So why are you here late at night?

I'm up in Luang Prabang, north Laos.  I'm often awake in the wee small hours because:

- Some of my online students live in EU/USA and their classes at at midnight or 1am my time.  They were my students a few years ago when they lived in China and Russia, but they relocated to 'the West'.  I don't want to stop teaching them, besides...

- I'm a shortwave radio amateur (about the only one in Laos), and the radio signal propagation god decreed that the best time to hear radio signals from afar is in the middle of the night!!

• Thumbs Up 1

So why are you here late at night?

There are very many reasons why somebody, other than you, may be posting at a time your mummy taught you that you must sleep.

Most of us, particularly those who venture out into the world, usually understand that people and their circumstances (and sleeping patterns) vary greatly for many reasons.

Try to reason outside your little box.

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

Bet the air is cleaner in morocco

Def. not to mention clearer skies and star-viewing in the Sahara than I have ever seen.

But future note to self: always check the weather.

It's so cold here at this time of year that I have been living (and sometimes sleeping) in the single sweater I brought "just in case".

No Central Department Store here to pop into and upgrade your wardrobe. It's either buy a traditional djellaba man-dress or nothin'. Djellaba's only comes in sizes small and x-small.

Plug adapter for my laptop (again, due to slack pre-trip planning) was a 2 day search and a dozen phone calls. This place makes Roi Et seem like Oxford Street.

Still a great trip. You can stay in a 5* traditional hotel (called a riad), packed with antiques and elaborate tiling, for $40. The natural sights of the dessert are at The Grand Canyon level.

You should have started a poll/survey on this topic. Easier, more enjoyable and everyone can see the results. That said...I'm here full-time/round-the-clock/24-7/365

13 hours ago, Dolf said:

I hope your year is ok. Im back in Bangkok next month. 

If one night in Bangkok makes a grown man humble, its gonna knock the pi$$ out of you!! 🎉

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Oh I have empathy for you ,.....but...look on the bright side your 83 so not much longer to go 

You enjoy what you have left 

Who's 83, Gamma??? 🤔

Edited by 2baht
  • Haha 2

simple.....  most not work here... or work late.... not like where your from 9-5   so theres one simple reason.. myself try to get to bed when I hear morning islam prair call (Dawn)

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

If one night in Bangkok makes a grown man humble, its gonna knock the pi$$ out of you!! 🎉

How does that work?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm here if you both need any counselling and a friendly ear 👂

Anger is a expression that both of you ,you both have PTSD sadly 

So happy you have adopted us real Ozzies penchant for bashing 'Tall Poppies'. Best leave Dork out of that catergory tho, he fails on several levels. Keep your chin up GG, but watchout, its easier to get slapped that way!! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Olmate , Please don't talk like that to Dolf 

Please have some feelings for others on here , and how they may be feeling after your expressing yourself in that manner 

I hope you can get your anger sorted Olmate 

If you need a listening ear please message me 💜💜

Yeah, nah! 

I’m a snowbird. In the 80s I thought Thailand was a paradise . I spent 4/5 months here every year . Went elsewhere too, S.America mostly , but always thought when I retired I’d buy a great condo and live here. I enjoyed visiting all over Thailand often, but also all the neighboring countries, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore, even Japan., Borneo, Australia etc. Got to 60 and I decided I was better off in the South of France , my hometown , and carrying on spending my winters in Thailand. Luckily never had problems with visas, and I enjoyed leaving Thailand on the border hops or new visa hunting. I know I could never live all the year round tho. I get too bored. And paradise is long gone.

I still like my news and follow AN daily , get help when I need it , now I’m 71 and life all to my liking.

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

I’m a snowbird. In the 80s I thought Thailand was a paradise . I spent 4/5 months here every year . Went elsewhere too, S.America mostly , but always thought when I retired I’d buy a great condo and live here. I enjoyed visiting all over Thailand often, but also all the neighboring countries, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore, even Japan., Borneo, Australia etc. Got to 60 and I decided I was better off in the South of France , my hometown , and carrying on spending my winters in Thailand. Luckily never had problems with visas, and I enjoyed leaving Thailand on the border hops or new visa hunting. I know I could never live all the year round tho. I get too bored. And paradise is long gone.

I still like my news and follow AN daily , get help when I need it , now I’m 71 and life all to my liking.

Well, I lived in a few countries myself but never went back to my birth country, just for holidays. I also lived in Thailand for a few years, but I got sick of all the visas applications and moved back to Australia. I was not born in Australia but have been here for 40 years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:22 PM, 2baht said:

Nah, n00dle, a non drinker! Early to bed, early to rise......

2baht

Especially with your disability where you are housebound 

I always thought judging by your intelligent intellectual riveting  posts you were a drinker 😳,.......maybe ...maybe you should start?

21 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

2baht

Especially with your disability where you are housebound 

I always thought judging by your intelligent intellectual riveting  posts you were a drinker 😳,.......maybe ...maybe you should start?

When I need your advise, gg, I will ask! Don't hold your breath waiting!

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

When I need your advise, gg, I will ask! Don't hold your breath waiting!

There's nothing wrong with being housebound and using this forum to address your lonilessness 2baht .

I do suggest you start drinking though 

We are all your support mate 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

There's nothing wrong with being housebound and using this forum to address your lonilessness 2baht .

I do suggest you start drinking though 

We are all your support mate 

Thanks gg, my wife passed away 1 year ago but I have two grown children I see daily! I am not even tempted to drink alcohol! Loneliness is not something that bothers me, I have great family support here. We must move forward!

15 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Thanks gg, my wife passed away 1 year ago but I have two grown children I see daily! I am not even tempted to drink alcohol! Loneliness is not something that bothers me, I have great family support here. We must move forward!

Action is everything.

19 hours ago, 2baht said:

Some people need to stop the alcohol to make them less nasty .....in your case you need to start ...

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Some people need to stop the alcohol to make them less nasty .....in your case you need to start ...

I think you’re answering the wrong person ! It’s  Dolf  the nasty idiot. 

• Haha 1