Why is there so much trash on the grass verges in Hua Hin

I've just returned from 5yrs in NZ.  Previously I was living out in Mae Rim for 6-7 years. 

I'm now down in Korat.  And my what a change.  I cannot believe the amount of plastic rubbish everywhere. 

Most people say NZ is green but I doubted that as I even saw way to much rubbish there.  This place is terrible. 

I get the im

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Eventually, this will just get worse as I have seen rubbish everywhere.....but it's not a Thai thing, I never saw anything like this where I previously lived in CM for 20 years.

All I can say is that CM must be the exception ! As soon as the grass dies off you'll see the extent of the problem.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Dammit phone is going nuts... 

I get the impression that the locals don't give a damn.  They need plastic to do business and to hell with the environment. 

I'm no greenie but I am shocked by lack of cleanliness/ pride in their own backyard. 

everything is just a show here. 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Yep I've seen a few news articles like that.... 

So why the hell don't they clean up their own back yard? 

Oh short memory... Cause they don't give a damn.  It's below them to clean up. 

They're too lazy to find a Bin ...

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 12:36 PM, expatnews said:

here-like-there.jpg

Ridiculous. post   

...I never experienced this problem in CM.

I never knew there WAS a problem with plastic bags in HH until I got here.

I am definatley not here because it's better.

It's different.

That's all.

You can save this post for a newbie trying to change the visa laws....not me, a 20 year resident

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:57 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Having recently moved here I am appalled at the ammount  of rubbish that is tossed out of cars here.  Where I live , near the King's sponsored walking and excercise park it's awful, it's as if everybody accepts that this is where rubbish should be dumped! Now the problem is starting on Soi 88 , in the 5 months I have been here I have seen it deteriorate.

My wife has called the correct department, but they would not put her through to K.Nong who is apparently the head rubbish honcho.....she was told that they do not have the manpower to clean it up...they said they put signs up ...the ones that say there is a 2,000 baht fine for fly tipping, but the problems just get worse. They say there is no money for cctv.

I already collect a whole bin liner of rubbish from the top of my soi once a week, that gives me enough blisters so I don't want to do anymore.

What kind of pressure can we put on the local council to deal with this?

If you have seen this mess please let me know.

Eventually, this will just get worse as I have seen rubbish everywhere.....but it's not a Thai thing, I never saw anything like this where I previously lived in CM for 20 years.

But this is seriously affecting my love for HH

Go back to CM

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

It doesn’t help when the only rubbish bins are in front of the local 7/11. 
This is a problem throughout Asia and most of the world. 
My worst experience, going back a few years now, was on the highway between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. There was an endless river of plastic either side of the road which I would guess to be metres deep in places

• Sad 1

My Mrs reckons a lot of this behaviour stems from the time when she was little - much of what they bought from shops came wrapped in banana leaves - they would then of course toss the leaves on the side of the road. 

This has continued, but sadly with plastic instead.

🙉 see 🙉 do

Mostly as i have witnessed the truck drivers toss stuff out of their windows while driving. However, I have seen many Thais do this as well. Even so much as to look like they were emptying a trash bin on the grass on the roadside. I am not sure if the trash collection department will pick up trash in this fashion. However, I do know that there are some government offices that take time out of their office cleaning trash on the roadsides voluntarily or as a team building experience hmm?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Surasak said:

In all my travels in Thailand I have seen one, YES ONE, small town where the locals took pride in there surroundings. Can't tell you the name but on the road between Phuwiang and Nong Bua Lamphu. The road was clean, no rubbish to be seen. There were bins outside every house and each one was painted red and white. All the houses and yards were neat and tidy and the whole place looked well cared for. It made such an impression I have never forgotten it. What it is like now I wouldn't know as this was at least 15 years ago.  But it just goes to show it can be done. 

We live equidistant from four small-ish villages.....only two houses are bordering on the tidy....and they stand out like a sore thumb......I look on in total amazement at the state of all the rest.