New Drug For Aids

dee123

I had an hiv test some years ago and I will quote word for word what the qulified medical professional said to me "if you haven't been a drug user or practise in gay sex it is a very unlikely that you could contract this virus"

Good news for all! Good to hear the power drugs are coming in!

I also had a HIV test but was told, 'By the very nature of sex there is less likelihood of infection if you are a male.'

This doesn't mean acting irresponsibly.

Its like being told 'Theres only a 10-15% chance of your head being ripped off if you stick it in this machine without a guard on it.' and then sticking your head in it! 'Hey guys nothings ha--.' Scccink... Bonk!

Don't be a gimp! Put some armour on! :o

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A European hetrosexual male who does not practise anal sex .what are the odds of him dying of aids?

Dying...almost nil. Thank the drug companies. As for actually contracting HIV subtype E (one of the most easiest to contract and Thailand's most predominant strain) and having to spend the rest of your life taking drug cocktails every single day, risking infecting others with every sexual encounter and medical procedure... including going to the dentist, pretty good odds.

:o

A European hetrosexual male who does not practise anal sex .what are the odds of him dying of aids?

Dying...almost nil. Thank the drug companies. As for actually contracting HIV subtype E (one of the most easiest to contract and Thailand's most predominant strain) and having to spend the rest of your life taking drug cocktails every single day, risking infecting others with every sexual encounter and medical procedure... including going to the dentist, pretty good odds.

Not entirely correct:

'Whether there are biological causes for the observed differences in transmission routes remains the subject of debate. Some scientists, such as Dr Max Essex of Harvard, believe such causes do exist. Among their claims are that subtype C and CRF A/E are transmitted much more efficiently during heterosexual sex than subtype B.89 However, this theory has not been conclusively proven.1011'

http://www.avert.org/hivtypes.htm

So, this assertion of yours in simply a claim, yet unproven.

True. And when applied to the unprotected sex in the pay for sex trade (which often includes the indirect pay for sex trade: sponsorship from overseas, sex for land, sex for green cards, sex for paying his/her way through beauty school, and so forth), it's probably irrelevant anyway - in that the whatever odds that appear to be in your favor are likely quickly reversed by the sheer volume of sex partners ... and their sex partners, their partners who are sharing needles, customers, brothers, etc.

True. And when applied to the unprotected sex in the pay for sex trade (which often includes the indirect pay for sex trade: sponsorship from overseas, sex for land, sex for green cards, sex for paying his/her way through beauty school, and so forth), it's probably irrelevant anyway - in that the whatever odds that appear to be in your favor are likely quickly reversed by the sheer volume of sex partners ... and their sex partners, their partners who are sharing needles, customers, brothers, etc.

You seem to imply that everyone here is a prostitute or drug user in one way or another.

It would seem that we can expect different strains of the virus to keep emerging. There's no guarantee that future strains could be treated by exisiting drugs. I would imagine that this factor throws a good deal of uncertainty into the equation.

I'd be surprised if medical professionals would encourange any complacency.

Just to add a different perspective on the issue :

Young people and women are increasingly vulnerable to HIV and AIDS. Young people often lack access to essential information about HIV transmission and the means to protect themselves from the virus. Women face higher risks than men for biological reasons as well as gender inequities. Promoting safer sexual behaviour, empowering young women to refuse unwanted and unsafe sexual relations, and persuading young men to assume more responsibility by protecting themselves and their partners are matters of utmost priority.

www.unfpa.org

Young people remain at the centre of the AIDS epidemic in terms of rates of infection, vulnerability, impact, and potential for change. They must be at the centre of prevention actions as well. Recent data shows that where young people are well informed of risks and prevention strategies, they are changing their behaviour: Targeted education has led to delayed sexual debut and increased use of condoms in several areas that have also shown a decrease in HIV prevalence in young people. But efforts to increase HIV knowledge among young people remain inadequate.
When AIDS emerged in the 1980s, it mostly affected men. But today women account for nearly half of all people living with HIV worldwide. Over the past two years, the number of HIV-positive women and girls has increased in every region of the world, with rates rising most rapidly in Eastern Europe, Asia, and Latin America. In sub-Saharan Africa, 76 per cent of the young people (aged 15-24 years) living with HIV are female.

According to that website, every 7 seconds another person contracts HIV and every 11 seconds another person dies of AIDS.

So yes, it is correct that the more priveleged a group you happen to belong to, the smaller your risk of dying from AIDS.

Edited by WaiWai

I personally think this is the singularly most irresponsible thread I've come across on TV for a long time.

HIV AIDS is an issue for all of us, it is a very much bigger issue for those who are or have been involved with the sex industry in Thailand.

I've already said I have a friend who died of HIV AIDS contracted in Thailand, and I also know of a number of expats taking care of wives who are infected with HIV AIDS - This is a hugely important health issue, that deserves more respect than to have some crank with half a brain undermining the work the medical profession and organizations like the Terrance Higgins Trust have done to improve knowledge on how to avoid getting infected with HIV.

If dee123 believes he's not at risk from HIV AIDS then up to him, but he has not given any evidence that he has any medical qualifications, he is therefore not qualified to challenge the medical advice that is inplace (and that coincidentally has played such a huge part in improving the HIV AIDS sittuation in Thailand).

As a member of TV that believes this site is at its best when giving out informed information and advice, and hence a place where people expect to find reliable advice I'd like to see the mods close this thread on the grounds that it is providing missleading information on a crittical health issue.

As a member who makes and effort to help others with problems and queries they may have, I regard the whole of what dee123 says as a diservice to TV members and as a threat to the credibility of TV as a place where helpful and useful advice can be found

Edited by GuestHouse

As a member of TV that believes this site is at its best when giving out informed information and advice, and hence a place where people expect to find reliable advice I'd like to see the mods close this thread on the grounds that it is providing missleading information on a crittical health issue.

I think it's better to respond to the misleading claims. Keep the thread up at the top of the page and fill it with useful information.

Some people do seem to be developing a measure of complacency now that better drugs are available. Let's take the opportunity to challenge that attitude.

I think it's better to respond to the misleading claims. Keep the thread up at the top of the page and fill it with useful information.

Some people do seem to be developing a measure of complacency now that better drugs are available. Let's take the opportunity to challenge that attitude.

Agreed. Better to have quotes from and links to actual medical advice that can show dee123's obsession for taking risks for what they are. Risks.

You seem to imply that everyone here is a prostitute or drug user in one way or another.

Not at all. Only that there are fewer degrees of separation between prostitutes + IV drug users and the mainstream population. It's arguable that for many foreigners, there are even fewer degrees of separation. And again, that's not a bash, it's just an opinion ...before someone comes back with... "no! Thais got the fewest degrees of separation, buster!" No kidding. It's not a contest, it's a discussion.

:D

Not at all. Only that there are fewer degrees of separation between prostitutes + IV drug users and the mainstream population. It's arguable that for many foreigners, there are even fewer degrees of separation. And again, that's not a bash, it's just an opinion ...before someone comes back with... "no! Thais got the fewest degrees of separation, buster!" No kidding. It's not a contest, it's a discussion.

:D

So do you mean, for instance, that if you propositioned a convenience store worker with 2000 baht, she would be more likely to go with you than a western woman offered an equivelant sum (scaled up to the appropriate amount)? Or have I misunderstood you?

I'm talking about degrees of separation, not relative cost of sex for hire, although sure, overall that will have it's implications as well. If you took an average convenient store worker here and say in London, I'd say the local here would be more likely to have had sexual contacts with high risk to STD exposure groups: say motorcycle taxi drivers, local motorcycle hoodlum types, and so forth, most of whom would also have had their own list of high risk contacts with local prostitutes and perhaps IV drug users (not to mention that having a heroin addiction here is actually rather affordable for the masses) and possible exposures.

And I'm not just talking about the lowest levels of society, either. Related to the relative "cost" of sex here (and that's both direct and indirect... whether it's directly for cash, or tuition, or phones, cars, condos, etc.) overall the average adult IMO will have had far more partners and unsafe sex exposures than in many other places in the world. That equals increased risk in my book.

How many folks here were having more sex before they arrived here? I know one's results may vary, but back in college "back home," getting laid half a dozen times a year meant you were having a good year. Here, that's about 3 weeks if you happen to want to get soapy just after golf. My point is that it's a different dynamic and standard "studies" regarding risk (let's say for any kind of STD exposure) might not really be anything close to accurate.

BBC News this afternoon said new drug could control HIV to such a minimal amount that all new HIV patients if taking drug could be pretty sure of living a full healthy life and that it will be available in UK IN APPROX 3/4 months......comments please

5 pages in to this thread and no one has been able or willing to name this new drug or provide a link to the bbc report.

cumulative deaths of aids at the end of 2002 400,000

estimated deaths for 2005 21,000

infection rate adults 2005 1.5%

(i dont provide a link but a simple google search shows this)

I'm talking about degrees of separation, not relative cost of sex for hire, although sure, overall that will have it's implications as well. If you took an average convenient store worker here and say in London, I'd say the local here would be more likely to have had sexual contacts with high risk to STD exposure groups: say motorcycle taxi drivers, local motorcycle hoodlum types, and so forth, most of whom would also have had their own list of high risk contacts with local prostitutes and perhaps IV drug users (not to mention that having a heroin addiction here is actually rather affordable for the masses) and possible exposures.

And I'm not just talking about the lowest levels of society, either. Related to the relative "cost" of sex here (and that's both direct and indirect... whether it's directly for cash, or tuition, or phones, cars, condos, etc.) overall the average adult IMO will have had far more partners and unsafe sex exposures than in many other places in the world. That equals increased risk in my book.

How many folks here were having more sex before they arrived here? I know one's results may vary, but back in college "back home," getting laid half a dozen times a year meant you were having a good year. Here, that's about 3 weeks if you happen to want to get soapy just after golf. My point is that it's a different dynamic and standard "studies" regarding risk (let's say for any kind of STD exposure) might not really be anything close to accurate.

So, with regards to my earlier question about whether you thought everyone in Thailand was a prostitute, the answer is no, but the percentage is far greater that in Western society...

Do you have any percentage figures in mind, comparison-wise?

Please note, I am not taking issue with you, just trying to fully understand your perspective on this.

Gene research may help control HIV virus

sciencedaily.com

DURHAM, N.C., July 20 (UPI) -- Researchers from North Carolina's Duke University discovered a series of genetic variations that could help HIV-infected people avoid developing AIDS.

The study, which was led by scientists at Duke's Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology, used Human Genome Project research to find specific variations in a trio of genes that offer hope for a better understanding of how to control the HIV virus, the San Francisco Chronicle said Friday.

By focusing on the individual stability of the virus within a patient's bloodstream, the researchers were able to discover two genes that appeared to help control the virus.

Through analyzing the genetic makeup of 486 patients in relation to virus control, the scientific team came up with the HLA-B*5701 and HLA-C genes.

The team, that also included several other scientists worldwide, found that each gene was able to control the HIV virus in its own unique way.

A third gene, ZNRD1, was recognized by the group for its apparent ability to limit HIV replication, the Chronicle reported.

United Press International.

not quite what the OP reported :o

So, with regards to my earlier question about whether you thought everyone in Thailand was a prostitute, the answer is no, but the percentage is far greater that in Western society...

Do you have any percentage figures in mind, comparison-wise?

Please note, I am not taking issue with you, just trying to fully understand your perspective on this.

No idea, Cap. Note, I'm not taking issue with you either.

I don't think any health professional made unqualified predictions of the numbers of deaths that were expected from AIDS.

My recollection is they made predictions along the lines of:

'If current rates of infection continue'

or perhaps

'If no means of preventing the spread of this disease is found we can expect death rates to reach...'.

Such statements are often missquoted by the press or people who wish to misrepresent medical opinion.

Needless to say there have been a number of factors which have impacted all initial predictions.

Thailand in particular has had a huge success at promoting HIV Safe Behaviour and Practices, not just safe sex, but clinical practices, and such things as teaching barbars to change razor blades etc.

Add to this Thailand has provided funds to purchase and access to cheap anti viral drugs, so as with any country where anti HIV Viral drugs are made available the death rates from HIV plummit.

So to claim that the medical profressionals were wrong has no meaning when all these changes in the management and treatment of HIV have changed.

Conversely, in Africa, where there has been little or no sucess in implementing changes of behaviour and where for many reasons Anti HIV Viral drugs are not available, the death rates from HIV are in the millions.

So Thailand did something about Aids and the deaths from Aids have been controlled, Africa did not and the deaths from Aids in Africa are evidence of the medical predictions being correct.

I agree if the education awareness in the bars and the country at large, and the anti viral generic drugs the death rate would be much higher.

In regard too the question on new drugs the only one I know which one of my friends take in the uk is a tablet which has been developed to combine three tablets he used to take, plus you only need to take them once a day. There are new tablets being developed all the time which will give current patience’s medication to fall back on once they become resistance to the current ones being taken.

The fastest growing rate for HIV in the western world is with in the heterosexual community and between the ages of 16 - 30 groups.

Regards

JOHN

dee,

What is the point of this thread? You posted, no one responded, you posted again, and then you argue every post that people make. What's the point? Is it a slow day in your household, and you feel that you need to stir something up? A new AIDS drug? Great, thanks for the information. C ya.

Edited by backflip

It's pretty obvious, and I'm sure dee is not alone in having 'I might have contracted something through irresponsible behavior' feelings and now is seeking self assurance. Maybe he's just afraid of needles... as everything he wants to know can answered in 24 hours at just about any hospital blood lab.

Edited by Heng

I have been here for a long time and seen lots of Thai girls die from HIV; most of them left by their family in disgrace (after caring and feeding them) or suffering without any medical care to their end. Pretending this is not a problem is just insane, as I do know for a fact that all of those where I know for sure the reason of death have worked on for long after they have known of their status.

As the Phuket Gazette reported not so long ago, 2.4% of #all# pregnant females coming to hospital for their mandatory check were positive; we are not talking high risk groups there but the complete population. That means every 40th girl passing you while you walk down the street is a time bomb waiting to explode. Do the maths next time you go down Soi Bangla.

Whatever good the government has done in the past for education, if you would ask the majority of the girls in the bars why they ask you to use a condom, it is not HIV: they do not want to get pregnant because only a minority of them takes the pill. This is even more insane and should warn you that literally all of them will behave at great personal risk if the incentive is there (and not because 'you are so special and I love only you').

There you go, those are the numbers right here on the ground.

Anyone with the inclination can easily find reports and statistics that show HIV/AIDS is still something to be very concerned about. However, I find the OP's implications disturbing enough to do some further cut & paste here.

Young people

At the launch of a new UNAIDS report in June 2006, UNAIDS Country Coordinator for Thailand Patrick Brenny stated that:

Public information, which was once ubiquitous, has dropped off the radar screen… Thailand must revive its flagging HIV/AIDS awareness programmes to reach out to a new generation of young people, who currently see the virus as a problem largely affecting their elders. They are clearly vulnerable to infection with HIV.”

There have not been any mass public prevention campaigns carried out in Thailand for over a decade. This has led to a decline in awareness and possibly an increase in unsafe sexual behaviour, especially among young people who are often not old enough to remember campaigns that were carried out during the 1990s. It is thought that around 85% of Thai youth do not see HIV as something that they should be concerned about, even though 70% of all STI cases in Thailand occur among this group. 41 Premarital sex has become more common among young Thais, but only 20-30% of sexually active young people are using condoms consistently.

Along with countries such as Brazil and Haiti, Thailand has shown the world that it is possible for a developing country to form an effective response to HIV and AIDS. For all its successes, though, Thailand’s epidemic has never eased off in certain regions and among certain groups. With a serious shortage of HIV prevention programs being carried out, there is a widespread fear that Thailand will witness a resurgence of HIV and AIDS in coming years.

"There are some very clear warning signals that the epidemic is on the move… you now have a recipe for a resurgence of HIV.”

- Hakan Bjorkman, UNAIDS

In Thailand, an estimated 580 000 adults and children were living with HIV at the end of

2005. The number of new annual HIV infections continues to drop—the estimated

18 000 new infections in 2005 were 10% less than in 2004. However, a large percentage

of new HIV infections are occurring in people considered to be at low-risk of infection.

Approximately one third of new infections in 2005 were in married women who were

probably infected by their spouses.

Those male spouses were not so immune, after all.

As the T-shirts say, "We all have HIV".

Edited by WaiWai

"5 pages in to this thread and no one has been able or willing to name this new drug or provide a link to the bbc report."

I'm thinking the same Orchis....

Is this about Fuzeon, which has been used for some time and there was a BBC report at the beginning of the month? Or is there something new?

ok serious now ....I just want to know how many white hetrosexual males in u.k. have died from receiving the aids virus from male- female sex......I do not want to appear flipant but could anyone out their give me the exact numbers?..........and PLEASE PLEASE no more other statistics until this one is supplied.

ok serious now ....I just want to know how many white hetrosexual males in u.k. have died from receiving the aids virus from male- female sex......I do not want to appear flipant but could anyone out their give me the exact numbers?

Why not narrow it down even further to Liverpool fans from Surrey as well?

dee123, I looked for the BBC article at the time, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to provide us with a link, or a few more clues to help us locate the information.

Nobody can be sure how many males in the UK have died of AIDS contracted thro m-f sex.

I could try to google the figures, but why don't you, dee123 ? Why is Heng charged with this task ?

I am sure we all take the point about what may or may not be relatively more dangerous, but the only thing that's really sure right now is that we cannot be sure. I think that makes all risks equal.

Edited by WaiWai