What Foodie Things Are You Really Missing?

robsamui

oh ive seen cornish pasties in villa. made by big john i think. i love them too.

i think the following should be added to the list:

smiths chips.

samboy salt and vinegar.

golden crumpets (with butter and vegemite of course).

preece merlot.

taylors bread.

im sure i will think of more.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

samboy salt and vinegar.

golden crumpets (with butter and vegemite of course).

preece merlot.

you are on a winner there with those three!

Also, give me a good English stilton cheese any day....

They have Branston in Villa or Food Glorious Food occasionally.

I know Villa supermarkets well but Food Glorious Food sounds very interesting. Where is it?

In Bangkok or Patters?

Tate & Lyle's Black Treacle. Liquorice Sticks. Villa has these?

Edited by ratcatcher

Obviously some types of farang groceries are a problem in most parts of the north and other areas with low farang population. I suppose northerners et al could always 'stock up' when visiting the Big Smoke (and pig out on roasts while they are there). My sympathy for those who are at a disadvantage in this regard, but I suppose that it's the price you (are unable to) pay. But look at the other advantages you have... :o

i miss artichokes, alaskan king crab legs with butter, pies (especially strawberry), real eclairs, guacamole and tortilla chips (well, just about any mexican food)

i miss artichokes, alaskan king crab legs with butter, pies (especially strawberry), real eclairs, guacamole and tortilla chips (well, just about any mexican food)

Hi girlx, I saw that you also like Alaska king crab legs, I'm quite excited to find out about you. As you can see from my post #38... I was asking if anyone who lives in BK know where to find the place that serves these crab legs.

You see I don't eat lamb, goat, beef, this leaves me not much choices at all. Do you think any place in BK has imported Akcl from the USA ?

I know Japan has been imported stone crab crawls from Florida for ages.

a good feed of australian corned beef with white sauce carrotd and boiled potatoes,

not the tinned stuff you can get over here but a real joint of silverside pickled in brine and slowly boiled

Edited by sexy man

forgot to mention steamed dimmys after the pub soaked in soy sauce. (dim sims to the uneducated)

You sure you come from the UK :o

no, im not sure i come from the uk. i come from melbourne. :D

if i knew what vegemite is perhaps i'd miss it.

If you were not force-fed it at birth - mixed with your mother's milk - there is no way to ever develop a "taste" for it! :o

have to go along with that.

Interesting statement, Spectrum - everyone I have known who has tried it (for the first time) as an adult has detested it. Maybe you have offered some to friends and they have merely been 'polite'? I suppose there are exceptions to every rule, though... I recall that some foods I disliked as a child I grew to greatly appreciate in adulthood.

Interesting statement, Spectrum - everyone I have known who has tried it (for the first time) as an adult has detested it. Maybe you have offered some to friends and they have merely been 'polite'? I suppose there are exceptions to every rule, though... I recall that some foods I disliked as a child I grew to greatly appreciate in adulthood.

I am a "very good friend" of a most devout convert, who was over 30 before tasting the dark manna.

Yes, I am aware that not everyone is so discerning :o .

BUT I have seen somewhere that there's a WHITE PUDDING that's a national dish from somewhere.

Anyone know?

R

West Hartlepool - monkey-hanger country.

Used to eat it when I was stationed at RAF Thornaby - came out of the local chippy. Great stuff!

(For our former colonial cousins - a 'chippy' is a fish-and-chip shop. Not what you were thinking :o )

Hi girlx, I saw that you also like Alaska king crab legs, I'm quite excited to find out about you. As you can see from my post #38... I was asking if anyone who lives in BK know where to find the place that serves these crab legs.

You see I don't eat lamb, goat, beef, this leaves me not much choices at all. Do you think any place in BK has imported Akcl from the USA ?

I know Japan has been imported stone crab crawls from Florida for ages.

Where I live in the south they raise softshell for export so you might start asking around in BKK, I know they aren't Alaskan Kings but you mentioned you like those as well.

Kiwis miss their sheep :D:o

I can buy plenty of lamb, so I don't really miss the sheep all that much...and there's plenty of kiwi fruit around too :D:D:D

Edited by tropo

Cheddar cheese, Roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, good reasonable price wine,

Cheddar, roast beef and yorkshire puddings are available are available all over Pattaya....and cheap wine too. Where are you?

Do you think any place in BK has imported Akcl from the USA ?

i seriously doubt anyplace has alaskan king crab legs... if so i haven't found it!

Hello again, girlx. That's exactly my Thai friends been telling me all these years: Have not seen any place severd Akcl yet. The reason I decided to ask in this forum for I'm convinced that the market for Akcl (if they have any) would aims at the expat crowds in LOS. Boy, was I wrong so far. :D

Well, I had found that at least Thai has a jumbo pawn as big as a small size Lobster. Have you ever tried broiled jumbo pawn dip in fish sauce mixed with lime juice and chopped small chilli ( prik-kee- nu = mouse -shit chilli). :o

I'm in heaven. :D