Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Question about visa extension

I'm British and 69, until June, and I'm married.

My Non Imm O visa based on marriage runs out on 6th June. I'll be going to the UK on the 8th  April and returning on, probably 27th May. My wife is worried, as although Mahasarakham immigration has a shiny new office, visa applications are sent to Khon Kaen and she's concerned that may take it past the end of my visa even if we visit immigration before the 6th June. Does anyone know if the date you apply is the one that has to be before the expiry of the visa?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kimamey said:

My Non Imm O visa based on marriage runs out on 6th June. I'll be going to the UK on the 8th  April and returning on, probably 27th May. My wife is worried, as although Mahasarakham immigration has a shiny new office, visa applications are sent to Khon Kaen and she's concerned that may take it past the end of my visa even if we visit immigration before the 6th June. Does anyone know if the date you apply is the one that has to be before the expiry of the visa?

You can apply up to 45 days before.  If you are really worried, why not call in to your immigration office and get the answer directly from them.

• Like 2

You can obtain extension after you return.

Note: you will need to obtain a reentry permit. 

You can do that at local immigration office or at airport the day you fly out

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Raindancer said:

You can apply up to 45 days before.  If you are really worried, why not call in to your immigration office and get the answer directly from them.

It's 45 days at a few.

Up to 30 days at most offices.

He can obtain extension after he returns.

as long as you apply before 6th June the 30 day under consideration will cover you after the extension expires

as others have said don't forget the re-entry permit, and your 90 day will start/reset when you re-enter Thailand

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Think his wife may be more concerned about him getting

back in time, returning on May 27 he will only have a short

window to get to immigration before June 6, assuming

he is not held up in the UK. 

Would personally not risk it. 

Edited by dick turpin

3 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

Think his wife may be more concerned about him getting

back in time, returning on May 27 he will only have a short

window to get to immigration before June 6, assuming

he is not held up in the UK.

@kimamey  That is plenty of time, as long as you get all of your paperwork ready to go on your return.

The application must be in before the extension finishes. You will get an under consideration stamp when you make your application, the consideration stamp is equivalent to an extension of your permission to stay. You can even go into immigration a couple of days after the report back date a there will be no problem. So please reassure SWMBO that there is no problem, apart from the English weather of course.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You can even go into immigration a couple of days after the report back date a there will be no problem.

That is true, if you are inside Thailand.

If outside Thailand and dont return by the last day of the under consideration stamp, your extension is gone.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@kimamey  That is plenty of time, as long as you get all of your paperwork ready to go on your return.

The application must be in before the extension finishes. You will get an under consideration stamp when you make your application, the consideration stamp is equivalent to an extension of your permission to stay. You can even go into immigration a couple of days after the report back date a there will be no problem. So please reassure SWMBO that there is no problem, apart from the English weather of course.

"Assuming he is not held up in the UK", being the critical phrase.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJoy said:

That is true, if you are inside Thailand.

If outside Thailand and dont return by the last day of the under consideration stamp, your extension is gone.

However if you are outside Thailand during the under consideration period you will also have a reentry permit that will be limited to the under consideration report back date. I am well aware of this as the IO who stamped me in the time before last was extremely surprised that they were stamping me into Thailand for 3 days and was concerned that I might not get to Udon immigration in time.

Strongly suggest you go in person to the immigration office at which you intend to apply and put the question to them. Incidentally, in reference the dates you mention, you need to move quickly on this.

15 hours ago, kimamey said:

Your Non Imm O visa expired a long time ago. That granted you permission of stay for 90 days, and it is that permission of stay you have been extending.

@DrJack54 gave you the correct advice.
Your current permission of stay expires on June 6th. You will require a single re-entry permit (1,000 BHT) to protect your current permission of stay until June 6th.
Provided you return to Thailand before that date, on arrival you'll be stamped in again until that same date.

You then have from May 27th (your intended date of return) to June 6th to submit your application for a further 1 year extension of stay.

If you're organised, you can prepare all document copies in advance before departing Thailand, leaving only the KR2 and bank letter/statement required on your return.

If, for any reason, your return is delayed, your current permission of stay will expire on June 6th.
You would then have to start the procedure again, as you previously did once before by either applying for a new Non Imm O visa from the Thai Embassy in London based on Thai spouse to re-enter and be granted a stay of 90 days, which you then apply to extend for a further 365 days, or return VE (visa exempt) and then immediately submit an application at your local Immigration office to change your status to Non Immigrant and receive a stamp granting a stay of 90 days, which you then apply to extend again for 365 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Raindancer said:

That was something I was looking at. Unfortunately I won't be here 45 days before.

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for all the help.

It's unfortunate timing but that's out of my hands. My wife usually does all the paperwork and isn't coming with me so I'll leave that with her. She works in a government office so she's used to all this stuff and she seems to get on well with those working at immigration. Thanks for the reminder about the re-entry permit.

32 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Thanks for the reminder about the re-entry permit.

If you end up obtaining reentry permit at airport (I assume BKK for UK) note that the counter for reentry permit is just after security check and PRIOR to passport control. Zone 2.

They have an option of 200b service fee and fill in TM8, provide photo etc

58 minutes ago, kimamey said:

That was something I was looking at. Unfortunately I won't be here 45 days before.

There is an option for 60 days (I am using that this time), though that is probably not necessary as you will be back before you need to put the application in.

23 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is an option for 60 days (I am using that this time), though that is probably not necessary as you will be back before you need to put the application in.

Of course he will, what can possibly wrong.

On 3/22/2024 at 3:30 PM, dick turpin said:

Of course he will, what can possibly wrong.

To be honest if it's serious enough to stop me getting back in time, it's probably more important than my visa. 

I've booked my flights and I'll be back in Bangkok early on the 27th May which should give me enough time. However long I have there's always the possibility something could go wrong. If it does then I'll have to come up with a plan B. I assume I'd have to leave the country and apply from there.

On 3/22/2024 at 2:57 PM, DrJack54 said:

If you end up obtaining reentry permit at airport (I assume BKK for UK) note that the counter for reentry permit is just after security check and PRIOR to passport control. Zone 2.

They have an option of 200b service fee and fill in TM8, provide photo etc

I was going to ask where to get one in the airport but my wife pointed out that I have a multiple entry, which I now remember getting. I might be wrong but I think I got that at the airport.

I need to go to immigration anyway. I had to do my 90 day report and did it online. For some reason it was rejected.

45 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I was going to ask where to get one in the airport but my wife pointed out that I have a multiple entry, which I now remember getting. I might be wrong but I think I got that at the airport

Heck. Look in your pp.

Here is stock pic .

It indicates where it was issued and multi or single and admitted untill date.

Not difficult.  

Screenshot_20240324_204945_Google.jpg

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Heck. Look in your pp.

Here is stock pic .

It indicates where it was issued and multi or single and admitted untill date.

Not difficult.  

Screenshot_20240324_204945_Google.jpg

Yes, that's what I've got.  I never looked before as I was certain it was single entry.  It was only after she mentioned it to me that I remembered getting it. It was certainly single entry before. 

Things have been a bit complicated around flights which has distracted me a bit.  I've had problems paying with my credit card as I don't seem to receive the OTP code. My Lloyd's debit card stopped working as well until I phoned them, and if I tried logging in on their website I couldn't receive the OTP from them either. Oddly Qatar, Airbnb, NHS, my wife here and my bil in the UK don't have a problem. 

Anyway, sorted now.

Edited by kimamey

11 hours ago, kimamey said:

To be honest if it's serious enough to stop me getting back in time, it's probably more important than my visa. 

I've booked my flights and I'll be back in Bangkok early on the 27th May which should give me enough time. However long I have there's always the possibility something could go wrong. If it does then I'll have to come up with a plan B. I assume I'd have to leave the country and apply from there.

If something happens so you are not back in time just get an e-visa from London, usually fairly quick, mine was about 48 hours.

I went back in Sept to renew my passport and expected to get both passports back at the same time. However I was told the old passport would come back about 10 days after the new which if it had materialised would have been after flight back. Rather than change the flight I just applied for an e-visa. I was prepared for a hicup and had available the required information and used the funds in Thai account, all very straightforward.

My old passport did come back shortly after the new so I then had the choice of returning on the re-entry permit or the new visa, I opted for the new visa. A bit like you my extension was due to expire shortly after returning so using the visa gave me a bit of breathing space before going to immigration.

All about personal choices.

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

If something happens so you are not back in time just get an e-visa from London, usually fairly quick, mine was about 48 hours.

I went back in Sept to renew my passport and expected to get both passports back at the same time. However I was told the old passport would come back about 10 days after the new which if it had materialised would have been after flight back. Rather than change the flight I just applied for an e-visa. I was prepared for a hicup and had available the required information and used the funds in Thai account, all very straightforward.

My old passport did come back shortly after the new so I then had the choice of returning on the re-entry permit or the new visa, I opted for the new visa. A bit like you my extension was due to expire shortly after returning so using the visa gave me a bit of breathing space before going to immigration.

All about personal choices.

That sounds a good idea.  I'm not expecting any problems but it's always good to have a back up plan just in case. 

• Like 1

Truly hope all goes well for you, but am paranoid

about these things and even when here never

leave it to the last week to go for my extension.

You never know what they a will come up with.

This year had a major run-in because name in

bank book did not match passport, middle name

was missing. This after a dozen extensions

at same office, with same mis-match.       

Edited by dick turpin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

That sounds a good idea.  I'm not expecting any problems but it's always good to have a back up plan just in case. 

A further option, as referred to by @Liquorice, would be to return to Thailand after 6 June with a 30-day visa exemption which you could then convert to a fresh non-O visa for marriage at your local immigration office, as set out in the following link:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

Edited by OJAS
  • Agree 1

On 3/25/2024 at 6:39 PM, dick turpin said:

Truly hope all goes well for you, but am paranoid

about these things and even when here never

leave it to the last week to go for my extension.

You never know what they a will come up with.

This year had a major run-in because name in

bank book did not match passport, middle name

was missing. This after a dozen extensions

at same office, with same mis-match.       

Given the choice I wouldn't do it like this, and I have changed plans to work round it. Originally I planned on returning to Thailand in late June, but that would have meant applying for new visa which is more paperwork. Then I was looking at Friday 31st May or the next day to take advantage of the holiday weekend, but that was cutting it a bit fine so now I'll be back early morning on the 27 May. I changed my outbound flight to about a week earlier to get back some of that time.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:02 PM, OJAS said:

A further option, as referred to by @Liquorice, would be to return to Thailand after 6 June with a 30-day visa exemption which you could then convert to a fresh non-O visa for marriage at your local immigration office, as set out in the following link:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

If I were to be delayed it wouldn't be the end of the world as I could always apply for a new visa. It just usually takes more paperwork. If I have to do it I will but hopefully I can avoid it.