Switching from 'Funds-in-Bank' method to 'Monthly-income-transfer' method

11 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Due to urgent necessity a friend of mine had to use part of the funds that he kept on his personal Thai bank-account and dipped 150.000,- THB under the required tresshold minimum of 800K to meet the financial requirements for his next 1-year extension.  He did this during the first 3 months after he applied for his current 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. 

He did not have sufficient funds on his other Thai bank-accounts, reason that he had to use part of the required 800K during that initial 3-month period. 

However, he has been transferring more than 65.000,- THB every month from abroad.  

His Imm Office is CW, and his current Permission to stay is due to expire 31 October 2024.

The answer has already been given.

As your friend did not comply with the conditions of being issued his current extension, that is, he did not maintain 800K in his Thai bank account for the required 3 months, then a further extension application is likely to be denied, although the final decision will be at the IO's discretion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

My comment was based on entering thailand with a visa but you decided to change the context and turn that into visa exempt. That I believe is a non starter, it is my understanding that visa conversion has to be done on money in the bank rather than income.

Entering VE, then applying for Non Immigrant status (Non O) they accept 800K funds, overseas transfers and Embassy Income letters.

The only method they don't accept is the combination method.

If @Red Phoenix friend has proof of 12 x 65K monthly overseas transfers, as he states, then that would be accepted for the conversion to Non O.

VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

however, the office would not accept the twelve months of THB 65,000 as financial proof.

Confirming what I said in a previous post.

I have always returned with a new visa, sorry if that wasn't clear.

12 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Entering VE, then applying for Non Immigrant status (Non O) they accept 800K funds, overseas transfers and Embassy Income letters.

The only method they don't accept is the combination method.

If @Red Phoenix friend has proof of 12 x 65K monthly overseas transfers, as he states, then that would be accepted for the conversion to Non O.

VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 108.92 kB · 9 downloads  

If you wish to misinterpret "overseas transfers" as income that is up to you, but does not make it fact.

Take it you didn't bother to read the post from @smokeandice.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:43 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, I am actually changing from money in bank to income.

I have the 800k in the bank and I also started the 65k transfers when obtaining my current extension last October.  

I will be able to show compliance to money in bank along with 12 months of deposits. 

Then next extension use income method.  

Thinking your friend will need to start over.

Border bounce visa e empty entry and obtain the Non O at local immigration office showing his 12 month of transfers

Why, I just did it last week in Jomtien. Last extension ฿800K this year income method I just did a regular extension and I just showed the special bank statement showing the 12 deposits and foreign transfer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you wish to misinterpret "overseas transfers" as income that is up to you, but does not make it fact.

I usually agree with your opinions, but beg to differ in this case.
Exactly which part of 5.3 in the above attached procedure for converting to Non Imm do you fail to understand. What do you think "Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand" refers to.
The 800K funds requirement is listed at 5.2 and Embassy Income letters are also listed.

I submit extension applications on behalf of some disabled expats, and have done so for a number of years.
Since certain Embassies stopped issuing Income letters, some using the income method were forced to change to monthly 65K overseas transfers as a result.
Two of the above expats are of Australian nationality and returned to Aus for free medical surgery, missing their extension renewal dates, but maintained their 65K monthly overseas transfers.
The Thai Embassy in Aus never offered the Non O based on retirement, only the Non Imm O-A being available.

They both returned VE and I submitted their application to convert to Non Imm using evidence of 12 x 65K monthly overseas transfers, with a pension statement as proof the transfer came from a pension.

Non Imm stamps were issued without question in both cases, and I subsequently then applied for their 1-year extension using the same evidence, and that's fact, not an opinion.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Take it you didn't bother to read the post from @smokeandice.

I read it and dismissed it having a different experience.
It's rather vague and doesn't state the reason for refusal.
Perhaps his overseas monthly transfers were irregular, perhaps he didn't provide evidence the transfers came from overseas, or could provide a pension statement/letter as to the source of the transferred funds being from a pension, or his documents weren't in order. Or perhaps CW interpret 5.3 differently to other Immigration offices.
The jury is out on that one.

Edited by Liquorice

9 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Why, I just did it last week in Jomtien. Last extension ฿800K this year income method I just did a regular extension and I just showed the special bank statement showing the 12 deposits and foreign transfer. 

Were you required to provide evidence that you met the conditions for the then current extension, as in maintaining 800K for 3 months after that extension was granted, then 400K for the remainder of the term?

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:52 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Ridiculous, WTF has a bank book got to do with passport renewal and stamp transfers ?

e

Just a thought OP, have you ensured that your monthly income transfers are designated by your Thai bank as coming from overseas ?

Yes. Every month since July this year. 3 months before the extension from 90 days to one year.

And every month for 7 years when I had a Non O A.

All FTT

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:07 PM, Pappap said:

Asked the same question re changing from 800k to 65k a few months ago and this seems to be the correct proceedure, therefore if OPs friend has used the funds from the 800k before the 3 months was up seems whole procedure, eithere 800 or 65 metchod has to be started again. as Brick Top did aks the IO then you'll def know  😉

incorrect, i did not have to,  Did not have the 800K and I was able to get an extension using 12 65K deposits after my 1st year..

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

incorrect, i did not have to,  Did not have the 800K and I was able to get an extension using 12 65K deposits after my 1st year..

That would be brilliant, if the OP's friend is able to do this then I can use mine a lot earlier than I thought..ta...

5 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Hi AAArdvark,

Thanks for sharing your experience as it gives a glimmer of hope for my friend that he might not have to exit Thailand and start the whole process for a Non Imm O Visa from scratch again. 

A couple of questions though:

#1 - At which Imm Office did you apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement? 

#2 - Did you - like my friend - NOT meet the required 'Funds-in-Bank' requirement during the 12 months preceding your application for the 1-year extension?

#3 - What additional requirements and documents did your Imm Office impose/require when you switched from the 'Funds-in-Bank' method to the 'Monthly-Income-Transfer' method? Obviously you would have to provide evidence of having transferred +65.000,- THB from abroad during each and every month in the 12 months preceding your application for the 1-year extension.  But did the Imm Office also require a 'pension statement' or any other documents regarding the source of these monthly transfers?  

Thanks in advance for response.  

@Red Phoenix

Suffice to say, it really depends on whether CW check his previous financial method used for his current extension.
My own experience is that the 12 x 65K overseas transfers have been accepted with no check on which method was previously used.

But by the letter of Immigration orders, he hasn't met the conditions for the extension he currently has, in that he didn't maintain a balance of 800K for 3 months after the extension was granted, but will they check is the question?

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:36 PM, Liquorice said:

@Red Phoenix

Suffice to say, it really depends on whether CW check his previous financial method used for his current extension.
My own experience is that the 12 x 65K overseas transfers have been accepted with no check on which method was previously used.

But by the letter of Immigration orders, he hasn't met the conditions for the extension he currently has, in that he didn't maintain a balance of 800K for 3 months after the extension was granted, but will they check is the question?

I can say for a fact they did check this for my application at CW in June of last year and until they got proof in form of copies of previous year would not accept application because I had used income method but also had money in bank until 2 months after extension.  Since then CW has been notating retirement extension of stay method used in passport from reports here.

• Thumbs Up 2