How the Israel-Hamas conflict could disrupt the Paris Olympic Games

image.png

The upcoming Paris Olympic and Paralympic Games are poised to be one of the most significant global events of the year, drawing over 15 million visitors to the French capital. However, amidst the excitement and anticipation, there looms a shadow of concern over security, particularly in light of ongoing conflicts around the world.

The recent flare-up of violence between Israel and Hamas has added a layer of complexity to the security challenges faced by France as the host country. Jean-Baptiste Guégan, an expert in sports geopolitics, highlighted the geopolitical implications of the Israel-Hamas conflict on the Olympics, emphasizing that sport cannot exist in a vacuum and is inherently intertwined with political realities.

The issue of Israel's participation in the Games has been brought to the forefront, with questions raised about how Israeli athletes will navigate potential encounters with Palestinian athletes or supporters. The specter of past tragedies, such as the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre, where Palestinian militants killed 11 Israeli athletes, adds to the apprehension surrounding security preparations for the Paris Games.

Despite these concerns, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach has assured that Israel's participation in the Games is not in question. However, the possibility of confrontations or protests involving Israeli athletes remains a point of contention.

The Paris 2024 organizing committee has pledged to implement unprecedented security measures to safeguard the Games, including deploying tens of thousands of police officers, soldiers, and private security agents. Additional precautions, such as requiring QR codes for entry into certain areas, are also being considered to enhance security protocols.

The opening ceremony, set to take place outdoors near the Eiffel Tower, presents a particularly daunting security challenge. With millions expected to attend, ensuring the safety of participants and spectators alike is paramount, especially in the wake of recent terrorist attacks in France.

Yael Arad, President of the Israeli Olympic Committee, expressed confidence in the French authorities' ability to ensure the security of the Israeli delegation. However, concerns persist among law enforcement officials about the strain that the Games will place on already overburdened police forces.

The French police union has voiced concerns about staffing shortages, overwork, and inadequate compensation for officers tasked with securing the Games. Despite assurances from the government, many officers feel ill-prepared and under-supported for the monumental task ahead.

Moreover, the recent surge in antisemitic incidents in France following the October 7 Hamas onslaught adds another layer of complexity to the security situation. The rise in antisemitism underscores the need for heightened vigilance and proactive measures to prevent hate crimes during the Games.

As the countdown to the Paris Olympics begins, the spotlight remains firmly on security preparations. While the French authorities are taking steps to mitigate risks and ensure the safety of all participants, the magnitude of the task at hand cannot be underestimated. With the eyes of the world on Paris, the success of the Games hinges on effective security measures and collaborative efforts to address emerging challenges.

Source

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh boo hoo. Over 30,000 people blown to bits and some games are more important?

I hope they do get disrupted as it might serve to focus attention on something more important than running fast.

Many of those were terrorists though 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2024 at 5:19 AM, Social Media said:

The issue of Israel's participation in the Games has been brought to the forefront

Of course Israeli athletes should not be allowed to compete. Who in their right mind thinks they should? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2024 at 11:29 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh boo hoo. Over 30,000 people blown to bits and some games are more important?

I hope they do get disrupted as it might serve to focus attention on something more important than running fast.

Mostly innocent kids and women. 

I hope there are big protests against this human tragedy committed by Israel. 

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Inadvertently adding credence to my statement🤔

You're going to be dissapointed.

Israel will compete and they will be winning medals as well.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Of course Israeli athletes should not be allowed to compete. Who in their right mind thinks they should? 

What about Palestinian Arab Muslim Israelis athletes , should they be eliminated  as well or just the Jewish Israelis be eliminated ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're going to be dissapointed.

Israel will compete and they will be winning medals as well.

In that case Russians should be welcome? 

Actually, they are not as bad as it's a fair fight. 

Why is your country supporting the slaughter of Palestinians but not Ukrainians? It's all just a political game for Biden. Supplying the bombs and trying to get a ceasefire, grow a pair, USA, the world can see your priorities. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

In that case Russians should be welcome? 

Actually, they are not as bad as it's a fair fight. 

Why is your country supporting the slaughter of Palestinians but not Ukrainians? It's all just a political game for Biden. Supplying the bombs and trying to get a ceasefire, grow a pair, USA, the world can see your priorities. 

Hamas attacked Israel.

Russia attacked Ukraine.

NEXT

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Mostly innocent kids and women. 

I hope there are big protests against this human tragedy committed by Israel. 

If the games go ahead I have no doubt they will be disrupted by protests. Such a brilliant way to make Gaza even more well known would be to carry out protests- Palestinian flags being produced on the winner's podium perhaps.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the games go ahead I have no doubt they will be disrupted by protests. Such a brilliant way to make Gaza even more well known would be to carry out protests- Palestinian flags being produced on the winner's podium perhaps.

That will definitely happen. Perhaps if Israel have the audacity to go, they could be shamed to leave, maybe by booing. Also, the USA could be booed if they win anything as they are complicit in the Genocide.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Agree 1

History repeat itself:

Munich massacre | Facts, Victims, Terrorism, Olympics, & ...

The Munich massacre was a terrorist attack on Israeli Olympic team members at the 1972 Summer Games in Munich orchestrated by affiliates of the Palestinian ...
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

History repeat itself:

Munich massacre | Facts, Victims, Terrorism, Olympics, & ...

The Munich massacre was a terrorist attack on Israeli Olympic team members at the 1972 Summer Games in Munich orchestrated by affiliates of the Palestinian ...

I was there.

Hopefully not again.

There is always that risk with Palestinian terrorists.

Israelis will not be cowered.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I was there.

Hopefully not again.

There is always that risk with Palestinian terrorists.

Israelis will not be cowered.

You are trying to put the blame on Palestinians!

Israel's continued practice of detaining Palestinians without trial and expanding settlements into Palestinian territories is the reason for resentment from Palestinians. Indiscriminate bombing by Israel in the current conflict is going to feed that resentment for decades. Thousands of Palestinians, including women and children, are in Israeli prisons under administrative detention orders, which allow authorities to detain individuals indefinitely without charge or trial. This practice violates international human rights. One thing that Munich incident did was bring the plight of Palestinians to light. 

To prevent future tragedies like the Munich incident, Israel must take real steps towards ending its policies of arbitrary detention and land expropriation; it's not rocket science. Israel are the real terrorists here.

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Israel's continued practice of detaining Palestinians without trial and expanding settlements into Palestinian territories is the reason for resentment from Palestinians. Indiscriminate bombing by Israel in the current conflict is going to feed that resentment for decades. Thousands of Palestinians, including women and children, are in Israeli prisons under administrative detention orders, which allow authorities to detain individuals indefinitely without charge or trial. This practice violates international human rights. One thing that Munich incident did was bring the plight of Palestinians to light. 

To prevent future tragedies like the Munich incident, Israel must take real steps towards ending its policies of arbitrary detention and land expropriation; it's not rocket science. Israel are the real terrorists here.

OMG!

A new low.

Defending the Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Olympics.

Shame on you.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OMG!

A new low.

Defending the Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Olympics.

Shame on you.

Instead of addressing what I wrote, ie the prisoners, you go for a personal, unfounded attack. Out of order. 

I understand your fear/hatred of Palestinians through your religion, or is that ethnicity? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Instead of addressing what I wrote, ie the prisoners, you go for a personal, unfounded attack. Out of order. 

I understand your fear/hatred of Palestinians through your religion, or is that ethnicity? 

I really can't get past your defense of terrorism which isn't really very far from promoting it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Just not true. There is not many women or children under administrative detention at all. In fact it's only 11 women and 40 children as of Feb.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20240208-number-of-palestinian-administrative-detainees-in-israeli-prisons-rises-to-3484/

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I really can't get past your defense of terrorism which isn't really very far from promoting it. 

Bizarre, I do not condone terrorism from either PLO or IDF. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Bizarre, I do not condone terrorism from either PLO or IDF. 

Your post making excuses for terrorism at the Olympics indicates differently.

BTW -- as I said, I was at the Munich Olympics so naturally I followed news about that.

Yes of course the Palestinian terrorists were to blame but sadly the Germans have a lot to answer for as well. 

As far as Paris, we can be assured that the athletes will be getting very beefed up security. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:49 PM, Jingthing said:

Your post making excuses for terrorism at the Olympics indicates differently.

BTW -- as I said, I was at the Munich Olympics so naturally I followed news about that.

Yes of course the Palestinian terrorists were to blame but sadly the Germans have a lot to answer for as well. 

As far as Paris, we can be assured that the athletes will be getting very beefed up security. 

Bizarre again, your bias in this conflict is obvious. Quote where I make excuses for terrorism. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Bizarre again, your bias in this conflict is obvious. Quote where I make excuses for terrorism. 

You clearly blame the targets of Palestinian terrorism instead of the Palestinian terrorists themselves. Disgusting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:19 PM, Neeranam said:

I don't understand your irrational and obsessive demonization of Israel and as above obviously bleeding into Jew hatred.

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't understand your irrational and obsessive demonization of Israel and as above obviously bleeding into Jew hatred.

I never mentioned Jews, jeez....

Most of the world are against Israel's Genocide, you are a minority here.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I never mentioned Jews, jeez....

Most of the world are against Israel's Genocide, you are a minority here.

No he's not, you're now making things up.........:huh:

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

We are talking about a country that has levelled 85% of Gaza, killed 30,000 people including at least 20,000 civilians and is on trial for genocide in the ICJ.

You don't think any of the condemnation is warranted?

I think that posters that use terminology like "sub human" are also disgusting!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

We are talking about a country that has levelled 85% of Gaza, killed 30,000 people including at least 20,000 civilians and is on trial for genocide in the ICJ.

You don't think any of the condemnation is warranted?

Who told you 85% of buildings in Gaza have been levelled? over 13,000 terrorists killed how does that make at least 20,000 civilians killed?