Debit card online fraud!

I read similar stories before and now it happened to me. Multiple online purchases for 33 and 83 baht which I didn't do, eating up all my debit card balance (which was not so high, about 2000 baht, because I never keep large amounts in this card exactly for this reason). If there was more, I think they would steal it all. The transaction info says it's for Youtube/Google, but I think it can be easily spoofed. I used this debit card for online purchases, but only on trusted websites like Amazon, Agoda, Ebay, Bolt app, nothing sketchy. And I never used it for Youtube/Google services.

Of course I contacted my bank's customer service and canceled the card. They said they opened a dispute and would investigate into this issue.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Sad 1

Sometimes websites or services you sign-up for cycle small transactions of that size to verify debit accounts.  Have you signed up for any subscription services?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dddave said:

Sometimes websites or services you sign-up for cycle small transactions of that size to verify debit accounts.  Have you signed up for any subscription services?

No. Did you read my post? It was more than 20 transactions for around 2000 baht in total. They only stopped when the balance dropped to almost zero.

Edited by JoseThailand

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

I read similar stories before and now it happened to me. Multiple online purchases for 33 and 83 baht which I didn't do, eating up all my debit card balance (which was not so high, about 2000 baht, because I never keep large amounts in this card exactly for this reason). If there was more, I think they would steal it all. The transaction info says it's for Youtube/Google, but I think it can be easily spoofed. I used this debit card for online purchases, but only on trusted websites like Amazon, Agoda, Ebay, Bolt app, nothing sketchy. And I never used it for Youtube/Google services.

Of course I contacted my bank's customer service and canceled the card. They said they opened a dispute and would investigate into this issue.

Have you installed any dodgy apps on your phone? When this was happening to a lot of people, I believe most banks disabled international transactions for debit cards by default until you specifically asked them to reenable it. I could no longer purchase a Netflix membership for example after they did it.

Hackers are the last that make me concern. Usually internal bank problems such as employees or someone has copied your card information (at your own home or ....) . I never use debit for online/stores, ATMs only. 
CC is not too difficult to be obtained. (I don't have any)

16 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

They only stopped when the balance dropped to almost zero.

Do you think your account balance is visible ? 🤔

Not sure which bank your with, but on the SCB app you can block online transactions and just unblock them when you want to make an online purchase.

• Like 1

With Starling you can create multiple virtual cards a day, one major reason is to stop fraud, i.e. a purchase from a new company or use a new card, has a low limit, can even close it straight after, other banks have same

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, The Theory said:

Do you think your account balance is visible ? 🤔

Yeah, when the balance was lower than 83 baht, the transaction amount, and their attempted transaction failed.

Edited by JoseThailand

Are you sure the sites you make purchases (above line on your pc screen) the link starts with : https://........?

Are you sure the sites you make purchases aslo has : the locked keys?

Are you sure that you type for example : www.and the site name ?

Are you sure that you didnt make double mouse click in a sending link may send you in your phone or in your computer device?

How often do you clean with external program to erase your browsing history from your installed web browser? 

How often do you make updates in your antivirus application in your computer?

How often do you scan for viruses your computer? (at the end of the day)

I am sure your Bank is very easy to find the recipient of your stolen money because its a kids game for professionals in Banks.

Pay attention on every inquiries I refered above and do not make double mouse click in links that may send you either online in mail box or mesages in your smartphone.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2024 at 10:17 AM, JoseThailand said:

That's why I have a dedicated debit card for online shopping and keep only small amounts there

You'd be better off with a credit card, which, I guess, is harder for some to get than a debit card.... Some credit card issuers, like Capital One, have virtual credit cards that use throwaway credit card info (tied to your actual account, of course) for online purchases. Nice safety feature. Plus, of course, fraud won't clean out, nor even touch, your bank account. Getting a credit for a fraudulent purchase is faster and more efficient than trying to reload your bank account. Then, most credit cards have cash back credits -- and the credit card companies have better guarantee policies, as far as I know.

Anyway, I'm preaching to the choir. If you have the option of a credit card over a debit card -- you're already there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 11:21 AM, Taxi said:

Not sure which bank your with, but on the SCB app you can block online transactions and just unblock them when you want to make an online purchase.

Not very convenient to block/unblock every time you wanna use a taxi app, for example