Theft of Main Electric Cable from House on Secure Site

On 3/18/2024 at 8:00 AM, UTBoro said:

Looking for some advice please. We own a bungalow in a secure development in Thailand and last week somebody entered the site and has stolen the mains electric cable to our property. They disconnected it at the meter attached to a lamp post on the roadside  outside my  property and I’m guessing they got underneath the house and cut the cable where it runs up to the fusebox inside the house. The person who owns the development is trying to say that we have to pay for the cost of replacing the cable which I won’t be as I claimed that we pay a service charge which includes security of the development, which to be honest is almost non existent. Five properties on the same development were targeted,all of which were unoccupied at the time. If the owner of the site won’t budge I’ll just withhold next years service charge, that should cover the cost of a replacement cable, surely it can’t be that expensive? Anyone experienced anything like this? Cheers.

Somebody swiped mine a few years ago 100 meters of wire. I replaced it with aluminum and got the head man to announce it on his PA system that it had been replaced with aluminum. No problem since ,maybe because we installed it on 8 meter poles.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:44 AM, Crossy said:

@UTBoro Is your cable underground or overhead?

If it's overhead, replace it with a size larger aluminium cable, it's far cheaper than copper and very much less likely to wander off in the night.

If underground you're stuck with using proper underground rated copper cable :sad:

Have you spoken with your insurance company?

On our new property we ran a cable about 50 meters down the side of the main street to an out building.  Our contractor told us to use aluminum wiring as copper wire would probably be stolen.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:44 AM, Crossy said:

@UTBoro Is your cable underground or overhead?

If it's overhead, replace it with a size larger aluminium cable, it's far cheaper than copper and very much less likely to wander off in the night.

If underground you're stuck with using proper underground rated copper cable :sad:

Have you spoken with your insurance company?

Is the aluminium cable the white one?  Can it give a normal supply of electricity to a carport with a room and bathroom and charge an EV car? OR do we have to install the black copper wire?