Swedish Man Arrested for Exchanging Counterfeit Money in Patong

webfact

It is worrying that citizens from rich countries like Sweden break the law ......quessing that Thailand has Swedish Laws.....where the Police for petty crimes let you go free......
The crime of counterfeiting banknotes in the European Union is almost unpunished because the Judicial Authorities have laws that counterfeiters are not actually commit forgery crime of banknotes but......according to the law forgery a work of art (some months or.....days in prison depending from counterfeit amount of money).

The punishment should be at least 5 years ban to ender Thailand and permanent registration to Royal Thai Police Authorities to check him out thorough baggage screening when he will try to ender again KIngdom of Thailand in airports or crossing the borders.

Congratulation to Royal Thai Police Department and to exchange booth employee for their promptly response!

Edited by Paris333

8 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Happening alot recently,I also notice that they check every note and old us bills will not be accepted.500 euro note was cancelled i think to stop fraud and money laundrying too.Apart from showing passport  to exchange you will not get away with it in thailand

500 Euro notes are still valid , but not printed anymore by national E.U. banks , but still in use as easy for cash transport

13 hours ago, Zack61 said:

These money changers scrutinise foreign currency pretty well. I tried with 4 different changers to exchange a USD100 note and they all rejected it for the same reason. A tiny print defect on the top edge. Even when it was mixed with other notes they all picked up on it and refused to accept it. The note was legit and the defect was hardly noticeable so it comes as no surprise this guy was apprehended 

I remember years ago having to order 5k in $100’s at the bank several days before traveling.

Stood at the tellers window 15 minutes while inspecting each bill for excessive folds, blemishes , marks ,rips .The first time I came I had 7 bills rejected.Lesson learned.

Only If I had known about Schwab Banks debit card then.

13 hours ago, BananaGuy said:

Sloppy reporting, again …

How many ‘counterfeit’ notes?

One or two notes? He’s probably a victim

not a perp.

A whole bunch of notes? He’s maybe dishonest and maybe dumb … those FX places check notes like hawks.

How could this guy be a victim?  He got it out of a bank machine?  He's a perp.

21 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

The Swede was definitely in on the scam, but at the lowest level.  They're used to physically launder the fake notes anywhere they can, and they're not exactly the smartest of criminals.

Two recent stories means there must be a lot of fake Euros in Thailand right now.

I'm guessing maybe North Korea as the source, they're supposedly the biggest counterfeiters of dollars and € in the world.

Two recent stories means there must be a lot of fake Euros in Thailand right now.

I'm guessing maybe North Korea as the source, they're supposedly the biggest counterfeiters of dollars and € in the world.....Maybe, But I Believe You can buy FAKE US$ on Amazon....

On 2/28/2024 at 5:53 AM, Zack61 said:

These money changers scrutinise foreign currency pretty well. I tried with 4 different changers to exchange a USD100 note and they all rejected it for the same reason. A tiny print defect on the top edge. Even when it was mixed with other notes they all picked up on it and refused to accept it. The note was legit and the defect was hardly noticeable so it comes as no surprise this guy was apprehended 

Same with me, I changed 5 legit £20 notes from my UK bank. The girl at the exchange wasn't happy with one of the notes and refused to accept it.

She didn't explain why.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:47 AM, Cabradelmar said:

Well, if there is one thing Thais know, it's what money looks and feels like (all denominations). You might want to try that trick somewheres else. 

When the euros were first printed I was staying at a well known high rise Patong condo. One day the Aussie manager called me in the hallway and took me to his office . He showed me some euro notes and asked me what I thought. I could see straight up that they were counterfeit. Thankfully for him the guy was still at the condo and was caught. I’ve always been used to handling cash being in business, and it’s easy when you know. Even today, I can spot a good fake on first look. The paper quality to start with then the hologram and the metal line running through is real. Usually fake money is used in markets, small shops , maybe bars , some restaurants. Tho everywhere now abroad has a machine and a pen handy tho it’s rarely needed. They’d never pass in a bank transaction. 

• Like 1