Survey: Almost a quarter of Gen Z adults identify as LGBTQ+

Social Media

image.png

A recent Gallup survey released on Wednesday reveals a significant milestone: almost a quarter of Generation Z adults in the United States now identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or another sexual orientation besides heterosexual. This marks a new record for LGBTQ+ identification among adults, showcasing a notable shift in societal attitudes and self-identification over the past decade.

The survey underscores the growing diversity within the LGBTQ+ community, with women emerging as nearly twice as likely as men to identify as LGBTQ+. Among women, bisexuality emerges as the most common form of LGBTQ+ identification, whereas gay and bisexual identifications prevail among men.

However, the most striking finding pertains to Generation Z, born between 1997 and 2012, who exhibit a significantly higher likelihood of identifying as LGBTQ+ compared to other generations. Notably, almost three in 10 Gen Z women identify as LGBTQ+, contrasting with 12.4% of millennial women and 4.7% of Generation X women. Similarly, over one in 10 Gen Z men identify as LGBTQ+, roughly double the percentage among millennial men.

The statistics paint a clear picture: 22.3% of Generation Z individuals identify as something other than heterosexual, reflecting a notable increase from previous surveys. Bisexuality emerges as the predominant identification among nearly two-thirds of LGBTQ+ Gen Z adults.

The broader societal context suggests that alongside the growth of the LGBTQ+ community, there exists both heightened acceptance and increased institutional bias. While societal attitudes toward non-heterosexual orientations have evolved positively, legislative efforts in some states have sought to restrict LGBTQ+ rights, particularly targeting transgender individuals.

This survey underscores the ongoing struggle for equality and acceptance faced by the LGBTQ+ community, highlighting the need for continued advocacy and support to combat discrimination and promote inclusivity for all individuals, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Source

image.png

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, James105 said:

I can believe it for sure.   The "straight white male" sits at the very bottom of the oppression pyramid so the only way to combat that is to claim to be a member of a group that will give you a some victim points, and claiming to be transgender gets promotion from the very bottom to the very top of this pyramid.   Also, there is no requirement to actually change any behaviour to be a member of these groups so it is completely harmless to do so.  

The straight white male grievance gets stroked.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'm not disputing the findings, particuarly from a distinguised polling company such as gallup but I'm aways reminded of this clip from probably one of the best comedies ever made

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

So the results just show that mostly more women are saying they are bi sexual than preciously. 

It's good that these days people feel able to be more honest about their sexual feelings. 

The percentages were probably the same for all the other generations before them, but society made it harder for people to be honest about their true feelings, or they repressed them out of shame or learned morals from religion or society in general. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 8:37 AM, James105 said:

I can believe it for sure.   The "straight white male" sits at the very bottom of the oppression pyramid so the only way to combat that is to claim to be a member of a group that will give you a some victim points, and claiming to be transgender gets promotion from the very bottom to the very top of this pyramid.   Also, there is no requirement to actually change any behaviour to be a member of these groups so it is completely harmless to do so.  

I'd say straight white females are least oppressed.

I'd also say women in general (in the West) are less oppressed than men in general.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

My theory is that, during pregnancy, if the mother is well fed, the fetus will have a higher probability of being gay in adulthood. As a natural means of population control.

"Mother" is not the correct term any longer, it's gestational parent or birthing parent.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:03 PM, Berkshire said:

As usual, you're way off.  If you read the article, it's mostly Gen Z women who identify the most as LGBTQ.  And it's mostly about being bisexual. 

I'm in favour of it then, providing they are pretty and let me watch.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:34 PM, FruitPudding said:

I'd say straight white females are least oppressed.

I'd also say women in general (in the West) are less oppressed than men in general.

You'll never make them admit it though. Women depend on being the "victim" else they'd have to take more responsibility for messing up the world.

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:31 AM, Chelseafan said:

I'm not disputing the findings, particuarly from a distinguised polling company such as gallup but I'm aways reminded of this clip from probably one of the best comedies ever made

IMO it was so popular because it was so close to the truth, and most had some experience of it.

On 3/15/2024 at 8:48 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm calling BS on that. There are rather more gen z individuals than 12,145 and claiming that a few people surveyed are representative of all is a nonsense IMO.

From the source

Methodology: This Gallup survey is based on telephone interviews conducted in 2023 with 12,145 adults, aged 18 and older living in the U.S.

Results based on the total national sample have a margin of error of ±1 percentage point at the 95% confidence level, while those based on the total sample of 691 LGBTQ+ adults, the margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points at the 95% confidence level.

So it is 18 to 26% based on the margin of error. Basically 1/5 to 1/4. Sounds right to me.

The young gen are turning far more gay. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm in favour of it then, providing they are pretty and let me watch.

Meh, gay women are no fun. I would much rather there be more gay men, so there would be more available women.

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Meh, gay women are no fun. I would much rather there be more gay men, so there would be more available women.

Have you actually researched that topic?

Is factual data available?  From a reliable unbiased source?  Links or spreadsheets?

What effect does greenhouse gases play in this scenario?  Could it the cause of increased lbtgxyz!$@“ and lesbian females?  

Increased carbon dioxide emissions could directly affect sexual identification issues. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1