Renew driving licence Department of Land Transport Chatuchak BKK

Hi 

Renew 2 year driving licence Department of Land Transport Chatuchak BKK. 

Do you need to make an appointment? 

Passport copy / Original. 

Visa copy. 

Letter of residency. 

Doctors letter. 

Anything else? From above needed. 

I have a 2 year which is about to finish. 

Cheers 

Thanks 

Gee

22 minutes ago, Gee Bangkok said:

Anything else? From above needed. 

I suggest you do that e-Learning procedure at home and get a QR code.

Can save you sitting at the office and watch some video there.

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/

Quite boring and some very simple questions.

I have just done that in preparation for my 5yr/5yr extension next week.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

How long is the QR code valid for?

Edited by stubuzz

Medical certificate is for 30 days.

Cost me a 100 Baht. Quite a farce.

The real important facts are self qualified by signature (epilepsy e.g.).

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for that. The video was errr fun lol... Yes online is the way to go with it sure! 

I'm doing it a little early as I was at immigration, so got the letter. So hopefully 2 months early is OK?

On 3/5/2024 at 4:03 PM, Gee Bangkok said:

Thanks for that. The video was errr fun lol... Yes online is the way to go with it sure! 

I'm doing it a little early as I was at immigration, so got the letter. So hopefully 2 months early is OK?

90 Days before up to one year after

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 12:50 PM, KhunBENQ said:

The page in the URL for private cars says not required for Driving Licence renewal...I think:

It does not apply to obtaining a new driver's license and driving license renewal

28 minutes ago, samtam said:

The page in the URL for private cars says not required for Driving Licence renewal...I think:

It does not apply to obtaining a new driver's license and driving license renewal

I will know in three days. The English website of DLT does not help much.

Daughter (Thai) had confirmed I needed it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I will know in three days. The English website of DLT does not help much.

Daughter (Thai) had confirmed I needed it.

If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. I started to watch the vdo and there was a question about brake distance depending on speed, but the answer only came subsequently, and I got it wrong, so will have to have another go. It is rather protracted and unfocused, but I suppose if required, better to watch it at home, rather than at DLT. 

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I will report back on the 13th.

Thanks! I just asked a Thai staff member here. He says for renewal before expiry of 5 year DL, (which I am), no need for oral question. Also he said no need for form completion, just return old (existing) DL.

(But this may only be for Thais.)

Anyway, I await your report. I was planning on going tomorrow, but my Certificate of Residence will not be available until Wednesday; I already have the Medical Certificate.

As far as I understand it, we only have to do the nonsensical antediluvian tests with wooden sticks etc. 

No need for pictures they take. 

Yes return old DL. 

Went today very quick and easy.... I watched the video before hand... Showed the QR code which I saved on my phone. 

4 little tests, color of traffic lights, depth of perception, and peripheral vision, and brake test. 

505THB 5 years 

Done in less than 2 hours. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:19 AM, samtam said:

If you could let me know, I'd appreciate it. I started to watch the vdo and there was a question about brake distance depending on speed, but the answer only came subsequently, and I got it wrong, so will have to have another go. It is rather protracted and unfocused, but I suppose if required, better to watch it at home, rather than at DLT. 

Came to my mind today:

the e-Learning is NOT a >mandatory< prerequisite.

It just makes sure that you can get the license without any tutoring/watching video at the office.

Simplifies/speeds up the process.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Gee Bangkok said:

No need for pictures they take. 

Yes return old DL. 

Went today very quick and easy.... I watched the video before hand... Showed the QR code which I saved on my phone. 

4 little tests, color of traffic lights, depth of perception, and peripheral vision, and brake test. 

505THB 5 years 

Done in less than 2 hours. 👍

Thanks to you and Kh Benq. Will watch the vdo and get the QR code.

The other question that sprang to mind today is whether I can use my certificate of residency from IMM for both Thai DL renewal and International Driving Permit (IDP), if I apply for both on the same day. I only have 1 original, but wonder whether it would work for 2 things. IDP also seems to require an original letter/certificate. Sounds too simple and logical, but I might try and do it that way. (I'm going to Japan in May and want to drive, but Thai DL requires IDP.)

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, samtam said:

Thanks to you and Kh Benq. Will watch the vdo and get the QR code.

The other question that sprang to mind today is whether I can use my certificate of residency from IMM for both Thai DL renewal and International Driving Permit (IDP), if I apply for both on the same day. I only have 1 original, but wonder whether it would work for 2 things. IDP also seems to require an original letter/certificate. Sounds too simple and logical, but I might try and do it that way. (I'm going to Japan in May and want to drive, but Thai DL requires IDP.)

I think you will need 2 letters of residency. Interesting if you can use twice. 

On 3/11/2024 at 11:19 AM, samtam said:

Just coming back with my new "6 year" license.

The majority of people did not have the QR code from the elearning. They had to spent time watching video and/or tutoring.

I was out at 9:30 (office opens 8:30 and just walked in).

Spent some time waiting for the documents entered to the IT and start of eye/reaction test.

This was not at a Bangkok office.

But quite obvious you can save time at the office by having the QR code.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The majority of people did not have the QR code from the elearning. They had to spent time watching video and/or tutoring.

Spent some time waiting for the documents entered to the IT and start of eye/reaction test.

Thank you. Very helpful. Having received my Certificate of Residence this morning, I will go off to Chatuchak (one of Bangkok's DLT centres) next week, and watch the vdo and get the QR code. Appreciate your input!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just completed the course and received my certificate with QR code.

The date is completely wrong....says completed Private Driving Licence on 19 September 2023.

I will be going on 19 March which is exactly 6 months, and it states *results of training are valid for 6 months from completed training date.

Hope it works. Maybe the QR code says something else?

2 hours ago, samtam said:

The date is completely wrong....says completed Private Driving Licence on 19 September 2023.

I will be going on 19 March which is exactly 6 months, and it states *results of training are valid for 6 months from completed training date.

I really think no one really looks at it.... 

Don't worry just show it. 

No one scanned mine... Or looked to check 

Smile... No problem🇹🇭

13 hours ago, samtam said:

Maybe the QR code says something else?

Unlikely because the QR is the link to your test result and shows the same as after the course. Wrong date is mysterious. No idea except checking the settings on your device.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 3/13/2024 at 6:25 PM, samtam said:

Managed to renew my 5yr Thai DL at Chatuchak (Bangkok) Department of Transport this morning with relative ease. They accepted my DLT eLearning QR code, which I completed last week on 13 March 2024, despite the fact that the acknowledgement of completion stated the date as 19 September 2023; (my laptop has all correct dates and times). They simply noted that today was the last applicable date, to fall within the 6 month validity.

Anyway, that obviously saved time, and I only had to complete the eye and co-ordination tests; the brake machine almost had me fuxed, but they let me have second go.

Subsequently I applied for and received an International Driving Permit (IDP), which I will require when I travel to Japan in a couple of months.

All very efficient, and the staff helpful and polite. Thai DL less than 1 hour, IDP about 30 minutes.

Edited by samtam
  • Thumbs Up 1