think of Hua Hin I think of a nice beach that is difficult to get on due to the hotels right on the front and the big main road running through the center of it full of traffic. Its too busy and crammed for a beach getaway. 

• Agree 1

I have given up going to the beach here as parking is the number one issue, followed by no beach side bars/restaurants, and semi lay flat deck chairs that seem to pull out my spine getting in and out, and not forgetting a marauding troupe of monkeys that tried to mug me the last time I visited .  Unless you know different and I have missed something ? 🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

The only problem with Hua Hin is traffic and to much people in the weekends. Except from that the water quality, lack of good restaurants (a few but not to many) 

The positives with Hua Hin area, easy to find quiet beaches, a few good gym/fitness centers and Hassel free emigration, as well getting a bank account and driving license. 

Also easy to find a decent studio or 1 bedroom appartment for rent.

Does the traffic problem continue to the south of Hua Hin? Towards Takiap? Pranburi?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Use the train

I'd agree. All down to individual experience but mine were positive.

I've made 2 return trips BKK - HH using the train since November. On each occasion the trains departed and arrived within 10 minutes of the scheduled times. Trains were full but comfortable enough. The 'slow' (4hr duration) train cost 94 baht if I remember correctly. Easy enough to book online to avoid arriving at the station too early.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spidermike.     Put the blame fairly where it lies. SRT, it is overbloated, corrupt, only interested in ensuring they get rent increases for their vast land holdings & have failed all Thais in their inability to even get the chicken across the road yet alone develop what should be an efficient, organized modern rail system due to massive disappearing monies on a yearly basis. Yes, the Government of the day is also to blame for allowing this charade to even continue.

Hua Hin, if they do not organize the long term water problem soon, Hua Hin & Cha Am will never develop any further

Re: the horrendous traffic between HH and BKK:

I hate it so much that when returning to Thailand I book a flight from Taipei to CNX, stay there for a week or so and then fly non-stop to HH on Air Asia from Chiang Mai.  The only way you can totally avoid the traffic problems.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:39 AM, spidermike007 said:

The highway from just past the river, to km. 36 is an abomination. It is very dangerous, way too congested in both directions, and the amount of time it is taking is horrendous. How long has the work been going on? And how long will the additional work take? 20-30 years to build a highway in one of the most congested areas of the nation is a national embarrassment. I know it is a huge project, but is this Thailand, or Burkina Faso? Please. Of course it affects the willingness of people to make that trip south and to endure the return trip. I will only head into BKK past 9pm, or head out at 5:30am, or on Sundays. 

The fact that there is NO alternative transportation to HH is disastrous. Such a lack of vision. The airport should be a regional hub, and remains one of the least utilized airports in SE Asia. That is pathetic. Heads should be reeling. 

The works at Rama II is a combination of road and overhead railway.

There is an alternative to take the train.

1 hour ago, Lancelot01 said:

The works at Rama II is a combination of road and overhead railway.

There is an alternative to take the train.

That is not really an alternative. There is as much as 3 hours late on many occasions. The sedond aspect is an antiquated rail system with cars that are as sometimes 70 years old, and number three the amount of time involved to travel a relatively short distance is absolutely ridiculous. It is an abomination. Is this Thailand, or is this Gayana? 

On 2/28/2024 at 3:41 AM, Roo Island said:

Does the traffic problem continue to the south of Hua Hin? Towards Takiap? Pranburi?

Thanks!

After Pranburi it normally loosen up, but still on start and end of public holidays annoying going south.

• Love It 1

Hua Hin is very busy at the moment and Soi Bintabaht is slowly becoming busy again.Today at Makro there were Russians and or Ukrainians everywhere,knew because many of them had shirts with Russia printed on it.