First trip on the M6

surreybloke

Travelled south on the M6   recently   .   Was it worth it ?      80 kph speed limit   .    Did it shorten the travel time to BKK ?    not much.  When I left i still had to fight with the wagons in the outside lane as everyone crawled  up the hills.      Little sign of any work to complete.   Managed to miss the start going north.   

Edited by surreybloke

• 2 weeks later...

I went on it recently. I can't remember when but I think it might have been a holiday and it was opened to ease traffic. The speed limit seemed very low but I assumed it was because all the barriers hadn't been fitted. I think it might have been 60kph then as well. It was very slow and although I tried to keep my speed down I couldn't go that slow. Speed limits here often don't make much sense and it's not unusual to see 2 different limits on the same road. Everybody else was speeding past me as you'd expect and the only vehicle going slower than me and not exceeding the limit was the pickup reversing along the left hand lane. No idea where he was going to though.

Probably be better when it's finished though. Assuming they don't think it's good enough as it is and they've run out of money anyway.

On 3/2/2024 at 2:17 AM, flyingtlger said:

I hate driving in Thailand....

Barring the immense traffic nowadays, commuting and the obvious bizarre shenanigans that one routinely witnesses on Thai roads, I generally enjoy driving here. Have done many road trips over the years (bikes and cars) and greatly enjoy it when compared with the angst and utter boredom of driving back home in the 21st century. 

I must admit if you can get off the main routes rural driving can be a pleasure.  Try driving down rural back streets when they are drying rice in the road.    Never understood the rural dogs sleeping in the middle of the road.