Grab vs taxis

30 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

OK, this way - The Mall is about 5-5.5 km from me. Regular taxi would take about 70-80 THB. Grab will quote me between 160 and 250 THB. LineMan around 100-120. Bolt between 90 and 100, but that doesn't help much as mostly nobody accepts, or it gets cancelled and I eventually need to take something else anyway. For longer distances, the difference comes down to maybe 50%, so if normal taxi was about 200, Grab would be 300-400, depending on traffic. I am comparing between what Grab quoted me for "JustGrab" vs. what I actually paid for taxi hailed from the same spot to same destination at about same time. And yes, difference is quite large. But what's even more interesting is that the Grab app states that entire tip goes to driver. As driver was a bit fast to check his phone I could see that either he lost half of the fare or my tip was cut. Since then I would give drivers tip in cash.

All that said - I use Grab sometimes several times in a day. Yes, it's more expensive than regular cab, but it's convenient, drivers are OK, so are cars. Looks like they do some vetting before they allow them to join the platform. A few times I was given a premium car, and once a van. Bit of an overkill for 1 person...

I hope this is specific to BKK otherwise I won't use this fµcking service again.

I'm currently in Hanoï. Grab is still pretty cheap here.

Grab takes 1/3 of the total fare.

Dunno about tip.

37 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I thought it was just food

Nope. They have taxi also. They call a regular taxi and add a (much lower) fee on top. I took it a few times, as I could rarely get someone to accept.

There are also Air Asia and Robinhood that offer app-based transport. Never tried them, but I see some neighbours getting in their cars sometimes.

1 hour ago, MrPancake said:

I hope this is specific to BKK otherwise I won't use this fµcking service again.

I'm currently in Hanoï. Grab is still pretty cheap here.

Grab takes 1/3 of the total fare.

Dunno about tip.

Only place where Grab was excellent and cheaper than taxi that I visited was Malaysia. I used it specifically in Penang. In Singapore it was not much different from Bangkok.

In Chonburi province Bolt seems to be easier to get and much cheaper than Grab.

Friends currently visiting Thailand... 

... Encountered 3 accepted rides Grab, followed each by three cancellations.

As a result they were an hour late to their destination - They'd planned ahead and booked a grab and attempted to avoid possible issues and delays due to traffic and taxi mishaps... 

This is an embarrassment for Thailand. 

Authorities really need to start 'cracking down' on these 'services' to ensure maintained professionalism.... 

We’ve been in Krabi for almost 40days now and use Grab all the time. They are half the price of taxis; minibuses; tuk Tuk. The longest you wait is 5 minutes. Pay be scan or cash. Decent cars, mostly new and clean.

Used them also in CM, but not so often. Mae Rim to town or to Airport or to Lamphun. Reliable and decent prices. Also tried inDrive, using their App. You’re given the standard price and usually no driver responds until you increase your offer. Bargaining. Used it once and it was successful.

in London, Uber has been the best, used them for years. Tried Bolt, but found their drivers first language is not English and?  Some illiteracy. They arrive at the wrong place, then drive away, won’t respond to phone calls or messages and then you get charged a cancellation fee!  Deleted their App. I heard there’s a new travel App now in London “ Getting”.

in Canada and Florida, Uber was fantastic. Prompt, reliable and value for money.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quik refresh..... Cherry Taxis last week door to doorPratumnak to a hotel centre of Suk,soi 11, near Trendy building for GF visa biometrics 1200bht,tolls piss stop, nice a/c car.. Same price return 2.days later!