Overstay or extension?

On 3/14/2024 at 5:13 AM, ukrules said:

They appear to be 'catching' people at some airports based on recent news stories out of Phuket.

Obviously this is due to the airline check in desks, they check your current extension of stay date - they always did even when nobody cared about overstays because it can delay you getting to the gate.

Go and get an extension, like others have said, if they say no to the extension because you've already had one then you get 7 days which is no problem at all.

Catching them and doing what?

Busting a tourist for a 2 day overstay would be a bad "image" for Thailand and we all know how Thailand cares about the image. 

He is just a tourist that got a bit confused. I doubt they would do anything except fine.

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Note: if taking Thai partner to Japan (that country provides 15 day visa exempt for thai) be aware that Japan counts day one AFTER date of arrival

Inscrutable those Japanese chaps, when they say you have 15 days they actually mean it!

46 minutes ago, papa al said:

I, w/ my church group visit inmates at Banglamung jail.

Most foeigners held in for overstay.

You could meet some interesting characters. 

How many of your clientele had a 2 day overstay. Keep it real. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

He is in Thailand and cannot obtain a tourist visa.

He can obtain 30 day extension

The post you are replying to was changed within 1 minute of posting due to reading that he has a touriwt visa.

Your reply was posted after I had amended my post. 

Edited by mlkik

How do you think  the embassies, consulates or airport immigration officers of other countries you may apply for visa to or visit will feel about your Thailand overstay stamp? You might be in for a surprise the attitude other countries take towards overstay. Unless one applies for the Thailand Elite programme it does not appear Thailand Immigration really cares about short overstays.

I would never overstay on purpose. How  about  changing your flight and  leaving two days early?

Edited by Captain Monday

31 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

How do you think  the embassies, consulates or airport immigration officers of other countries you may apply for visa to or visit will feel about your Thailand overstay stamp?

The overstay stamp is written entirely in Thai.  Do you think any of those immigration officers from other countries can read Thai, and will be able to decipher what a random stamp in your passport written in Thai means?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

The overstay stamp is written entirely in Thai.  Do you think any of those immigration officers from other countries can read Thai, and will be able to decipher what a random stamp in your passport written in Thai means?

No, but you fool yourself if they, the consular staff and Immigration officers of various countries are not trained to identify the meaning of red stamps and then fax it to someone who does "read Thai".  Yes FAX, as in "Japan"

The mind boggles.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

No, but you fool yourself if they, the consular staff and Immigration officers of various countries are not trained to identify the meaning of red stamps and then fax it to someone who does "read Thai".  Yes FAX, as in "Japan

The stamp isn't even red.   I've been to more than 15 countries since I got my overstay stamp, including Japan.  No one even noticed the stamp, let alone faxed it somewhere.

20240315_151352.thumb.jpg.c30249887bc5c5342e7c62c00553546f.jpg

20240315_152104.jpg.4f4535aa52525cf8eff4e955b689ac09.jpg

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

The stamp isn't even red.  Stop making stuff up and pretending to be an expert.  I've been to more than 15 countries since I got my overstay stamp, including Japan.  No one even noticed the stamp, let alone faxed it somewhere.

20240315_151352.thumb.jpg.c30249887bc5c5342e7c62c00553546f.jpg

20240315_152104.jpg.4f4535aa52525cf8eff4e955b689ac09.jpg

Good for you. I always heard they were red. How should I know what colour they are really I would never overstay on purpose. 

The worlds’ jails are full of people who thought they could get away with clear  wrongdoing. A limitation of the criminal mind.

So, will you blithely overstay in Japan too? Having overstay stamps in one’s passport is a negative. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Do you think any of those immigration officers from other countries can read Thai

(edit. Nevermind. I misunderstood the post. Oops...)

Edited by JayClay

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

So, will you blithely overstay in Japan too? Having overstay stamps in one’s passport is a negative. 

Good luck. 

My overstay was a mistake I made during covid times.  I thought I could get another extension, but was refused and had stupidly waited to the last minute to get the extension.  I left as soon as I possibly could which took some time in those days because I had to arrange a covid test first.

I would agree overstay is generally a bad idea, but there is no possible way any immigration officer from another country will ever decipher that Thai overstay stamp.

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

No, but you fool yourself if they, the consular staff and Immigration officers of various countries are not trained to identify the meaning of red stamps and then fax it to someone who does "read Thai".  Yes FAX, as in "Japan"

The mind boggles.

Thai overstay stamps are usually blue, not red. What you might confuse them with are entry denial stamps.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...