Complicated scenario of abuse, passports and marriage

Na Fan

7 minutes ago, Na Fan said:

ha ha the imagination is running wild eh!

You're not that far off though. She is dating a dear friend of mine.

No, no. Just odd. See my post above.

Yes, my imagination does run wild retired with not a lot to do except hang out on this dumb forum all day.

On 3/13/2024 at 12:43 PM, Na Fan said:

She really just wants to get out of this mess and not be locked down  anymore. Her passport (Laotian) is currently still held by the embassy and they are not just returning it upon request.

I am wondering as well if we do not have the fully picture. The whole thing seems odd. But the embassy offered her only to "borrow" her passport (I saw that email from the embassy staff myself), which was really odd.

Sounds like love to me, from you for her.

On 3/13/2024 at 10:45 AM, Na Fan said:

Hi all

Posting here as due to the complexity of the situation it doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Looking for advise, and I'll try to summarize best I can.

- Person of Laos origin, lives and works in Thailand

- Married a guy from Norway, was married for 8 years and has been to Norway several times

- In the process of applying for residence permit in Norway, passport and documentation is at the Norwegian embassy here in Thailand for a year now

- Got beat up severely (repeatedly) by the (ex-)husband, made police report with photos and all. Police took no action.

- Wants to get divorced, but is now being blackmailed by the spouse (wants ring back, wants police report annulled or won't sign divorce papers)

- Marriage has NOT been registered anywhere  outside of Norway

Of course there's lots more to it, but that's kind  of the gist of it.

What can one do to assist here?

I'm European and married to a Thai myself, so I am somewhat familiar with the fact that things quickly get complicated when multiple countries get involved.  But with this I guess I'm somewhat in over my head. But I've been asked for advise and I'm trying to help best I can.

Some questions I have:

- What if the current visa application is simply abandoned, passport cancelled and a new one is gotten? Can we just inform the embassy of that fact, rendering the current application null and void, and solving that part of the equation?

- What about a divorce at an international level. We can't afford expensive lawyers. Looking for things we can realistically do ourselves. Either here in Thailand (we're here), in Norway (we do have some contacts there), or in Laos (family is there).

- What if we were to just ignore the fact she's married in Norway. Could she get married legally elsewhere in the future?

- Any other important things one should not forget?

Thanks for any feedback

Fan

Thank you for at least trying to help the lady, As you can see by some of the responses to your posts, many posters here are too wrapped up in themselves, to care about anyone else.

Some posters have made sensible suggestions.

At least one other poster is simply to stupid to be allowed out on his own.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for at least trying to help the lady, As you can see by some of the responses to your posts, many posters here are too wrapped up in themselves, to care about anyone else.

Yeah I know. The trolls and donkeys are the reason why I hesitate to post here in the first place. And I really only do it when I sort of need to for one reason or another.

But thanks for the kind words. They are indeed appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Yeah I know. The trolls and donkeys are the reason why I hesitate to post here in the first place. And I really only do it when I sort of need to for one reason or another.

But thanks for the kind words. They are indeed appreciated.

I have a similar problem on other topics and TBH I am getting bored with some of the comments and the posters of the 'confused' emoji, who never respond when I ask why they are confused.

On 3/16/2024 at 1:13 PM, billd766 said:

Fortunately, most here know about Pike.............🙄

• Haha 1