Judge dismisses some charges against Trump in the Georgia 2020 election interference case

Social Media

image.png

The judge overseeing the Georgia 2020 election interference case has dismissed some of the charges against former President Donald Trump and others involved, but the majority of the indictment remains intact. Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee ruled that six counts in the indictment, including three against Trump, must be quashed due to insufficient detail provided by prosecutors about the alleged crimes. However, McAfee left in place other counts, including 10 facing Trump, and allowed prosecutors to seek a new indictment on the dismissed charges.

The indictment accuses Trump and more than a dozen other defendants of violating Georgia's Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), alleging a "criminal enterprise" to maintain Trump's hold on power after he lost the 2020 election. The charges stem from various actions, including a phone call Trump made to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, urging him to "find 11,780 votes," and attempts to persuade Georgia lawmakers to appoint new Electoral College electors favorable to Trump.

Lawyers for Trump and other defendants have pleaded not guilty, and no trial date has been set. McAfee's ruling marks the first time charges in any of Trump's four criminal cases have been dismissed, posing a setback for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis. The ruling also comes amid challenges to Willis's prosecution, including efforts to have her removed from the case due to her romantic relationship with a colleague, Nathan Wade, who serves as a special prosecutor.

Meanwhile, the nearly 100-page indictment in the Georgia case details numerous alleged acts by Trump and his allies to overturn his election defeat. Four defendants have already pleaded guilty after reaching deals with prosecutors, including prominent Trump allies Sidney Powell and Kenneth Chesebro. The Georgia case overlaps with a federal case in Washington, where Trump faces charges of conspiring to overturn his election loss, as well as a separate case in New York accusing him of falsifying his company's records.

The dismissal of some charges in the Georgia case adds another layer of complexity to the legal challenges facing Trump and underscores the ongoing scrutiny over his actions surrounding the 2020 election.

Source

image.png

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tug said:

Now he’s just got a measly 88 felony’s lol not withstanding the defamation judgment and the business fraud convictions a mere 1/2 billion in fines!!!yup a fine top knot h presidential candidate only the best people!!!(sarcasm alert) 

You can LOL all you want. Trump just became (per the Federal election commission) the presumptive Republican nominee and this coming 2024 presidential election is going to be decided by 6 or 7 states only which scares the <self-deleted> out of me.

And to me, all these civil and criminal cases are a side-show compared to that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

You can LOL all you want. Trump just became (per the Federal election commission) the presumptive Republican nominee and this coming 2024 presidential election is going to be decided by 6 or 7 states only which scares the <self-deleted> out of me.

The lol is how I deal with the profound humiliation as an American that this so obviously unacceptable criminal is the republican nominee and he has a chance of winning it is indeed horrifying and profoundly saddening 

30 minutes ago, Tug said:

The lol is how I deal with the profound humiliation as an American that this so obviously unacceptable criminal is the republican nominee and he has a chance of winning it is indeed horrifying and profoundly saddening 

As the old gospel saying goes: Keep Your Eyes on the Prize.

To me, the Prize is Trump is not again President. All these cases are a distraction to that.

And the US Constitution does not prevent a 'criminal' indicted or convicted from becoming President.

Edited by jerrymahoney

44 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

As the old gospel saying goes: Keep Your Eyes on the Prize.

To me, the Prize is Trump is not again President. All these cases are a distraction to that.

And the US Constitution does not prevent a 'criminal' indicted or convicted from becoming President.

Trump cannot win the presidency without the votes of moderate Republicans and swing voters.

The criminal trials absolutely undermine his ability to garner the votes of these moderates.

• Like 1

Nothing is absolute until 6 November 2024.

The swing states in pink (and maybe NC) will decide the election and they are all too close right now for ANYONE to call.

And this is from CNN 28 FEB 2024:

CNN
 — 
If the Democratic voters of Michigan – and a handful of other swing states – are feeling uncommitted in November, Joe Biden could lose reelection.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/28/politics/biden-michigan-vulnerabilities-israel-gaza/index.html

image.png.6999ccdbc5a5755b219b85814380dea0.png

Edited by jerrymahoney

11 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

There are some factors in the upcoming election that have nothing to do with the candidates that will impact the results.

The Republican candidate for governor of North Carolina is such a nut job that he may put the state in play.

Some states have referenda on abortion that will spur turnout.

I think the battlegrounds will be larger this time around.

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I think the battlegrounds will be larger this time around.

Good for you. Out of about 11.5 million votes in Georgia, Arizona, and Wisconsin, the margin of difference was about 44,000 votes or less than 0.5 % of the total vote.

Weather could be a deciding factor on turnout.

Mar 13, 2024 Just six battleground states are rated toss-ups by Cook Political report in the 2024 presidential election, all of which were won by President Joe Biden in 2020 and will weigh heavily in determining the winner of the 2024 presidential election—as polls predict a tight race.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2024/03/13/these-are-the-six-swing-states-trump-needs-to-take-from-biden-to-win-in-november/