Russian Man Arrested for Drunk Driving in Patong

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

alcohol breath test that showed 98 milligrams percent of alcohol which was over the limit of .50

98mg % of alcohol 

Isn't legal limit 

.05 grams (50 milligrams)?

.50 seems high 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I thought it was very relevant. Thai police focus primarily if not exclusively on 'farangs', when conducting road checks.

And Thai drivers are allowed to drive drunk, go by police checks, resume their high speed driving, and endanger other drivers on the roads.

If you consider the number of farang drivers vs Thai drivers on the road, the number of farangs arrested for drunk driving certainly does not make the roads safer. Safety is not a concern on roads for the Thai police.

The Thai police motivation is classified as 'other'.....

It is a report in an English language news report, which is only reporting such details, to sale their story.

Maybe ask the journalist to also report the number of locals arrested!

You seem to think drink driving is OK as others also do it. If you follow the law you don’t have a problem, but your superiority complex, makes you feel you are be picked on.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

I try to beat him on the first response to a thread but he gets ahead every time.

But hope you something better to say, than a few word they offer. 55555

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Drinking and driving is widespread in Thailand , not a day goes by that my wife does not warn me " stay away from that bike, he is drunk" 

Twice I have personally seen  a motorbike driving erratically,  then drifting to the side and in slow motion tipping over. the driver laying there, 

No one even gave him a second look. I told the wife, "should we stop and check if he is alright? and she said. "No let him sleep" 

I am sure many of you have seen the same. 

Of course people need to be arrested, but until this culture of drinking and driving changes , the problem will continue. 

Arresting a foreigner makes for good PR but will have little or no impact on the problem. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

Thai police focus primarily if not exclusively on 'farangs', when conducting road checks

This is not true. 

Where are you getting your information from?

Provide a link. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

No big deal, he probably rented his bike from a Russian fronted bike rental business and like most ( foreigners ) doesn't have a license to lose........pay the fine and drive to your favourite watering hole tomorrow.........:wink: 

• Agree 1

It's not only farangs who get stopped, a friend of mine who is Thai got stopped in Chalong one night, he got locked up for the night the following day in court 5000 baht fine, 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was stopped while driving drunk back in the end of 2017. Was offered a “solution package” for 20k baht. Made a counteroffer of 10k and it was immediately accepted. The next morning I read about possible consequences, which I luckily avoided and which included things like prison time and deportation, and decided to never drive drunk again. 

Edited by Hellfire

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

So how is that relevant? Or do you feel the need to post the first few words on as many threads as possible?

Do you support drink driving, because others do it?

Easy to avoid getting done for drink driving, arrange a taxi, but there us always those with their superiority complex, who will be along to defend the drink drivers, blaming xenophobic Thai police.

As a third party may  I point out that the figures in the report are meaningless. Forget about the race of the riders/drivers because the important thing is to get drunk drivers off of the roads.

The important information is the number of tests carried out and the number of those who failed, it wouldn't surprise me if the minute  number quoted was the correct number. So few tests.

The police on traffic duty have a duty to remove all drivers breaking the traffic laws from the highways.  But the RTP do not do that!

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

As a third party may  I point out that the figures in the report are meaningless. Forget about the race of the riders/drivers because the important thing is to get drunk drivers off of the roads.

The important information is the number of tests carried out and the number of those who failed, it wouldn't surprise me if the minute  number quoted was the correct number. So few tests.

The police on traffic duty have a duty to remove all drivers breaking the traffic laws from the highways.  But the RTP do not do that!

Yes agree.

Anyone caught drink driving only have themselves to blame, no one else.

I know so many people, that think it is OK to drink drive and use many excuses, such as,

Drinking does not affect my driving, 

Its OK, because others do it.

I can bride the police if I get caught.

It is difficult to arrange a taxi.

I want to save a few hundred baht the taxi costs.

I will not have an accident

I have been doing it for years and never had a problem.

It is only a short distance.

When they get caught it is the fault of the xenophobic Thai police, and they never want to accept responsibility for their own actions.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

It is a report in an English language news report, which is only reporting such details, to sale their story.

Maybe ask the journalist to also report the number of locals arrested!

You seem to think drink driving is OK as others also do it. If you follow the law you don’t have a problem, but your superiority complex, makes you feel you are be picked on.

From what I can read, you have a definite logic problem.

But then perhaps because your ability in English is very poor.

No disrespect, just a fact, trying to understand your post....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This is not true. 

Where are you getting your information from?

Provide a link. 

My apologies, since it might not be true in all parts of Thailand.

But as it relates to the Chalong police station zone of authority, it is absolutely true....

35 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

From what I can read, you have a definite logic problem.

But then perhaps because your ability in English is very poor.

No disrespect, just a fact, trying to understand your post....

Think it is you that lack the logic or ability. But never let your arrogance get in the way you ignorance.

What excuse do you give for when you drink drive?

Edited by Georgealbert

9 hours ago, webfact said:

A Russian man was arrested for drunk driving in Patong. This makes seven total foreigners arrested for drunk driving in three days in Phuket.

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin', rawhide
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, and throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide