Mae Ram Phueng beach, filthy!

Hanaguma

Just went there yesterday to look at a few possibilities for buying a condo. Was last in the area about 6 years ago, at that time it was beautiful and a very easy to walk on beach. Now? Appalling. Trash covered, with debris that seems to have been there for a long time - fishing gear, garden tools, even a toilet brush. Plus the usual household garbage. And the area was dying- so few people about and many businesses permanently closed. Any insight into what happened?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

i was around there Friday, its normally OK but storms/rough seas can scoop a lot of crap up and deposit it on the beach.

Interesting...then what happens ? Any idea if or when it gets cleared up? It was sad as we saw a very nice older condo for a good price that was quite appealing, then we went for a walk. Just couldn't see walking on such a sad beach every day.

Thanks for your response!

I agree, it is very sad. It does get cleared up......eventually. I sometimes wonder if its left at times to see if the sea swallows it up and carts it off to somewhere else.

Just now, KhunLA said:

The beach at Rayong province ?

Think I'd be more concerned about the oil, although the trash seem to be a constant problem also.

I thought you lived on the other side of the bay?

• Like 1

The last time we were there, several years ago, the beach was absolutely filthy, too.  We were appalled at how bad it was--trash everywhere.   Trash on top of trash.  And, like you said, it looked like it had been there for a long time, not just recently washed up from a storm.   It made us appreciate how clean and well-cared for Pattaya's beaches are.

35 minutes ago, sungod said:

i was around there Friday, its normally OK but storms/rough seas can scoop a lot of crap up and deposit it on the beach.

This occurs all down the eastern coast - similar here in Chanthaburi all it takes is a strong wind to mess up otherwise clean beach - I'm going swimming today at Chao Lao and expect there'll be a line along the high tide mark of squid boat lights, buoys, bits of net, plastic bottles, and always a shoe - usually encrusted with little shellfish they've been at sea for some time.

Up to the resorts and restaurants along Chao Lao beach to clean up, but the other main beach at Laem Sing has council workers who 'sweep' the beach every morning, not even a windblown leave escapes their attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sungod said:

I thought you lived on the other side of the bay?

Yes ...

We live on other side of the Gulf, below Hua Hin

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes ...

We live on other side of the Gulf, below Hua Hin

OK, just wondered how you knew about oil slicks and trash being a constant problem. Living that way I don t see it myself.

18 minutes ago, sungod said:

OK, just wondered how you knew about oil slicks and trash being a constant problem. Living that way I don t see it myself.

Actually MRPB in the Pattaya forum gave me pause to think ... "isn't that in Rayong province?"

So opened in Gmap, to see if another beach, with same name was in Chonburi province, as can be in TH ... apparently not.

Then opened Gmap MRPB Rayong, to see if any current photos of trashed beach in 'latest photos' and again not.

Then simply Googled for images of  'MRPB Rayong trash dirty' with time frame of 1 week, and got the oil slick story.

And yea ... I'm bored, so now you have a window into my thought process :coffee1:

Still working my way through the last 10 hours or AN while talking to my daughter on FB, as it's her birthday, and how blasphemous it is for her to have to work today.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Appalling. Trash covered, with debris that seems to have been there for a long time -

Did you pick it up or just leave it there like everyone else does?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually MRPB in the Pattaya forum gave me pause to think ... "isn't that in Rayong province?"

So opened in Gmap, to see if another beach, with same name was in Chonburi province, as can be in TH ... apparently not.

Then opened Gmap MRPB Rayong, to see if any current photos of trashed beach in 'latest photos' and again not.

Then simply Googled for images of  'MRPB Rayong trash dirty' with time frame of 1 week, and got the oil slick story.

And yea ... I'm bored, so now you have a window into my thought process :coffee1:

Still working my way through the last 10 hours or AN while talking to my daughter on FB, as it's her birthday, and how blasphemous it is for her to have to work today.

happy birthday to her

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sungod said:

I think you are right, it was clean about 6 weeks ago

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:26 PM, Hanaguma said:

Just went there yesterday to look at a few possibilities for buying a condo. Was last in the area about 6 years ago, at that time it was beautiful and a very easy to walk on beach. Now? Appalling. Trash covered, with debris that seems to have been there for a long time - fishing gear, garden tools, even a toilet brush. Plus the usual household garbage. And the area was dying- so few people about and many businesses permanently closed. Any insight into what happened?

Happens every year about this time, a few months back it was was nice here. Here being further north but in Rayong province. The tides change and bring in old trash. Some people walk the beach collecting plastic, some trash goes back out with tide. I've seen small fridges, helmets ...wash ashore. It's not pretty, it gets so bad I won't even take dog for a walk on the beach. I won't be going for a swim till the water clears.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:19 AM, Goat said:

Did you pick it up or just leave it there like everyone else does?

Hardly a fair question for a couple of reasons. 

First, looking at tons of flotsam up and down the beach, one guy can't make a dent without heavy equipment that none of us own.  Second, it's easy to get sideways with scavengers that make their living scrounging recyclables.  (Something I learned when I used to pick up trash in a rented canoe in Lumpini Park.  They gave me the evil eye until they figured out I was going to give the plastic bottles away when I got to shore.  Then I became their good friend.)

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Something I learned when I used to pick up trash

Good on ya mate. If everyone was like us there wouldnt be a problem.

On 3/5/2024 at 8:26 AM, Hanaguma said:

Could do with a new toilet brush.Where was it situated please?

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:02 AM, KhunLA said:

Riveting.