Dead Sea Turtle Washes Ashore on Jomtien Beach

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A large dead sea turtle was discovered washed ashore on Jomtien Beach in Pattaya early Friday morning, March 8th, 2024.

The Pattaya municipal special operations officers and sea rescue personnel received a report from tourists about the dead animal at around 00:46 AM. The lifeless sea turtle was found near Soi Jomtien 10, Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province. Authorities responded to the scene upon receiving the report.

There, authorities discovered a large green turtle carcass laying on Jomtien Beach. Estimated to be 7-10 years old, the turtle measured approximately 80 cm in length and weighed around 50-60 kg. The body exhibited signs of decomposition, with deep wounds on its shell. 

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-03-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

isn't it perfectly normal for wild animals to die , often before reaching the end of their natural life expectancy.?  I thought it was called "natural"   What is to be gained from the "authorities" getting involved, and what is the point of performing an autopsy ?  

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

isn't it perfectly normal for wild animals to die , often before reaching the end of their natural life expectancy.?  I thought it was called "natural"   What is to be gained from the "authorities" getting involved, and what is the point of performing an autopsy ?  

Turtles live far longer than this one did and dying of deep wounds on it's shell is not natural causes. Propeller strike is the likely explanation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Drifted all the way from Israel/Jordan?

That was my first reaction too, Dead-sea turtle? never mind that no leaving creature can survive there there other

than bacteria...

59 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

What is to be gained from the "authorities" getting involved, and what is the point of performing an autopsy ?  

You might noy be interested in why an animal should die at a relatively young age, which this one has, but environmentalists and marine biologists usually are, hence an autopsy.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

You might noy be interested in why an animal should die at a relatively young age, which this one has, but environmentalists and marine biologists usually are, hence an autopsy.

So its been bit by a shark or chopped by a propeller   fascinating eh?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Turtles live far longer than this one did and dying of deep wounds on it's shell is not natural causes. Propeller strike is the likely explanation.

I agree  ,  now what?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

More like a propeller strike after it was already dead and floating on the surface.

My money would be on plastic stuck in the gut.

Sherlock signing off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, quake said:

More like a propeller strike after it was already dead and floating on the surface.

My money would be on plastic stuck in the gut.

Sherlock signing off.

In case I'd missed something I read the article itself to see something I'd missed but to no avail. My money is on occam's razor.

Propeller and collision injuries from boats are not uncommon. These types of injuries are more frequent in areas with a high level of recreational boating

https://seaworld.org/animals/all-about/sea-turtles/longevity/

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The body exhibited signs of decomposition, with deep wounds on its shell. 

Died of natural causes, plastic consumption, hit by a propeller... only the order of which happened first is in question.

• Thumbs Up 1