On A Serious Note, What's The Deal With All These Suicides In Pattaya?

Weho

I once read about a country where military service is placed above everything so much that when one is drafted at the tender age of 20, you never get rid of it untill you have reached an ripe old age. All this time the mighty warmen have

their military-gear at home, like high boots, shoepolish, 3 needles and of course the shotgun. Talk about stable relationsships, environment, hubbies ect., last year in the paliament of that country,

political lefties have started a motion, that with regards to the alarmingly high suicide rate of warmen suggesting to lock up the shotguns in a save place rather than let those men take those dangerous things home after the

mandatory anual refresher. of course the rightwingers immediatley rejected with the argument that the defendability of the place must be guaranteed at all times unless of course reduit has been proclaimed before.

Even the political rightwing women suggested, it would be saver to have the guns locked away. Maybe because as far as money goes, you need somebody to get up early in the mornig.

So, it is not only Pattaya where problems like these happen. The thing about Pattaya may be, that the dream in a far away country may turn into a nightmare eventually for whatever reasons.

When I see the average age of this community, I assume that health might be one of the problems.

A survey raised in that country also concluded that the most prone are the very young and the elderly.

An old man loosing all his money to a GF?

Different version in Europe. A person phones somebody. Hi I am a very distant relative of you, momentarely in the area and I thought I just check on how you are. Good? Delighted.

Listen I work for a very renound firm and am supposed to buy a car. Now my problem is the banks you know unreliable again. So if you could lend me 100 000 Euro just for one day would be terrific.

And guess what. The person runs to the bank, daws and hands it all over the alleged relative. Thanks aunty sweet until tomorrow. Of course tomorrow never comes so the police is involved.

And the police says you are not the first case, we don't know what to do. People turn up, collect and disappear again.

If for whatever reason you forget to say No at the wrong moment, it gets very expensive.

Also suicides committed in one place could mean similar psychological patterns accumulating in this place which could have happend otherwise in many different places. So Pattaya actually is the victim of its own actractivness.

The problem with the current Thai rulers is the different interpretation of certain laws regarding company ownership.

Actually laws should not be interpretet, they should be written that every government comes to the same conclusion. Money? Maybe you can't have it both ways.

I wonder, if anyone has ever bothered to take blood samples from the jumpers. If somebody would be vicious enough,

I suppose, it would be easy to drug a person then tell him he sure could do with some fresh air and you know what.

I thought discussion of suicide was covered in Rule #1 for users of this forum. I am surprised that it's ran this long.

I know, I know, talking about Moderation may also get you a stool in the corner facing the wall.

and it makes me a bit angry when one realizes the attitude of the Thai government over the past year or so, which has been anti-farang, anti-easy of Visa, etc., discouraging long-stay farangs who want to spend money here,

So, you're saying that the Thai government is at fault for the suicide rate and that they should provide financial incentives for every farang who is too poor to live in his own country and whose own country fails to provide for him/her in retirement??

I fail to see why every problem faced by any farang always comes down to being the fault of the Thai people or the Thai government.

The highest suicide rates are in the world: Country, year of data, male rate per 100,000, female rate, total rate

1. Russia 2002 69.3 11.9 38.7

2. Lithuania[3][4] 2005 68.1 12.9 38.6

3. Belarus 2003 63.3 10.3 35.1

4. Kazakhstan 2002 50.2 8.8 28.8

5. Slovenia 2003 45.0 12.0 28.1

6. Hungary 2003 44.9 12.0 27.7

7. Estonia 2002 47.7 9.8 27.3

8. Ukraine 2002 46.7 8.4 26.1

9. Latvia 2003 45.0 9.7 26.0

10. Japan 2002 35.2 12.8 23.8

11. Sri Lanka 1996 NA NA 21.6

12. Belgium 1997 31.2 11.4 21.1

13. Finland 2003 31.9 9.8 20.6

14. Croatia 2004 30.2 9.8 19.6

15. Serbia and Montenegro 2002 28.8 10.4 19.3

16. Switzerland 2001 26.5 10.6 18.4

17. Cuba 1996 24.5 12.0 18.3

18. Austria 2003 27.1 9.3 17.9

19. Republic of Korea 2002 24.7 11.2 17.9

20. France 2001 26.6 9.1 17.6

I assume the blame for all of these lies somehow with the Thai government too?

There are a lot of old, lonely, poor, sick, mentally unstable farangs who have come to Thailand, especially Pattaya. They bring their baggage with them. It's hardly the responsibility of Thai people or the government.

If you're so concerned, start some outreach programme in conjunction with one of the Pattaya Expat clubs and/or a local church. Start walking around chatting up elderly farang on the beach and listen to their problems (and solve them). Of course, as is true of so many problems, it's far easier to make a speech, blame someone else, and then feel all warm & self-congratulatory for your useless rant.

Any retirement community largely populated by elderly people, especially people who are no longer connected to their families, is going to have a high incidence of depression, despair and suicide. People who have cut themselves off from families or who have not been able to save properly for retirement or who think happiness will come from friendships based solely on money are going to face even more problems than those faced by people in more stable situations who are aging.

Thailand is one of the most accomodating places in the world. People are far more pleasant to the elderly here than in most places. They are still not responsible for looking after everyone who pitches up here for a cheap retirement.

I agree it's not the fault of the Thai government/people... but they have created/permitted a magnet here for people to come... they make a lot of money based on the foreigners they allow to live here... it works both ways: they benefit, and so do the farangs... But I think it is reasonable for them to provide a public service, maybe like a "help line", so desperate people have at least somewhere to turn to. And yes, if the home country doesn't properly help people set up for their retirement, it doesn't mean Thailand should pay/absorb any of those costs... but it almost seems like a blind eye is being turned...

Farangs jump off buildings, the Thais clean up the mess, and wait for the next farang suicide... it's as if NOTHING is being done. All I'm suggesting, at a minimum, is to have some trained people, for desperate people to turn to, to be able to talk to and get some advice... If the Thais did that, I would say they could have a clear conscience about at least TRYING, or doing SOMETHING... maybe not much, but at least SOMETHING... right now, NOTHING is being done. And the Thais bear some responsibility for that.

And your statistics of suicide rates has nothing to do with foreigners living in a foreign country. That was all meaningless information. The only relevant statistics would be comparing foreign suicides in Thailand, to say foreign people who moved TO the U.K. or USA to retire, and how many of THOSE people committed suicide... it's probably a BIG difference, with many more suicides in Thailand by foreigners living here.

Good topic weho, although sad and many people inc myselfe prefer to not think about it!

been some good answers on here, been some idiots as well, but overall most reasons above id agree with, money or bieng ripped off, by girl or boy is sum num nar, cos we were daft enough, but to end your life, crazy! ill never understand them, and unfortuatly never be able to help them!

I was in a car going undersome tunnels in leeds and saw a woman about to jump off from above, we pulled in ran back looked up and ??

what do you shout to someone who aint looking down?

what can you say?

for me luckily the police did a grab job and she was off and in the back of an ambulance!

Now i have never felt so F@cking helpless in my whole life, i was worn out like id just had a fight, gotta be the worst day in my life, but with the best possible outcome!

The samaritans yep good idea, would it work here in pattaya, no idea.

Im in a bar most days and you get to hear a lot of rubbish, but you hear a lot of the scams etc, but for some reason some people here dont heed advice!

its like your talking to a teenager back home, they listen then say yeah good idea,then go and do whatever stupid idea they were gonna do in the first place??

i let myselfe down now, i tend to agree with people, ie man walks in bar first day of arrival on soi 6 and says im 62 years old and just met an 18 year old girl and shes fallen in love with me so im off to the bank and buy a house in her name in burriram.

before i would mention some of the traps people fall into, but people dont want to hear that, and wont heed it so now it, a shake of the hand and congradulations mate well done and hes happy!

now does that make me a <deleted> or what? dont know, not happy with it, but it works!

Weho you do some very funny threads, of which i like to wind you, this one is your best and if something good comes out of this keep me posted, if i can help im in!

chris

Lest we forget Weho, the kind of people taht are drawn to Pattaya. Whilst many of the real expats are decent guys, the fact that it also attracts the lowest scraps of western society.

Losers arrive in Pattaya. Losers kill themselves over a girl. No mystery why people kill themselves.

It also attracts even lower scraps from thai society , unfortunately that's all that's available to us farangs to get involved with.

There are just some people who are destined to kill themselves. Having worked CHP on Golden Gate Bridge, I can tell you first hand some people are very determined to "do it".

The bleeding hearts want to put nets under the bridge to try and deter the jumpers,.

Some of us used to say why not have jump day once a month or so, charge admission and give the money to charity. Some folks just don't want to be alive, thats the bottom line. Up to them.......

There are just some people who are destined to kill themselves. Having worked CHP on Golden Gate Bridge, I can tell you first hand some people are very determined to "do it".

The bleeding hearts want to put nets under the bridge to try and deter the jumpers,.

Some of us used to say why not have jump day once a month or so, charge admission and give the money to charity. Some folks just don't want to be alive, thats the bottom line. Up to them.......

Lifes a long road bob, and sometimes we go wrong, if i ever go wrong, please, dont offer to help me!

what does CHP stand for? is that some sort of company or goverment body that is there to help people?

well i looked, and your views are slightly different from your boss's!

The mission of the California Highway Patrol is to provide the highest level of safety, service, and security to the people of California. This is accomplished through five departmental goals:

Prevent Loss of Life, Injuries, and Property Damage - To minimize the loss of life, personal injury, and property damage resulting from traffic collisions through enforcement, education, and engineering. To enforce the provisions of the California Vehicle Code and other laws to prevent crime.

Maximize Service to the Public and Assistance to Allied Agencies - To maximize service to the public in need of aid or information, and to assist other public agencies when appropriate.

Manage Traffic and Emergency Incidents - To promote the safe and efficient movement of people and goods throughout California, and to minimize exposure of the public to unsafe conditions resulting from emergency incidents and highway impediments.

Protect Public and State Assets - To protect the public, their property, state employees, and the state's infrastructure. To collaborate with local, state, and federal public safety agencies to protect California.

Improve Departmental Efficiency - To continuously look for ways to increase the efficiency and/or effectiveness of departmental operations.

http://sfgate.com/lethalbeauty/

"The bleeding hearts want to put nets under the bridge to try and deter the jumpers,"

makes you wonder what sort of people they are, dont it!!!!

No wonder you dont work there anymore bob!

i do hope you reflect on your statment, and all the best to you!