I need an air purifier for my small studio apt.

cubism001

On 3/29/2024 at 12:38 PM, cubism001 said:

where did you buy the model 2 you mentioned?  Thank you Cube

I bought my "model 2" 6 years ago, and, as I look on Lazada, that model is long forgotten. They are at "model 4" now.

You may be able to find one used. I recently gave my extra purifier (moved into smaller place) to my maid.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:03 PM, ujayujay said:

Since 3 Months I have this Xiaomi Air Purifier. Very effectiv....no more hacking, coughing and sneezing! Before I had a No Name Product for 500 Baht, was not working, be careful, there are many of this kind in the Market: Air Pollution= Air Purifier big Business= Many Sharks!

Xiaomi Air Purifier 4 Compact

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4906036289-s20676995954.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=811692144385564&tradeOrderLineId=811692144485564&spm=spm%3Da2o42.order_details.item_title.1

I have the same model for my bedroom. It always shows green unless I spray some aerosol near to test it. 
Hmm.. I put it outside on the balcony to test - AQI 160 or more - still reads green. Maybe 160 is perfectly acceptable by Chinese standard?
The xiaomi  4 Lite in the living room works as expected. 

On 3/27/2024 at 2:35 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Get a box of N95 filter material at HomePro or Global House, and just cut a square to cover the back side of your fan. That's really how an air purifier works, just with a fancier filter. This will work perfectly, and is as cheap as chips!  We do that with three fans in the house in rooms where we don't have the main air purifiers.  You can see the effective difference after just one week's usage.

Filter Paper.jpg

True that method will also remove what is in the air. It may burn up fan motors sooner but in any case works.......

But a bigger concern is  just seeing these used filters & imagining what is going in your lungs, because yes your fan sucks but so do you. This is basically a mirror of what your lung is also filtering INSIDE your home no less.

Always amazing why folks tolerate such bad air. The world is a big place with clean air readily available. Yes of course not everyone can afford to leave but many can & don't......Famous Thai proverb....Up2U 😉 

On 3/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, cardinalblue said:

For the life of me, I don’t know why people choose CM to live during Jan - May

Because they have owned houses/ condos there for a long time?

21 hours ago, mania said:

True that method will also remove what is in the air. It may burn up fan motors sooner but in any case works.......

But a bigger concern is  just seeing these used filters & imagining what is going in your lungs, because yes your fan sucks but so do you. This is basically a mirror of what your lung is also filtering INSIDE your home no less.

Always amazing why folks tolerate such bad air. The world is a big place with clean air readily available. Yes of course not everyone can afford to leave but many can & don't......Famous Thai proverb....Up2U 😉 

Same reason I 'tolerated' blizzards when I lived in New England for many years (had rather a lot of 'em,)  earthquakes when I lived in California and Japan (had rather a lot of 'em there too. I've survived three major ones,) and tornados in the Midwest.
In New England, we put on snow tires and chains, and make sure we have enough fuel to stay warm. We did not need to leave home until the snow melted.

In Japan, we kept 'bug-out bags' (small backpacks with emergency food and equipment) beside the bed, and had all heavy furniture securely anchored to the walls. Earthquake-proofing your house is normal (in Japan, anyway,) and you can find all the different types of anchors in the home centers. Wise people make use of it. We did not need to leave because of it.

In the Midwest, we had a storm shelter when needed. We didn't need to move to the coast until Tornado season ended.

Here in Thailand, we have good air purifiers for the house and N95 masks that we use for a few weeks a year. No big deal.  And listening to cigarette smokers and weed smokers complaining about air quality?  Just makes me laugh!

For those who have medical issues, certainly, this air quality isn't helping you. But constantly complaining about it doesn't do anything more than make you upset... and hearing it over and over probably upsets those around you.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2024 at 12:38 AM, Celsius said:

almost any air purifier under 1000b on lazada will do. It's not a complicated tech.

BTW, what happened to the old one?

I strongly disagree with half of your statement. Although air purifiers are simple machines, there's tons of rubbish available on Lazada. Especially those air purifiers costing between 500-1500 are usually complete garbage. There are a few tests that show that these machines are everything else but reliable.

But other than that, indeed, air purifiers are not complicated tech.  They are essentially just fans and filters. Smart Air and Xiaomi sell solid machines at good prices in Thailand. I am using both. I like Smart Air somewhat better as they are quieter and more sophisticated. But overall I am happy with both. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

And listening to cigarette smokers and weed smokers complaining about air quality?  Just makes me laugh!

As well it should as those who smoke of course should not complain.

But everything else you mentioned makes zero sense & is just justifying some form of ignoring a problem

At a restaurant if a cigar smoker sat next to you & started puffing away & blowing it in your face you would say...oh that is nothing I use to live in a snowy climate?

Again UP2U it is your life your lungs your health spend it as you wish 😉 

Edited by mania

9 hours ago, mania said:

As well it should as those who smoke of course should not complain.

But everything else you mentioned makes zero sense & is just justifying some form of ignoring a problem

At a restaurant if a cigar smoker sat next to you & started puffing away & blowing it in your face you would say...oh that is nothing I use to live in a snowy climate?

Again UP2U it is your life your lungs your health spend it as you wish 😉 

No, I'd say that the smell of his cigar is ruining the taste of my meal. I'm really sorry that our comfort here, regardless of the pollution, bothers you enough to argue the point. I was a cigarette smoker for 40+ years before I quit 25 years ago. This air is nothing compared to that!  The X-ray I had a few months ago showed perfectly healthy lungs, despite living here through (and not leaving) 23 Burning Seasons.

Thanks, but we'll keep using our air purifiers and masks for the next couple of weeks, and that will be that. I'm 77 years old and quite active. I'm looking forward to another 10 years or so.

It's just not a problem for us. Your mileage might vary.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I was a cigarette smoker for 40+ years before I quit 25 years ago.

That you were a smoker from the age of 12 may explain your current tolerance for smoke 😉 

Trust me your comfort does not bother me at all. I only mentioned your filter picture to point out to those that do value their health that your filter is a good visual of what the inside of lungs likely look like.

I need not argue the obvious 😉  I maintain it is totally up 2 you enjoy !

3 hours ago, mania said:

That you were a smoker from the age of 12 may explain your current tolerance for smoke 😉 

Unfortunately, age 11...    But I don't 'tolerate' the smoke. I avoid it. There is a difference.  Although I do 'see' it when I look at the horizon, between my air purifiers indoors and mask outdoors, it's just not an issue.  It exists. So do mosquitos. There is little difficulty avoiding either of them.