Pickpockets theft of Norwegian-Thai couple was karma, say cops

webfact

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

This is one of the reasons why I am leaving this god forsaken place.

I have just checked the date and it is not April 1st yet.

This country is an absolute joke!

Anyone with even an ounce of self respect would struggle to take this place seriously.

bob.

Enjoy yourself back in the woke west.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

To their surprise, officers asked them to obtain security camera footage from Big C themselves, citing they were on a mission to arrest drug dealers.

They then turned to the Immigration Bureau, where an officer suggested that they let it go. This officer told the couple that as this theft might be the result of their karma in their past lives, 100 years ago. The officer added that they were fortunate not to lose their lives.

Welcome to Thailand... 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Nasty bigotry, akin to saying that all farang smell bad, are whoremongers, are ignorant and have no manners.

Woke

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

Careful using the i-word.. Nobody kept anything in their back pockets. Read for comprehension.

Watch the video

Bad karma? So the next time they find a foreigner tied up with his throat cut, hanging from a tree, instead of saying it was 'suicide', they'll now just blame it on his 'bad karma'? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I guess you were unable to understand what you read, if you bothered to read the article at all. At least you're consistent.

I've never read an accurate article in Thailand. Always full of errors. The video shows a ladyboy standing behind the man and stealing stuff. So either he had stuff in back pocket or a bag that was easy to access. Either way pretty naive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoner said:

lazy policing ? come on richard. 

this is far more than just lazy policing. it is a state of mind. the police were lazy yes but it also gives insight into how some of these people operate. they flat out lied to be lazy that is the greater issue i see. some will come attack me saying i have no proof etc. Occam's razor comes to mind though.  them being lazy is a foregone conclusion. 

also a grown adult government official telling someone who apparently is a victim of a crime that they obviously deserved it. wowzers. 

the danger from that mentality is much greater than the incident in question if you ask me. getting into detail of this will only result in me being called a thai basher. so i will refrain. 

then you have the foreigner part of it in regards to how police feel and act towards reported incidents. nothing lazy about that but again getting into details will only result in name calling. 

Completely agree…,

… IMO it’s also not a Thai bash when voicing an accurate opinion in such an example.

• Agree 1

If true, this is a prime example of corrupt and lazy policing. Police officers standing around 'being policemen', not doing any actual work

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

This is one of the reasons why I am leaving this god forsaken place.

I have just checked the date and it is not April 1st yet.

This country is an absolute joke!

Anyone with even an ounce of self respect would struggle to take this place seriously.

bob.

Ta Ta Bob , safe travels , turn the lights off on your way out please mate .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Bad karma? So the next time they find a foreigner tied up with his throat cut, hanging from a tree, instead of saying it was 'suicide', they'll now just blame it on his 'bad karma'? 

It wouldn't surprise me if that's truly what they think, but they probably refrain from saying it due to obvious reasons...

13 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I've never read an accurate article in Thailand. Always full of errors. The video shows a ladyboy standing behind the man and stealing stuff. So either he had stuff in back pocket or a bag that was easy to access. Either way pretty naive. 

The man did not have anything stolen from him. If you read the article you would know that.

1 minute ago, alanrchase said:

The man did not have anything stolen from him. If you read the article you would know that.

The ladyboy is facing away from the woman. She appears to be stealing from the man.

If you watched the video you would see that.

1 minute ago, rexpotter said:

Perhaps it was the Norwegian God of good luck, Hamingja, saving this young man from a life of supporting at least one entire family in Thailand.

thai_wedding.jpg

Should be a ladyboy on the side pick pocketing

• Haha 2

I had a pair of foreigners (Eastern European I suspect by their looks/accent) try to pick my pocket at a market on Soi Buakhao some years ago.

They had a rehearsed ploy. One would follow close behind a target who's hands were full (I had two shopping bags with some pillows and linens), The other would then walk very quickly past the target, then turn and stop in front of him (pretending to talk to a taxi driver or street vendor).

Naturally, you'd have to suddenly stop and the guy behind you would "bump" into you, lifting your wallet in the process.

My wallet was in my front pocket though and as soon as I felt the "bump" I dropped my bags and grabbed the hand that was 4" deep in my pocket, twisted it and pulled it out.

The guy started protesting (hence hearing the heavily accented English which reminded me of my time in Croatia and Hungary) and held up a child's plastic coin purse in his other hand and said "look, I already have a wallet" like that would explain how his hand ended up so deep in my pocket.

I looked to see if there were any cops in the area (lol - no chance of that) and the other guy behind me said something so I let the guy go and the two of them took off down the street. Everyone around us just went back to doing whatever they'd been doing before.

Now I use a "biker" wallet that has a long, braided cord attached and a snap-clip on the other end. Still fits in a front pocket on some pants or in the rear pocket on denims and clips to a belt loop or the drawstring.
But you still have to be aware of your surroundings and checking your belongings whenever you are in a crowd of people. Anywhere. Not just in Thailand either.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Dolf said:

The ladyboy is facing away from the woman. She appears to be stealing from the man.

If you watched the video you would see that.

If you read the article you would know that it was the lady reporting the theft from her bag to the police.