Complicated scenario of abuse, passports and marriage

Na Fan

20 hours ago, impulse said:

Edit:  Though I'd add that her passport being held up for over a year adds a new level of complexity, since she would have needed it to renew her permission to stay and renew her WP.  Leading me to suspect that she's not working legally.  Not that I care.  Just that it adds a new wrinkle.

I don't believe Laos people are required to have a passport to work in Thailand.

Just a letter from immigration seems to be enough for all citizens of the neighbouring countries.

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You said he's violent, and you want to cause problems for him and attract his attention on you home and family. Best not rock the boat IMHO.

So, because someone is violent, he should get away with his despicable actions? Glad some people still have the courage to help other people and not hide in a shelter all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

So, because someone is violent, he should get away with his despicable actions? Glad some people still have the courage to help other people and not hide in a shelter all the time.

Police laid no charges. Why? Maybe it was self defence. Women lie all the time. 

• Sad 4

On 3/13/2024 at 6:43 AM, Na Fan said:

She really just wants to get out of this mess and not be locked down  anymore. Her passport (Laotian) is currently still held by the embassy and they are not just returning it upon request.

I am wondering as well if we do not have the fully picture. The whole thing seems odd. But the embassy offered her only to "borrow" her passport (I saw that email from the embassy staff myself), which was really odd.

There might be more to the case, than told here, Norway is (normally) a fair state.

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

There might be more to the case, than told here, Norway is (normally) a fair state.

And holding on to a passport for a year is something that smells to the heavens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't believe Laos people are required to have a passport to work in Thailand.

Just a letter from immigration seems to be enough for all citizens of the neighbouring countries.

They need a passport.

11 hours ago, Dolf said:

Police laid no charges. Why? Maybe it was self defence. Women lie all the time. 

Typical reply from you. Don't be a pratt all your life, have a day off!

In many countries domestic violence often goes without charge.  It is aslo very common

My dad used to beat the sh*t out of my mother every time he had too much ale - which was at least every weekend. One one occasion he poured a pan of boiling water over her - scarring her for life.  The police were often called yet no charges were ever made. When I reached 14, I stopped that violence but my mother had suffered for many years and I cannot think of a single time where she caused it. Why women stay with men like that is beyond me but they often put up with years of abuse.

Amazingly (and commonly), many women won't press charges against their husband.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

She's Lao, as you say. If she has not registered marriage outside Norway, then she's still single outside Norway. She could get a letter from her government stating she is single, and a freedom to marry document, which would allow her to marry anyone else.

I don't know about Norway, but in Thailand there's an abandonment option, where one party to marriage can claim abandonment after 1? 2? years, after which divorce can be granted, whether the other party signs any divorce papers or not. However to annul marriage in Norway, the paperwork would need to be handed to Norwegian authorities. It's also possible to do that at Norway embassy, but may be complicated by the part that she's Lao, not Thai.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 12:43 PM, Na Fan said:

She really just wants to get out of this mess and not be locked down  anymore. Her passport (Laotian) is currently still held by the embassy and they are not just returning it upon request.

I am wondering as well if we do not have the fully picture. The whole thing seems odd. But the embassy offered her only to "borrow" her passport (I saw that email from the embassy staff myself), which was really odd.

Is she really dealing with the Norwegian embassy, or VFS, who deal with all the applications and forward details to UDI for consideration?

VFS does not normally keep a passport for Residence Permit applications. I have helped a few friends of my wife through this process and passports have only been retained when applying for a visa, not the Residence Permit.

There is/was a backlog of Residence Permit applications, but she should have a UDI reference number which will give you an expected date of any decision, and all other information, which is available in English.

When or if, the Residence Permit is issued, there is normally a six month requirement to enter Norway, or it then becomes invalid.

She should be able to cancel any application by contacting UDI online and then having the passport return.

8 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Typical reply from you. Don't be a pratt all your life, have a day off!

In many countries domestic violence often goes without charge.  It is aslo very common

My dad used to beat the sh*t out of my mother every time he had too much ale - which was at least every weekend. One one occasion he poured a pan of boiling water over her - scarring her for life.  The police were often called yet no charges were ever made. When I reached 14, I stopped that violence but my mother had suffered for many years and I cannot think of a single time where she caused it. Why women stay with men like that is beyond me but they often put up with years of abuse.

Amazingly (and commonly), many women won't press charges against their husband.

That was 40 years ago. Times have changed. No charges and no passport. More to this story.

11 hours ago, Dolf said:

That was 40 years ago. Times have changed. No charges and no passport. More to this story.

40 years ago??? You just can't help yourself can you?  Do you not think that just about all members here know what you're up to?  Obviously not but go ahead, if you want to continue looking like a pratt everytime you post anything, be my guest.

It wouldn't matter if it was 400 or 4 years ago, domestic violence against women by men is up by all methods of counting - especially during and since the pandemic.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

40 years ago??? You just can't help yourself can you?  Do you not think that just about all members here know what you're up to?  Obviously not but go ahead, if you want to continue looking like a pratt everytime you post anything, be my guest.

It wouldn't matter if it was 400 or 4 years ago, domestic violence against women by men is up by all methods of counting - especially during and since the pandemic.

You are posting some story from 40 years ago or 35 if that makes you happy from another country and applying it to 2024 in Norway. You are the one acting like a pratt. You are on here bragging about sleeping with women online.

The police in Norway are decent hard working people. It is their job to assess these things based on all the evidence from both parties. Ranting on a forum and pretending you know it all won't change a thing.

• Confused 1

What is with all these lonely farangs who get legally involved with marriage ? Have they not learnt with time ? Have your fun, be with a girl but getting involved legally ? Some just seem to look for the trouble in thinking their girl is different. She is not. She is all nice and better then those in Europe for sure, but it's also cultural. Just far to many differences that are normal, but that can lead to highly toxic relationships and having the farang loose everything he as. Is that a way to finish one's existence ?

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Dolf said:

The police in Norway are decent hard working people. It is their job to assess these things based on all the evidence from both parties. Ranting on a forum and pretending you know it all won't change a thing.

I have not criticised the Norwegian Police but unlike you, I don't 'claim to know it all', I reseach before I claim.

A little bedtime reading for you.

https://www.nkvts.no/english/report/not-worth-talking-to-police-about-violence-in-close-relationships-that-are-not-reported-to-the-police/

'The number of reported cases of domestic violence increased by 500 percent from 2005 to 2011.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_Norway

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I have not criticised the Norwegian Police but unlike you, I don't 'claim to know it all', I reseach before I claim.

A little bedtime reading for you.

https://www.nkvts.no/english/report/not-worth-talking-to-police-about-violence-in-close-relationships-that-are-not-reported-to-the-police/

'The number of reported cases of domestic violence increased by 500 percent from 2005 to 2011.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_Norway

Nothing in those links that proves guilt to either party in a case you know little about.

• Haha 1

Just now, MangoKorat said:

I never said it did.  You know exactly why I posted that. Enough of your stupidity for one day thanks, good day.

You have unresolved issues and you are projecting that onto the internet. Calling complete strangers names. 

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 6:43 AM, Na Fan said:

I would think that an urgent visit to the Embassy is needed . Is it 100% sure it is the Embassy that has her documents? Could the husband have picked them up, lied, etc ??  When she knows she can apply for a new Laotian passport . Just keep the husband at bay. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geisha said:

I would think that an urgent visit to the Embassy is needed . Is it 100% sure it is the Embassy that has her documents? Could the husband have picked them up, lied, etc ??  When she knows she can apply for a new Laotian passport . Just keep the husband at bay. 

We solved that part of the equation.  She will be able to pick up her passport at VFS after the embassy has sent it there. It will take a few days, so next week she will have her passport back, and be able to leave to Laos and re-apply for a Thai visa & work permit. 

Problem is that due to this dilemma, she's now 30 days on overstay of her Thai visa. Not sure how immigration will deal with that with Lao citizens. Might cost her some money to sort it out, but hopefully she can do so without getting put into the detention center. From what I know is that westerners can just sort it out by paying at the immigration desk, up to 20k. But there's a risk of being banned from coming back. That would be bad as she does have a well paying job here now.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/14/2024 at 9:12 AM, brianthainess said:

Tell the Norway Embassy she wants her Passport back Now, or you will make a police report of Theft. Sounds dramatic but it is what would be necessary to obtain a new Passport.

On 3/14/2024 at 9:16 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

How can the Norwegian Embassy hold her passport for a year!  As a Laotian she needs her passport for Extensions, 90-day reports etc and for ID purposes while living in Thailand.  

Makes no sense that the Norwegian Embassy would be holding her passport hostage. If so, yes, report it to the cops and go to all media to expose the Norwegian embassy.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Makes no sense that the Norwegian Embassy would be holding her passport hostage. If so, yes, report it to the cops and go to all media to expose the Norwegian embassy.

It's more likely the Laos woman is lying to the OP about everything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

If the story is true sounds like OP is in love with the gal and probably having an affair.

ha ha the imagination is running wild eh!

You're not that far off though. She is dating a dear friend of mine.

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's more likely the Laos woman is lying to the OP about everything.

No, no. Just odd. See my post above.