Swedish Man Arrested for Exchanging Counterfeit Money in Patong

webfact

These money changers scrutinise foreign currency pretty well. I tried with 4 different changers to exchange a USD100 note and they all rejected it for the same reason. A tiny print defect on the top edge. Even when it was mixed with other notes they all picked up on it and refused to accept it. The note was legit and the defect was hardly noticeable so it comes as no surprise this guy was apprehended 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

Seems like a lot of this happening in Thailand lately.

Don't these dummies read the news???

They think their counterfeit money is too good to be traced.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Seems like a lot of this happening in Thailand lately.

Don't these dummies read the news???

A lot?

Edited by roo860

50 minutes ago, namatjira said:

You can buy a small pen size blue light that detects counterfeit money at DIY shops in Thailand for about 50 baht, powered by small round batteries you can see UV markers in the notes and in your passport.....Worth having one

I have sauch one many years , it has a UV light and a metal strip reader who give a beep for a correct Euro bill , probably exist for $  or U.K. pound too

https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/Safescan-35-Counterfeit-Detection-Verification/dp/B002IT17SU?language=en_GB

Safescan 35.png

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BananaGuy said:

Sloppy reporting, again …

How many ‘counterfeit’ notes?

One or two notes? He’s probably a victim

not a perp.

A whole bunch of notes? He’s maybe dishonest and maybe dumb … those FX places check notes like hawks.

I have to agree. If he is a counterfeiter he is certainly a very stupid one. 

If I was trying to pass counterfeit bill I certainly not go to a place where they have special machines to check bills.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

The thing about Thailand is when a foreigner commits any crime the Thai's immediately call the police 191 and the police will be on the scene within minutes because they are always nearby and on motorbikes ...    and thai's like seeing foreigners being arrested.

Where as in other countries,  yes ... they will call the police,  but because of all the bureaucracy and call transfers to the correct department and police station and then to an officer in charge,  by the time the police know where to go to investigate, and with traffic it could take up to 30-60 minutes later to arrive.

Assuming of course the cops arent gambling or engaged in activities at a local brothel.

The corner booth near my place is supposed to have bike cops but you rarely spot them thesedays. They never do any traffic enforcement.

Cops are lazy in LOS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Patong –A Swedish man was arrested after he allegedly exchanged counterfeit Euro currency in Patong.

The Patong Police told the Phuket Express that on Monday (February 26th) at 1:40 P.M. they were notified by a staffer at an exchange booth in Soi Saen Sabai on the Phang Mueang Sai Gor Road that a man was trying to exchange counterfeit money. They rushed to the exchange booth and found a Swedish man still there.

The staffer told police that the Swedish man had tried to use counterfeit Euro currency to exchange for Thai Baht. The Swedish man was taken to the Patong Police Station legal action.

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-02-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

Buy a better proper printer I'd say...🥳

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

The thing about Thailand is when a foreigner commits any crime the Thai's immediately call the police 191 and the police will be on the scene within minutes because they are always nearby and on motorbikes ...    and thai's like seeing foreigners being arrested.

Where as in other countries,  yes ... they will call the police,  but because of all the bureaucracy and call transfers to the correct department and police station and then to an officer in charge,  by the time the police know where to go to investigate, and with traffic it could take up to 30-60 minutes later to arrive.

...."..thai's like seeing foreigners being arrested".... I like too, criminal foreigners being arrestet....what else:coffee1:

Happening alot recently,I also notice that they check every note and old us bills will not be accepted.500 euro note was cancelled i think to stop fraud and money laundrying too.Apart from showing passport  to exchange you will not get away with it in thailand

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

Happening alot recently,I also notice that they check every note and old us bills will not be accepted.500 euro note was cancelled i think to stop fraud and money laundrying too.Apart from showing passport  to exchange you will not get away with it in thailand

QR scan payment solves all problems with money and payments. Too bad countries like the US are sticking to the stone age in that regard. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good grief. What an utter load of tripe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Thonburi-tales said:

Assuming of course the cops arent gambling or engaged in activities at a local brothel.

The corner booth near my place is supposed to have bike cops but you rarely spot them thesedays. They never do any traffic enforcement.

Cops are lazy in LOS.

Thanks for the recycled tropes. Much appreciated.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Zack61 said:

These money changers scrutinise foreign currency pretty well. I tried with 4 different changers to exchange a USD100 note and they all rejected it for the same reason. A tiny print defect on the top edge. Even when it was mixed with other notes they all picked up on it and refused to accept it. The note was legit and the defect was hardly noticeable so it comes as no surprise this guy was apprehended 

When I used to travel to Cambodia a lot I used to only take $50 & $20 notes with me, never $100. Not sure if they didn't want 100's because it took so many smaller notes to change, or they didn't have sufficient smaller notes to change it, or worries about counterfeits. That's my tip for travellers to Cambodia, never take $100's with you.