Air cooler /Mosquitos

Air coolers work through evaporation,  the water evaporates and that cools the air, but increases the humidity, when the humidity reaches 100%, which won’t take very long, they no longer Cool the air, and now you’re sat in a warm room that’s 100% humidity and extremely uncomfortable.

The only way to use an air cooler properly is in a very wide open space or in a well ventilated space, if you leave the windows wide open, you’ll be OK .

I tried your idea a few years ago and it was way too noisy and humid.  There was no noticeable difference in air coolness either.  It was a total waste of money.

A rotating fan and mosquito net around the bed works fine.  But it takes a few days to acclimate to the tropical heat.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

I tried your idea a few years ago and it was way too noisy and humid.  There was no noticeable difference in air coolness either.  It was a total waste of money.

A rotating fan and mosquito net around the bed works fine.  But it takes a few days to acclimate to the tropical heat.

One can NEVER acclimate adequately to HIGH PM2.5.

Therefore, just get an AC.

And, just get at least TWO air purifiers.

Or......then....

MOVE to Ontario.....Canada....where the Air is Clean, ....

And, 

The fish are jumping.....

• Like 1

An air cooler works perfectly in a small area if you replace the room-temperature tank water with chilled water. Doing this often also ensures there can never be any breeding ground for mosquitos. 

13 hours ago, Nemises said:

An air cooler works perfectly in a small area if you replace the room-temperature tank water with chilled water. Doing this often also ensures there can never be any breeding ground for mosquitos. 

How do you chill water in 40-degree heat?

The tap water comes out hot?

Oh....

I know....

Buy an industrial ice machine to cool the water to cool the air cooler to cool the air....to cool you.

BUT, this does NOT work well due to DEW POINT and evaporation of sweat on the skin.

Unless you get the humidity down, using an AC, then....

You will feel cool and clammy.

I eat clams, or used to.

But, I would rather eat a clam than be one.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:33 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Air coolers work through evaporation,  the water evaporates and that cools the air, but increases the humidity, when the humidity reaches 100%, which won’t take very long, they no longer Cool the air, and now you’re sat in a warm room that’s 100% humidity and extremely uncomfortable.

The only way to use an air cooler properly is in a very wide open space or in a well ventilated space, if you leave the windows wide open, you’ll be OK .

Air coolers will work with climates of dry heat, such as the Australian interior. 15% relative humidity, 40 C. The normal mode of operation is to leave every window in a house open an inch to create positive flow.

Thailand is obviously not a place where they can function efficiently.

There is a new mosquito killer on the market, called Zappify. It is claimed to kill 99% of mosquitoes in a 5 metre radius. I've just bought one.

Apparently it is more effective than the conventional traps, which use broad spectrum UV. Instead, it's a UV laser of a specific wavelength mosquitoes find irresistible.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

How do you chill water in 40-degree heat?

It’s called a refrigerator. They are found in most houses. They make chilled water (and ice). 

The chilled water (and ice) is then placed into the water tank of the cooler delivering air up to 10 degrees cooler than room temperature. 

No one is saying these things work better than an air conditioner in humid conditions.

But… in a smaller area and for perhaps as a temporary, cheap solution… using an air cooler with chilled water is a lot more cooler and comfortable than a fan… even in Thailand. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Thanks 2

On 3/23/2024 at 6:26 PM, charleskerins said:

ok no air cooler  ,portable air conditioner?

Portable a/c are very inefficient. get a regular a/c 

In a regular a/c the condenser is cooled outside the room 

A single hose portable A/C  uses the room air it just cooled to also cool down the condenser coils. then it expels that hot air outside the room via the hose.  But that hot air it send outside the room , now needs to be replaced, otherwise after a while the room will implode LOL. So  outside warm air is vacuumed in through cracks and opening 

So it is inefficient in two ways, Using inside air it just cooled to cool down the condenser,  and replacing the air it expelled with outside warm air, 

At least this is my understanding of the system. 

Sometimes you can mount the single-hose portable A/C on the outside, just screened (or otherwise protected) from rain, and just hose the cold air indoors you get a win-win. Our stands in a DIY plastic greenhouse, and has done so for many years now, and the hose passes through a small window. Condensation water is the only issue, but we pipe that down the side of the house. We had planned to use it for growing plants in the greenhouse, but we never got that far. Only used summertime, of course!

Life goes on, and plants can be bought!

And now we're in Thailand, in a house with A/C! Lots of A/C!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 1:13 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

One can NEVER acclimate adequately to HIGH PM2.5.

Therefore, just get an AC.

And, just get at least TWO air purifiers.

Or......then....

MOVE to Ontario.....Canada....where the Air is Clean, ....

And, 

The fish are jumping.....

One of the great moments in life is listening to Ella live! Wow! Fully gal, too!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:33 PM, JBChiangRai said:

We enjoy sitting on the deck overlooking the garden. However, during the very hot season, it becomes very uncomfortable sitting there as the fans are blowing hot air, similar to a hairdryer.

I was considering purchasing a Hatari air cooler, but even if I place chilled water into the water tank, I suspect that the moderately cool air won't last very long.

I'm also considering a portable air conditioning unit, but I don't have any experience with these machines. Since you seem to be knowledgeable about air cooling units, I was wondering if you think this would be a viable solution. In terms of electricity costs it maybe costly though as I still haven't started on my solar project.

6 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

We enjoy sitting on the deck overlooking the garden. However, during the very hot season, it becomes very uncomfortable sitting there as the fans are blowing hot air, similar to a hairdryer.

I was considering purchasing a Hatari air cooler, but even if I place chilled water into the water tank, I suspect that the moderately cool air won't last very long.

I'm also considering a portable air conditioning unit, but I don't have any experience with these machines. Since you seem to be knowledgeable about air cooling units, I was wondering if you think this would be a viable solution. In terms of electricity costs it maybe costly though as I still haven't started on my solar project.

if you are sitting outside on the deck, then an air cooler is perfect for you.

20 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

Wouldn't the ambient temperature affect the cooling effect of the air coler?

Yes, but as long as it’s full of water, and the humidity is not at 100%, it should cool the air by 2 or 3°C

The problem is when people run them indoors with the windows and doors shut, it cools the room until humidity reaches 100% and then it stops cooling. The room goes back up to the temperature it was before and now you’re stuck in a hot humid room.

15 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, but as long as it’s full of water, and the humidity is not at 100%, it should cool the air by 2 or 3°C

Still very uncomfortably warm. Are you aware of any high-pressure refrigerated misting systems? (I experienced them during a vacation in Las Vegas on swimming pools and pool bars).

Lazada don't seem t stock these systems.

5 minutes ago, CharlesHolzhauer said:

Still very uncomfortably warm. Are you aware of any high-pressure refrigerated misting systems? (I experienced them during a vacation in Las Vegas on swimming pools and pool bars).

Lazada don't seem t stock these systems.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about them.

On 3/23/2024 at 4:03 PM, charleskerins said:

Was about to buy an air cooler  for the room and someone told me it is a breeding ground for mosquitos.  If so anyone have experience with this and is there any safe "solution"  to the issue?   thank You

What I did to make sure the cooler reservoir didn't attract mozzies was to put a couple of drops of sweet smelling oil based liquid, the mozzies cannot penetrate the film of oil and it gave off a nice sweet smelling aroma at the same time. I bought a shed load from Lazada and my cooler packed in.🥴IMG_20240327_135718_8872.thumb.jpg.3564b40a46e2dcfaf7827eed63018aeb.jpg

On 3/24/2024 at 6:49 PM, sirineou said:

Portable a/c are very inefficient. get a regular a/c 

In a regular a/c the condenser is cooled outside the room 

A single hose portable A/C  uses the room air it just cooled to also cool down the condenser coils. then it expels that hot air outside the room via the hose.  But that hot air it send outside the room , now needs to be replaced, otherwise after a while the room will implode LOL. So  outside warm air is vacuumed in through cracks and opening 

So it is inefficient in two ways, Using inside air it just cooled to cool down the condenser,  and replacing the air it expelled with outside warm air, 

At least this is my understanding of the system. 

We rent       decided against air cooler got another fan

2 hours ago, charleskerins said:

We rent       decided against air cooler got another fan

I Understand not wanting to invest on an A/C if you are renting. 

• Like 1