What Foodie Things Are You Really Missing?

robsamui

black pudding supper.

Branston I pick up, along with Chocolate Hob Nobs, and a few other "essentials" on my fairly frequent trips to London, but I've never found proper Black pudding suppers outside Scotland. (although I did hear a rumour you could get them in Blackpool).

Before someone mentions it, I know Yorkies does black pudding, but it's just slices, which just isn't the same.

Sure.

When you go frequently to London then you can buy all the Victoria Secrets and Hob Nobs that you want. You're missing the BIG point!

R

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From an old school Italian Deli back in New York City , a real deal meatball parm. sandwich with fresh mozzarella on semolina bread.

Sure miss those.

"parm"? Parmisan? Semilona - as in rice-grain custard? Big blobby grains like white frogspawn?

In a sandwich? (& no peanut butter?)

Now this is a rare lust!

I will note it. It's a treasure. You guys are wierd!!! Or, maybe, just you?

Love it!

R

black pudding supper.

Branston I pick up, along with Chocolate Hob Nobs, and a few other "essentials" on my fairly frequent trips to London, but I've never found proper Black pudding suppers outside Scotland. (although I did hear a rumour you could get them in Blackpool).

Before someone mentions it, I know Yorkies does black pudding, but it's just slices, which just isn't the same.

I'll tell you a story

Long ago, I took a flat in Hull, and found myself living above 3 speed-freaks down below. They were quiet and pleasant and went out to go speedy. After a month or so I bumped into one of them on the stairs and got invited in.

A very cool chat and then I saw a small pan in the cooker. "Oh! I said. What's that then?" (As you do.)

Silence.

It turned out that every time one of them shot up, they squirted a syringe-full of blood in the pan. And, then, every Sunday they made BLACK PUDDING.

I've never eaten it since.

R

I miss cabbage rolls and perogies :o

What is Branston?

BRANSTON - to an Englishman - has 1 meaning, made by Crosse & Blackwell [originally}. Sir Richard Branson founded Virgin Records and Virgin Airlines -

The former is a pickle, much like a sweet chutney.

R

Post Corrected :D

Regards

I miss cabbage rolls and perogies :o

What is Branston?

BRANSTON - to an Englishman - has 1 meaning, made by Crosse & Blackwell [originally}. Sir Richard Branson founded Virgin Records and Virgin Airlines -

The former is a pickle, much like a sweet chutney.

R

Post Corrected :D

Regards

Already pointed that out!

R

For me it's Alaska king crab leg all the way. Yummy... :D

Now I'm doing better, just before I'm leaving for LOS, I would go to my usual seafood restaurant and order a plate of crab legs. That should settle my crave for the crab leg for at least a month.

A few times I have to substitute for soft shell crabs. :o I consider it's different leaque, though.

BTW, anyone care to tell me, is there any place in BK that serves Alaska king crab legs ? You would make someone very happy. :D

'Nother Ozzie: Don't miss vegemite 1 iota - can't stand the muck. I'll have my yeast intake from breads & beers, thank you.

Don't really miss any particular foodstuffs - maybe Jatz & camembert ocassionally, or a good 'roo steak. Plain (salted) chips/crisps are a bit hard to find out here sometimes.

No, nothing in particular, happy enough with what we have here.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. Can it be that the vegemite thing was a part of the icons?

So what do YOU miss so much you could kill for? Lamb chops - don't have so much clout ...

R

Really, if your prepared to put the hard yard in searching, there's not much you can't get here.

Local delicacies excepted; but then if they were that important we'd never leave home, and taste all the better when we do get back.

Or do they?

As an Australian I can take or leave Vegemite, but a feed of lamb loin chops would go down well occasionally.

Not very much really, mainly personal stuff like seeing certain people but the internet puts them in my house everyday anyway.

I've pretty well found everything I want to eat here and a lot of the attraction is in the cooking, which I do myself.

I found a butchers in Chiang Rai who will cut beef off a carcass exactly where you point, and it's good beef; he also carries a range of cheeses including New Zealand cheddar that they'll cut off the block for you. Last week I noticed South Australian wine there for $15 a bottle.

A tour of the big Super Markets on Sukhemvit Road, Bangkok, will produce a huge range of imported items and I usually get down there every few months to stock up.

I recommend reading the "Western Food" forum on this board that regular discusses this type of thing.

i love vegemite and thankfully have a stock of it.

but i would love a Golden Crumpet right now. I know you can get them in melbourne, but not sure about other states in australia. Mmmmmm.....Golden Crumpets.......

but i would love a Golden Crumpet right now. I know you can get them in melbourne, but not sure about other states in australia. Mmmmmm.....Golden Crumpets.......

On sale last week@ Coles 2 for 1 price - would be stale by the time they got there in the mail

On sale last week@ Coles 2 for 1 price - would be stale by the time they got there in the mail

I believe Golden are available all over Oz. Bugger you - now I want some.

I believe Golden are available all over Oz. Bugger you - now I want some.

They have released "crumpet bread" os you buy a loaf of the stuff. Available across the country. :o

Eccles cakes.

Ham and pease pudding stotties from when i lived in Newcastle.

Bacon rolls swimming in HP sauce and a steaming mug of tea from Norwich market on a cold winter day.

A tray of chips and curry sauce from Great Yarmouth marketplace.

Picnic and Lion bars

Fray Bentos steak and kidney puddings

Haddock and Chips from the White Horse, Upton on their regular Friday Night Fish and Chip nights (my home pub)

I was back in the UK for the first time in many years in April. I was appalled at the gradual middle-classing of foods there. Sweet potato crisps - <deleted>.

Thankfully somethings dont change and i could still get all the above.

Bacon rolls swimming in HP sauce and a steaming mug of tea from Norwich market on a cold winter day.

A tray of chips and curry sauce from Great Yarmouth marketplace.

I thought they banned those when Delia Smith took over the area :o

Bendicks Bittermints - where are they from and what nationality are you???

R

Bendicks are a very old English chocolate maker from London. They make many different types of Chocolate mints,but to me..its their Bittermints. ..expensive..Very dark,bitter(70% cocoa mass) chocolate. Cant show you a photo..ate the last lot...must wait now for visitors in Noverber.

Prehaps you have realised ,Im from UK,but now in Chiang Mai

R

Bendicks are a very old English chocolate maker from London. They make many different types of Chocolate mints,but to me..its their Bittermints. ..expensive..Very dark,bitter(70% cocoa mass) chocolate. Cant show you a photo..ate the last lot...must wait now for visitors in Noverber.

Huh? Did someone call me?

R

Huh? Did someone call me?

Sounds like he's calling you a "bitter, old pommy black b@stard" to me. :o What are you gonna do about it?

Oops. Perhaps not. Bendicks chox :D