I need a new Computer – But not a Laptop – Any advice .

tomgreen

1 hour ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

That looks great, would it be capable of running Skype and Ms office at same time. Appears to be genuine HP.

Probably but I haven't tried. Does what I require and replaced an HP tower  so more space on the desktop.

And of course very portable.

16 minutes ago, john donson said:

free option: take out the battery... 

Would it be possible to normally run the laptop ,if the battery has been taken out , but its still plugged into the mains power supply that came with the laptop?

Tom

12 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

Would it be possible to normally run the laptop ,if the battery has been taken out , but its still plugged into the mains power supply that came with the laptop?

Tom

Yes

• Agree 1

Check GPD Pocket mini plus, Windows 10 & 11, 10inch & 8inch display, ie.,

• GPD WIN Max 2 AMD 7640U 16GB+1TB 10.1inch IPS Display Handheld Gaming PC Windows 11 67Wh Battery Support BT5.2 WiFi-6 Gaming Laptop US Pug.

On 3/16/2024 at 2:21 PM, tomgreen said:

My old Dell laptop running Linux is about to take its last breath ( swollen battery ) so I’m looking for ideas to replace it . I don’t really want another laptop . So I’m wondering about a Mini PC or small tower PC sort of thing . It will only be used for web surfing / torrenting / photos / music .

I’m planning to install Linux Mint on the new computer and connect it to an external monitor . 

Any ideas , suggestions or recommendations Please . 

Tom

Great choice running Linux Mint. 

Really for your use case any of the mini form factor PCs will be fine.   Just make sure you go with one that can be upgraded to 32GB of Ram and has at least one M.2 slot for storage (2 would be better), then kit it out with 500GB M2 SSD for the OS and files you access a lot, and a 1TB or 2TB M.2 SSD for storage.

8 hours ago, tomgreen said:

Tom

Yes, but if the power goes out you will lose everything that isn't saved.   You could maybe get a small UPS (uninterruptable power supply) if that is a concern.

• Agree 1

another thought would be to get a new PS5 tower. They are generally built better than standard PC towers and can do all the same things. You can order them with Linux OS installed. They also come with the best internal workings as they're designed to be used for high speed graphics. Just a thought.

On 3/16/2024 at 2:58 PM, Tropicalevo said:

After buying many computers here in Thailand, both laptop and desktop - I have both, my only recommendation is buy a pre-assembled if you go for a desktop one.

My current one was built to spec, quite expensive and has given me lots of trouble. It has never worked properly. Latest problem - it restarts itself. Even if I am in the middle of something. Windows 11 (I hate it) settings are set to never sleep and never restart but to no avail.

I had that same problem with PC WIN 11.  The PC would randomly shutdown or restart.  Turned out it was UPS software for auto-shutdown if power loss.  The software made my desktop think it was a laptop in respect to the power settings.  Was never able to resolve the problem so I just use the UPS without the auto-shutdown feature.  I have idea if you are using a UPS.  Just thought I would mention it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kimothai said:

I had that same problem with PC WIN 11.  The PC would randomly shutdown or restart.  Turned out it was UPS software for auto-shutdown if power loss.  The software made my desktop think it was a laptop in respect to the power settings.  Was never able to resolve the problem so I just use the UPS without the auto-shutdown feature.  I have idea if you are using a UPS.  Just thought I would mention it.

Thanks -  useful info, and we do have varying volts (or whatever) on our electric supply.

Lots of quick off/on outages.

UPS keeps the desktop on though.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, save the frogs said:

why not a laptop?

laptop is the best invention ever at it is highly portable and fits easily in any backpack. 

and you can attach an external bigger monitor to it at home. 

Why not both? Laptop for traveling, desktop for home. Common configuration I also use. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, kimothai said:

Then get rid of the UPS Software. My xp/W8/W10/W11 self-build has NEVER randomly shut down on me.

Spent about 25k on a pc a few months back
kept throwing money at an old pc and made it quicker but not near what even a 25k new pc will do

lots on advice/Jib
No point buying a 2nd hand pc unless you know who is selling it.

54 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Spent about 25k on a pc a few months back
kept throwing money at an old pc and made it quicker but not near what even a 25k new pc will do

lots on advice/Jib
No point buying a 2nd hand pc unless you know who is selling it.

image.png.60dec97d6c3c3ed07906b060cbde388d.png

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, BigStar said:

Thanks BigStar.

From that link -

In addition to throwing out blue screens of death willy-nilly, some people are reporting sluggish performance, audio glitches,

I am having all of those issues, but for months.

Not sure that rolling back that update will help.

(I actually switch off the wifi at night to stop updates but Microsoft still tries to get round it.)

On 3/20/2024 at 12:12 AM, BigStar said:

image.png.60dec97d6c3c3ed07906b060cbde388d.png

My 10 year old pc still works but even after spending around 12k on upgrading the pc you still are not going to come close to a new pc 
Still lasted well but for lots of graphic programs we use it was very slow but worked
Happy with my new pc wish i bought it before spending the 12k on cpu/gpu/ram/ssd but its a good emergency computer

My new pc should be fine for years and with new pcs having usb4.0 vs usb2.0 you can only upgrade so much before nothing is left from the original build

My MB is all that is left even the case and power supply have changed
Could make a new pc out of the parts if i bought another PS