Swiss retiree’s brutal attack on Thai woman sparks outcry in Trang

25 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Only after he beat her the first time.

So, by your logic, if it was okay for her to throw the bottle at him, then it was okay for him to go back and hit her again?

Is that really what you are saying?

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

She mouthed-off at him for moving her shopping cart which she had left in the middle of the aisle.

Guy needs counselling.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

She retaliated as any normal person would do after being attacked.

I don't think that's normal. I've never done that,  so maybe I don't "get it"

Self defence, okay, but violent retaliation (revenge), nah.

You can spin it that way if you like.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Now you can put any spin on that you like to try and justify your position.

What's my position?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Not at all the same thing, the guy was out riding at night on a very busy road, maybe he wished it upon himself. It was an accident, this thing is not accidental, pure rage.

Yes, not the same, for sure. In the case of the Thai woman who killed the Swiss man, she fled the scene and "offered to surrender the next morning" (that would be after any alcohol dissipated from her bloodstream...) after the man died, perhaps due to her not calling for help immediately.... It's all about self preservation. She may not have had "pure rage", but her reckless (it said she was traveling at a high speed), irresponsible, and selfish actions ended a human life.
At any rate, yeah, not the same. In the end, the manslaughter is worse. A lot worse. Tremendously worse. I suppose it could even be argued to be murder since she refused to render aid and perhaps he may have lived if she had rendered aid.

Not to excuse this insane woman-beater though. The guy should suffer the full penalty and then be deported AND banned, after his jail time is served.

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I don't think that's normal. I've never done that,  so maybe I don't "get it"

Self defence, okay, but violent retaliation (revenge), nah.

You can spin it that way if you like.

What's my position?

Missionary?

• Confused 1

Absolutely shocking. This should have some serious consequences.

Also, why do I keep seeing this about Western retirees in Thailand? What makes them so aggressive there?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Revoke his visa, send him back to nothing.

I think he would get his visa revoked if they found him guilty of charges,  chances of which are real high since there are multiple witnesses.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

May he R.I.P. 

But no, they will either say it was a 'misunderstanding', or 'suicide' by the Swiss... - With all the publicity about Swiss citizens in Thailand, perhaps some Swiss will think twice before booking a holiday here in the near term.

I suppose I couldn't blame them too much, when even the Thai media company that wrote the article about the accident and ensuing crime, referenced here, slandered Swiss people and Switzerland with their outrageous prejudicial comment - "There must be something in Swiss drinking water...", insinuating that from these two recent events, on can surmise that Swiss people must all be whackos.

11 hours ago, Dolf said:

Find this hard to believe. More to story. She probably made racist comments or something.

Then we are back to frustration of living in Thailand. How to succeed in a racist country, mentally and physically. 

Thailand is not for everybody, where you get frustrated by how it is status q! 

Put the pair of them on the same plane home as spending at least 10 years in the Hilton no man should ever hit a women,,these aholesare really going to cause those of us that are law abiding to be punished. 

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Let's hope the Thai woman who hit and run killed a 73 year old Swiss tourist in Pattaya last night gets similar attention.

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think there was enough and much more that have been said about this subject, yes, this guy is an a-hole and

by now he got or will get what he deserves, but not like he murdered or rapped someone,

not as if the locals are white doves in their treatments of their fellow Thais, so ok, the message was clear

and everyone learned a lot from it... 

What is with all this Whataboutisms? One crime doesn't have to do with the other. Man did vile crime, he should face the consequences and do hard time and deported.

And what's the point of the end comment? I don't follow the logic. Every country has people who mistreat people, that's not special license for immigrants/visitors or anyone to misbehave.

6 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

So the answer is obvious

Well, I know there is racism I thailand, I see it, but I hardly get affected by it. I could made a problem of it, but choose not to. We are the same home, nothing special about thai racism, they just havent focused on the problem, as we have done, and back home far over the top to being ridiculous.

I accept racism, because it is natural and they do not know better. The racism is worst among themselves, Im not that much affected as them who experience it on daily basis at work, at school, at holidays.

My wife if she arrives a 5 star hotel before me, she is sometimes treated different than after Im arriving, because of her darker skin than bangkok high so ideal.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Aisles in Tops and Foodland seem to be crowded like that. Not so much Lotus. I encounter a cart jam just about every time I go to these stores. I just stand there and wait for them to move. Not punching, shoving, or yelling. What was so important in this guy's life that he couldn't wait a few seconds or even a minute for the woman to move out of the way?

Agreed!

Mind you this is my wife’s explanation of the News that she listened too.

I do the same as you or I’ll go up to them , smile and politely say Kor Tort Na!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

Absolutely shocking. This should have some serious consequences.

Also, why do I keep seeing this about Western retirees in Thailand? What makes them so aggressive there?

Not sure if it applies here, or if the guy is just having a mental break, and/or on something or is generally psychotic. There's a rise in retiree crimes commited out of loneliness and want for attention.

Maybe he's one such case, maybe he arrived in Thailand thinking he would find companionship and didn't, which led to mental health deterioration, commiting crime might be a cry for help and a ticket back home for family or just his own countrymen to have to interact with him.

Follow the Singaporean model. Cane him in public that throw him out of the country.  

I don't care where his is from. He is a guest in Thailand, as am I, and has committed

an egregious offenses against a Thai nation, a lady no less. 

I have managed to behave myself as a "guest" in this country for 15 years. If other

farang cannot do the same, KICK THEM OUT! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hummin said:

I accept racism, because it is natural and they do not know better. The racism is worst among themselves, Im not that much affected as them who experience it on daily basis at work, at school, at holidays.

So you think "racism" exists only in Thailand?