What Foodie Things Are You Really Missing?

robsamui

I was having a chat over a few drinks, and we got to reflecting about what food/snacks/condiments people really miss.

It's a National thing - the English will kill for some real Branston pickle. And an Aussie longs for the Vegamite. One Swiss friend confessed a longing for fondor (Swiss MSG?)

But what does a Frenchman miss?

What is there in Germany that you long for when abroad?

South Africa? Is it only the biltong?

New Zealand?

Italy?

Come on guys - there's a round of drinks riding on this!

Rob

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was having a chat over a few drinks, and we got to reflecting about what food/snacks/condiments people really miss.

It's a National thing - the English will kill for some real Branston pickle. And an Aussie longs for the Vegamite. One Swiss friend confessed a longing for fondor (Swiss MSG?)

New Zealand?

Italy?

Rob

Kiwis miss their sheep :D:o

French miss frogs legs.

Italians miss spagetti.

British miss fish n'chips

Americans miss hamburgers.

Australians miss barbeques.

Germans miss Sauerkraut.

Indians miss curry.

Swiss miss holey cheese.

Anymore stereotypes I have left out? :o

Edited by ashacat

French miss frogs legs.

Italians miss spagetti.

British miss fish n'chips

Americans miss hamburgers.

Australians miss barbeques.

Germans miss Sauerkraut.

Indians miss curry.

Swiss miss holey cheese.

Anymore stereotypes I have left out? :o

Problem is that these are sterotypes! In truth, the English miss Branston (not so much fish n chips, as you can get that everywhere) and the Swiss long for their fondor - which I'd never evven heard of 'till yesterday.

Any French, Dutch, Italian or German guys out there want to tell us what they miss?

R

New Zealand?

Italy?

Bendicks Bittermints.....strong bitter chocolate and strong mint fondant inside....Princess Diana s favourite as well...expect she misses them also

Rob

Really, if your prepared to put the hard yard in searching, there's not much you can't get here.

Local delicacies excepted; but then if they were that important we'd never leave home, and taste all the better when we do get back.

Or do they?

As an Australian I can take or leave Vegemite, but a feed of lamb loin chops would go down well occasionally.

Edited by sceadugenga

German here, and one thing I really miss is the weather. Yes, yes, I know, tropical paradise etc., but my absolute favorite is a snowy Christmas. Also miss the great variety of beer and knoedel.

Agree :o

The smell from the goose in the oven, snowing outside..............

Gerd

black pudding supper.

Branston I pick up, along with Chocolate Hob Nobs, and a few other "essentials" on my fairly frequent trips to London, but I've never found proper Black pudding suppers outside Scotland. (although I did hear a rumour you could get them in Blackpool).

Before someone mentions it, I know Yorkies does black pudding, but it's just slices, which just isn't the same.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. Can it be that the vegemite thing was a part of the icons?

So what do YOU miss so much you could kill for? Lamb chops - don't have so much clout ...

R

Really, if your prepared to put the hard yard in searching, there's not much you can't get here.

Local delicacies excepted; but then if they were that important we'd never leave home, and taste all the better when we do get back.

Or do they?

As an Australian I can take or leave Vegemite, but a feed of lamb loin chops would go down well occasionally.

Walkers' Cheese & onion crisps & Pickled onion Monster Munch. Haggis is good too, with tatties & neeps. :o

[/quote

As a brit - I have to say that WALKERS taste like no other CRISPS. (The USA contingent will NOT fathom this. )My daughter mails me a coupe of packets of cheese and onion each month. Bless her socks.

I SUCK every single crisp.

R

German here, and one thing I really miss is the weather. Yes, yes, I know, tropical paradise etc., but my absolute favorite is a snowy Christmas. Also miss the great variety of beer and knoedel.

Gerd

yeh yeh yeh - but now you're sidetracking. I MISS the seasons, specially autum, as everything goes gold and red.

But what do you REALLY miss food/sauce/sweets/ ?

I ate an ENGLISH pork sausage for the first time last year (in 9 years) and almost cried. (Yes-I know-all other nations also cry when they eat English sausages-so don't say it.)

get what I'm saying?

R

New Zealand?

Italy?

Rob

Kiwis miss their sheep :D:o

we dont miss any wallabies thou as we had them for breakfast on saturday!! :D

(rugby joke)

Gerd

ps -

What's knoedel?

R

I miss cabbage rolls and perogies :o

What is Branston?

Cabbage rolls and penguins? Youe are from Greenland?

BRANSTON - to an Englishman - has 2 meanings.

It's a superstar who founded Virgin Records and Virgin Airlines -

And it's a pickle, much like a sweet chutney.

R