Toronto police spark outrage for telling residents to leave their car keys at the front doo

16 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I don't mean to insult Canadians on this forum, but they're not the sharpest tools in the shed. 

some of us are dumber than others though. i did leave 20 years ago in my mid 20's if that makes up for it.

Edited by stoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

As bad as the optics are, isn't this like telling purse snatch victims to let go of your purse to reduce your chance of being killed?

Seems like reasonable advice if you value your life more than your car.  At least in the immediate term, until they can clear the thieves off the street.  Which requires a lot more than good policing.  It requires political will to lock up bad guys, if only to keep them away from polite society.  So I don't blame the cops.  I blame the lefty politicians.

By the same rational why don't they tell the people to also leave their valuables and wallets at the doorstep

in order to reduce break-in, right... 

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

As bad as the optics are, isn't this like telling purse snatch victims to let go of your purse to reduce your chance of being killed?

Seems like reasonable advice if you value your life more than your car.  At least in the immediate term, until they can clear the thieves off the street.  Which requires a lot more than good policing.  It requires political will to lock up bad guys, if only to keep them away from polite society.  So I don't blame the cops.  I blame the lefty politicians.

Sounds reasonable???   really??? Why not just leave windows down with keys in car? What's next, the thieves will require a home cooked meal or they kill you? 

It's insanity.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

By the same rational why don't they tell the people to also leave their valuables and wallets at the doorstep

in order to reduce break-in, right... 

Exactly, and also the pins for your cards if you don't mind.

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Sounds reasonable???   really??? Why not just leave windows down with keys in car? What's next, the thieves will require a home cooked meal or they kill you? 

It's insanity.

So if someone breaks into your house looking for car keys, you'd prefer they come into your bedroom to beat the crap out of you to find the keys?

Personally, I'd rather put the keys on a hook just inside the door so they leave me and my loved ones alone.  That's very different from leaving them in the car or leaving the windows open, which invites theft.   

Their advice doesn't invite theft.  Just mitigates the risk to life when someone does break in.  It's the same as telling purse snatch victims to let go of the purse.  Is what's in that purse worth risking your life over?  Is your car worth risking your life over?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

And, that's what a gun is for.....protection. Kill a few of these low lifes and it will stop. Bow down to the criminals and you have mayhem. 

It would be cheaper to let them take the car.  Several hundred thousand dollars cheaper, according to Massad Ayoob, who is an expert witness at many self defense trials.  And has a great YouTube channel for gun aficionados.

He states that a self defense by firearm defense case starts at $100K and goes up from there.  Even if the cops don't charge the shooter, the burglar's family will likely sue.  I have quite a few self defense guns, and I hope I never have to use one in anger.  I certainly won't in defense of property.  Just in defense of life.  My car's insured. 

Conceptually, I agree with you.  But from a pragmatic standpoint, I'd leave my keys exactly where a burglar would be likely to find them.  For most families, that's on a hook or a table in the foyer by the front door. 

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, 300sd said:

ha, what a joke. asian countries are all at the top.

I was joking about canadians. Lighten up.

IQ is a scam anyway. it cannot be measured so easily. and it's over-rated.

animals are smarter than us in many ways. cats and dogs can predict earthquakes. 

what we need more of is EQ - Emotional Intelligence ie HEART. 

If you don't like Rush, then I can't help you.

and the men who hold high places

must be the ones who start

to mold a new reality

closer to the heart

Edited by save the frogs

Good idea leave the keys near the door, but disconnect the battery/ ignition system and switch off the electric fuel pump with hidden switches. Watch the fools on your CCTV as they run around scratching their heads. Connect the brake light switch to the horn   :cheesy:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Good idea leave the keys near the door, but disconnect the battery/ ignition system and switch off the electric fuel pump with hidden switches. Watch the fools on your CCTV as they run around scratching their heads. Connect the brake light switch to the horn   

Sounds fun to watch.  But I'd let them drive a block or 2 before disabling the car remotely.  They'd be less likely to walk that far for retribution.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Sounds fun to watch.  But I'd let them drive a block or 2 before disabling the car remotely.  They'd be less likely to walk that far for retribution.

I was working in OZ one time as the 'Mechanic' on a 'station' one guy left his Ute for a service and thought he'd scare me by leaving a snake skin outside.

Next mourning as was the norm all station staff gathered and he came to collect his UTE, I had told the other guys, all in anticipation of the brake lights coming on, off he went stopped at the gate, horn sounded he got out lifted the bonnet scratched his head, turned round, using his brakes a lot, and came back. 10 staff all pissing themselves laughing. true story.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:17 AM, EVENKEEL said:

And, that's what a gun is for.....protection. Kill a few of these low lifes and it will stop. Bow down to the criminals and you have mayhem. 

I always chuckle at this.

Whilst there is guns in my house they would be useless during a home invasion.... well unless of course the perp complies when I ask him to wait whilst I grab the ammo from the safe !!

On 3/16/2024 at 7:35 AM, save the frogs said:

I don't mean to insult Canadians on this forum, but they're not the sharpest tools in the shed. 

Why ? they are all in the Toronto police force?