Switching from 'Funds-in-Bank' method to 'Monthly-income-transfer' method

Due to urgent necessity a friend of mine had to use part of the funds that he kept on his personal Thai bank-account and dipped 150.000,- THB under the required tresshold minimum of 800K to meet the financial requirements for his next 1-year extension.  He did this during the first 3 months after he applied for his current 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. 

He did not have sufficient funds on his other Thai bank-accounts, reason that he had to use part of the required 800K during that initial 3-month period. 

However, he has been transferring more than 65.000,- THB every month from abroad.  

His Imm Office is CW, and his current Permission to stay is due to expire 31 October 2024.

QUESTION

> Are there any AN-members that have switched when applying for their 1-year extension  from the 'Funds-in-Bank' method to 'Monthly-income-transfer' method?

And if so are there any additional requirements to be met at CW for such a switch besides proof of having transferred +65K funds from abroad each and every month for the 12 months preceding the application for his 1-year extension in October 2024?

Thanks for any responses.

Note: He is well aware that if he would not meet any additional requirements that CW might impose for such a switch at his next 1-year extension application, that he would have no option but to leave Thailand, and on return start the application process from scratch again for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

Edited by Red Phoenix

17 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

that he would have no option but to leave Thailand, and on return start the application process from scratch again for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

What do you mean "from scratch"?

There is very little difference between an extension renewal and a new extension, done it several times in the last few years. In fact last extension in Dec with new passport from UK and new visa probably easiest I have ever done.

Can't understand why many go to great lengths to avoid what can often be the easiest option.

29 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Due to urgent necessity a friend of mine

Another "friend".

31 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

However, he has been transferring more than 65.000,- THB every month from abroad.  

When did your friend start transferring the 65,000?

I think your friend is hosed. Maybe get back to 800,000 then go visa exemption to 90-day Non-O to 1 year extension? 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There is very little difference between an extension renewal and a new extension, done it several times in the last few years. In fact last extension in Dec with new passport from UK and new visa probably easiest I have ever done.

Can't understand why many go to great lengths to avoid what can often be the easiest option.

Applying for the 1-year 'retirement' extension only requires 1 visit to CW.

That's obviously far more attractive to him than having to leave Thailand, and on return apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, with the 'under consideration' period.  And then at the end of the 90 days apply for the 1-year extension based on that new 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

1-Another "friend".

2-When did your friend start transferring the 65,000?

3-I think your friend is hosed. Maybe get back to 800,000 then go visa exemption to 90-day Non-O to 1 year extension? 

1 - Yep, a friend who PM-ed me about the situation I described.  My Imm Office is in SiSaKet province, but his address is in Bangkok, hence the request for any additional requirements that CW might impose when wanting to do such a switch.

2 - He has been transferring every month +65K from abroad and this from before he got his current 1-year extension of stay, hence the question whether he would be able to switch from the 'Funds-in-Bank' method to the 'Monthly-Income-transfer' method, when applying for his 1-year extension of stay due 31 Oct 2024.

3 - If he - due to additional requirements from CW - is not eligible for making using of the 'Monthly-Income-transfer' method, then he has no choice but to leave Thailand and on return start the process to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa from scratch.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

I did a quick search, plenty of relevant threads, and the general feel is that this is possible, and has been accomplished by several people, including some Bangkok-based posters.

The one issue highlighted in a few of the threads is

"Did your friend meet all the conditions of the previous extension by keeping the 800,000 in the bank for three months?"

Your post seems to indicate that your friend did not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I am actually changing from money in bank to income.

I have the 800k in the bank and I also started the 65k transfers when obtaining my current extension last October.  

I will be able to show compliance to money in bank along with 12 months of deposits. 

Then next extension use income method.  

Thinking your friend will need to start over.

Border bounce visa e empty entry and obtain the Non O at local immigration office showing his 12 month of transfers

Thanks!

From your response it is implied that in order to switch from the 'Funds-in-Bank' method to 'Monthly-income-transfer' method, that you need to show full compliance for BOTH methods in the 12 months preceding your application for the 1-year extension. 

If that is correct, then obviously he would not be able to make the switch, as due to that urgent withdrawal he made, he does not meet the 800K criterium of the Funds-in-Bank method during first 3 months after application anymore. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

From your response it is implied that in order to switch from the 'Funds-in-Bank' method to 'Monthly-income-transfer' method, that you need to show full compliance for BOTH methods in the 12 months preceding your application for the 1-year extension

Being Oz I cannot obtain the income letter

If I could, then thinking compliance with the money in bank requirements and embassy letter and perhaps couple of months transfers would be sufficient. 

Someone who has actually done the process can outline what they did. 

Aside note for others. 

Recently obtained new pp and had stamps transferred..

CW made me photocopy all pages of bank books. 

Perhaps a worry for someone using an agent for annual extensions 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Being Oz I cannot obtain the income letter

If I could, then thinking compliance with the money in bank requirements and embassy letter and perhaps couple of months transfers would be sufficient. 

Someone who has actually done the process can outline what they did. 

Aside note for others. 

Ridiculous, WTF has a bank book got to do with passport renewal and stamp transfers ?

Just a thought OP, have you ensured that your monthly income transfers are designated by your Thai bank as coming from overseas ?

27 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Ridiculous, WTF has a bank book got to do with passport renewal and stamp transfers

I'm telling you what occurred to me 2 weeks ago at CW.

I had the bank book with me as I had read reports of CW requiring this for transferring visa info and stamps from old to new pp.

My experience confirms this. 

Please post facts rather than anything Ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm telling you what occurred to me 2 weeks ago at CW.

I had the bank book with me as I had read reports of CW requiring this for transferring visa info and stamps from old to new pp.

Please post facts rather than anything Ridiculous 

and what i posted was not facts that you stated....

30 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Aside note for others. 

7 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

and what i posted was not facts that you stated.

That's because you are wrong.

The bank book and photocopies are requured for transfer of stamps.

BTW the balances were  very carefully checked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

If that is correct, then obviously he would not be able to make the switch, as due to that urgent withdrawal he made, he does not meet the 800K criterium of the Funds-in-Bank method during first 3 months after application anymore. 

I think it is correct.

Your friend was granted an extension based on the money in the bank method, and failed to comply with the terms of that extension.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

well I did the transfer of stamps last month at CM and didn't have any bank books with me.  I was told to go to the tm30 office which opens 15 minutes before the main office and then they told me to go to the walk-in 90 day as it was due on that day but that I had to do it in my old P/P first.  Didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes total at the tent screening area prior to going to window 2 inside which is marked for transfer of stamps...also no charges.

I just did this last week in Jomtien. I had the 12 income foreign deposits and a special statement form the bank. I did not have the previous 800K but for me they did not check. But they could have. 

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not in my IO at Korat they were not when i had my stamps transferred in 2015. My ''ridiculous'' comment was aimed at the requirement by your IO, i just can't see the need for such information but i do understand that some IO's appear to act on their own requirements.   

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Not in my IO at Korat they were not when i had my stamps transferred in 2015. My ''ridiculous'' comment was aimed at the requirement by your IO, i just can't see the need for such information but i do understand that some IO's appear to act on their own requirements.   

And I did not need bankbooks when I did transfer of stamps to renewed pp in 2016

At CW you do now.

Note in my first post I put this information out as an "Aside": information for folk transferring stamps at CW

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

They did confirm that after the 3 months is up from March 1st  to June 1st , i can use the full 800k to spend ot transfer out if i want to .

I have read on this forum about some guys who just put the 800K in 2 months before, got the retirement extension and then used all the 800K.

The following year they just reapply for a new extension, thereby, not having to keep money in the bank for the additional 10 months when they obtained the extension.

What is wrong with that method? I suppose a bit of messing about.

Can you enter this country on a 30-day waiver and then apply in the country for a 90-day visa to allow you to put funds in the bank for the 2-month seasoning time?

I've just had 800K in the bank solidly for 12 years.

25 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

I am doing the same thing   switching from.the 800k to the 65k monthly. 

I renewed my recent extension in Mid January as my visa expired on March 1st. I strated sending 65k via Wise on 3 January 

I checked with the immigration officers in Phuket , they were very helpful and told me everything will be ok next year but to make sure i dont go below the 800,000 for a full 3 months from March 1st 2024.

They informed me they will still require a 12 month bank statement next year showing i did not go below the 800k and another 12 month bank statement showing the 12 International 65k bank transfes .

I use different banks , Krungsri for the 800k deposit and Bangkok bank for 65k transfers.

They did confirm that after the 3 months is up from March 1st  to June 1st , i can use the full 800k to spend ot transfer out if i want to .

Asked the same question re changing from 800k to 65k a few months ago and this seems to be the correct proceedure, therefore if OPs friend has used the funds from the 800k before the 3 months was up seems whole procedure, eithere 800 or 65 metchod has to be started again. as Brick Top did aks the IO then you'll def know  😉

Edited by Pappap
Incorrect grammer!
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Due to urgent necessity a friend of mine had to use part of the funds that he kept on his personal Thai bank-account and dipped 150.000,- THB under the required tresshold minimum of 800K to meet the financial requirements for his next 1-year extension.  He did this during the first 3 months after he applied for his current 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. 

He did not have sufficient funds on his other Thai bank-accounts, reason that he had to use part of the required 800K during that initial 3-month period. 

His Imm Office is CW, and his current Permission to stay is due to expire 31 October 2024.

QUESTION

> Are there any AN-members that have switched when applying for their 1-year extension  from the 'Funds-in-Bank' method to 'Monthly-income-transfer' method?

And if so are there any additional requirements to be met at CW for such a switch besides proof of having transferred +65K funds from abroad each and every month for the 12 months preceding the application for his 1-year extension in October 2024?

Note: He is well aware that if he would not meet any additional requirements that CW might impose for such a switch at his next 1-year extension application, that he would have no option but to leave Thailand, and on return start the application process from scratch again for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

What country is your friend from.

Monthly payment out of country for CDN is go to embassy with proof for one year of deposits sign declaration get letter

Take letter and monthly bank statement to immigration

20minutes later have a nice day

Of course this is at pathum Thani

Might take longer at cw

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

QUESTION

To my knowledge, part of the permission for an extension of stay is to keep the deposit as requested; i.e. 800k baht 3 month after permission of extended stay, and not under 400k baht the remaining period until two month before next application, where you need to top up to 800k baht again. Getting below the mandatory levels means that your present extension of stay terminates, and your friend will need to restart with a new non-immigrant O-visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Applying for the 1-year 'retirement' extension only requires 1 visit to CW.

That's obviously far more attractive to him than having to leave Thailand, and on return apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, with the 'under consideration' period.  And then at the end of the 90 days apply for the 1-year extension based on that new 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

If he can do it in one visit without a problem, why start the thread.

My comment was based on entering thailand with a visa but you decided to change the context and turn that into visa exempt. That I believe is a non starter, it is my understanding that visa conversion has to be done on money in the bank rather than income.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I have read on this forum about some guys who just put the 800K in 2 months before, got the retirement extension and then used all the 800K.

The following year they just reapply for a new extension, thereby, not having to keep money in the bank for the additional 10 months when they obtained the extension.

What is wrong with that method? I suppose a bit of messing about.

Well , you definitely would not get away with that at Phuket immigration , in January when i did my 18th extension based on retirement, they wanted to scrutinise a 12 month bank statement that hsd to start on the very day i did my previous extension,  which was 22 January 2023 , to absolutely make sure i had not gone below 800,000 for 3 months 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brick Top said:

Well , you definitely would not get away with that at Phuket immigration , in January when i did my 18th extension based on retirement, they wanted to scrutinise a 12 month bank statement that hsd to start on the very day i did my previous extension,  which was 22 January 2023 , to absolutely make sure i had not gone below 800,000 for 3 months 

Yes,

But, you are doing continuous extensions.

This guy is applying for a new extension each year and it is quite legal what he is doing.

He is doing the two-month seasoning and getting one year. Then using his money in total.

The following year, when his extension expires, he is leaving and then entering on a waiver I believe, and then applying for a 90-day visa whilst in Thailand and putting his money in the bank for two months. Then he gets another 1-year extension.

Rinse and repeat, that is how I understood him to be doing it anyway.

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

I lost my Non O of 10 years after being locked out during Covid.  When I finally returned on a visa exempt, I applied for a new Non O at Chaeng Wattana; however, the office would not accept the twelve months of THB 65,000 as financial proof.  They would only accept THB 800,000 in a Thai bank account.  Once I was issued the three month Non O, I could extend for one year using the THB 65,000 monthly deposit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

Once I was issued the three month Non O, I could extend for one year using the THB 65,000 monthly deposit.

Did you provide embassy income letter.