Allergies

bradiston

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

MT Interlab does various allergy packages

Thanks. I went there but like the other clinics, they only test for food allergies, eg lactose. Can't find one for pollen or dust for instance. Anyway, I'm going with self medication. Anti histamine tablets, cream and drops, and my cureall cream, Germolene, which solved my right eye swelling up so I couldn't see out of it. 

BPH charged me 3000 for 2 visits and prescribed a lot of utterly useless and unnecessary antibiotics. Quacks! I hate them. Charged me 400 THB for their equipment, a microscope. 8 for a cotton bud. 56 for 2 eye drops. 330 for nurse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Thanks. I went there but like the other clinics, they only test for food allergies, eg lactose. Can't find one for pollen or dust for instance. Anyway, I'm going with self medication. Anti histamine tablets, cream and drops, and my cureall cream, Germolene, which solved my right eye swelling up so I couldn't see out of it. 

BPH charged me 3000 for 2 visits and prescribed a lot of utterly useless and unnecessary antibiotics. Quacks! I hate them. Charged me 400 THB for their equipment, a microscope. 8 for a cotton bud. 56 for 2 eye drops. 330 for nurse.

It's probably BPH that's helped Thailand move to Health insurance zone 2 as they're so expensive

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

I hope you took the nurse.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

Not only did they didn't see you coming, they sent for you. Rinse your eyes a couple of times per day with saline solution and the problem will vanish. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Not only did they didn't see you coming, they sent for you. Rinse your eyes a couple of times per day with saline solution and the problem will vanish. 

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Yes it's likely allergies, and and it's likely due to the horrific air quality that we've been experiencing for the last several months. I experienced something similar in Los Angeles many years ago, went to a very good doctor, he did a series of chest x-rays, blood panels, and many other tests all of which came back negative. I thought I was suffering from lung disease, as my symptoms were of a respiratory nature. He told me that I had simply developed an allergy to pollution, and that over the course of a lifetime we develop allergies.

Millions of people throughout Thailand are having enormous problems due to the air quality, which the authorities seem to have absolutely no interest in doing anything about. One of the few things we can do to protect ourselves is to buy very high quality, very high-end air filters for use within the house. 

• Thanks 1

Most pharmacies carry allergy eye drops.  Antazallerge is one of them.  There are other brands too.

I've been having some eye allergy problems the last few weeks too.  I live in Ratchaburi.  There are a lot of those trees with yellow flowers in bloom right now.  It could be pollen from those.

All the burning right now doesn't help either.

18 minutes ago, rwill said:

Most pharmacies carry allergy eye drops.  Antazallerge is one of them.  There are other brands too.

I've been having some eye allergy problems the last few weeks too.  I live in Ratchaburi.  There are a lot of those trees with yellow flowers in bloom right now.  It could be pollen from those.

Yeah, I've bought drops from pharmacies, and tablets. A fraction of the cost of the Bangkok Quakkaya hospital.

20 hours ago, bradiston said:

I live in Pattaya. Anyone else experiencing extremely itchy and puffed up eyelids recently? I'm wondering if it's pollen, or maybe 2.5.

...could be both but other reasons as well. Bed sheets, mattress, food, clothes, washing detergent, softener, cosmetics, fragrance, flowers, trees, medicine, and many more. 🙏. Check it out.

4 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

...could be both but other reasons as well. Bed sheets, mattress, food, clothes, washing detergent, softener, cosmetics, fragrance, flowers, trees, medicine, and many more. 🙏. Check it out.

Hmm. Think I can rule out all but flowers and trees from that list. But it could be related to my frequent visits to a spa. Communal bathing? My ears are affected too. Seems to go together. Itchy eyes and ears. Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Hmm. Think I can rule out all but flowers and trees from that list. But it could be related to my frequent visits to a spa. Communal bathing? My ears are affected too. Seems to go together. Itchy eyes and ears. Bizarre.

Well, that's easy. Avoid the spa and communal bath for a week and check the improvement. 

4 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Well, that's easy. Avoid the spa and communal bath for a week and check the improvement. 

I did, for 2 weeks. There wasn't any. But that doesn't rule out the problem arising there. I'll just keep on with the pills, creams and drops I guess. They at least alleviate the worst of the symptoms. Today there's very little itching, and the redness has disappeared mostly. So it's an ongoing battle.

I used to work for a few gyms that had pools, and you really don't want to swim in them nor use the hot tubs. many reasons including someone who doesn't know how to regulate the chemicals, hundreds of people going in the pool after exercising, mold growth from a humid, closed environment, Cryptosporidium and other germs.

I have seasonal allergies in every place I live. I lived in New Jersey, the Garden State, and stayed there until I left at 28. I was allergic to some things there but was never checked. When I moved to Texas, I went to a few allergy places that did studies. I found out I was allergic to cedar (juniper), thistle, dogs, cats, deer(which I hunt), mold, some trees and others. Most were mild besides juniper, which hits thousands hard every year. Testing is the only real way to find out, and avoid, what is giving you problems. It can be simple things in your home, like mentioned, or a seasonal thing.

Like spidermike mentioned, air here has been bad for a very long time, and will only get worse until some politician starts having respiratory problems and decides to enforce the burn laws. Here's a link for the gym pools............https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/rwi.html

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

I realize after the COVID era experience with masks is not a popular subject.  However if one reads this forum regularly they have seen the same figures I have about the local medical facilities that have been treating pollution-caused illnesses - (i.e. 30 million last year and to date this year 650K in the first two months of 2024).  I have lived in capital cities around the world famous for pollution and since I was there assigned by the US govt, was visited by US doctors that check air pollution, drinking water availability, et al. and when interviewed by the doctor was asked about outside exercising.  I was a "runner" for  50 years so the doctors always told me to wear an N95 surgical mask while jogging to block most of the 2.5 micron dust.  Therefore when COVID arrived, I was already wearing my mask whenever I went ouitside, especially here in Thailand (all of SEA, S Asia & China) due to the air pollution.  Each year we face the "burning season"...I recall flying from BKK to NKP in the planting season, not able to see the ground at all

due to the smoke from all the fires.  But, each year we hear the govt claiming to be fighting this "burning season" and it just seems to be getting worse instead of better.  Besides folks suggestions about putting air purifiers in all rooms of one's abode, wearing an N95 surgical mask should be worn whenever going outside in my opinion and that of many doctors.  Since normally, health problems caused by the pollution don't appear immediately in many cases, it seems folks just ignore any possible self-solution activities.  My opinion based on the conversations with doctors and reading about pollution and masks on the internet with comments from doctors and scientists.  It all comes down to what one is willing to take charge of to prevent damage from the pollution.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

I also use Antazallerge when my allergies act up and it helps tremendously.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I did, for 2 weeks. There wasn't any. But that doesn't rule out the problem arising there. I'll just keep on with the pills, creams and drops I guess. They at least alleviate the worst of the symptoms. Today there's very little itching, and the redness has disappeared mostly. So it's an ongoing battle.

Check dust in your accommodation. What about shower water? 

There are too many sources causing allergies.

For me I would check also the fabric of bed sheets and clothes. 100% cotton only. Organic washing detergent and softener. Also check your spices in your food. Most common is MSG causing allergy if you go out for dining. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Check dust in your accommodation. What about shower water? 

There are too many sources causing allergies.

For me I would check also the fabric of bed sheets and clothes. 100% cotton only. Organic washing detergent and softener. Also check your spices in your food. Most common is MSG causing allergy if you go out for dining. 

Interesting you should mention shower water. I'm looking to get the tap water tested in my condo, but can't find anywhere here in Pattaya to do it. The rest I think can be ruled out as this is a fairly recent event. I've not changed my eating habits, laundry or clothing handling recently. But moved into my apartment about 6 months ago.

Edited by bradiston

16 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Interesting you should mention shower water. I'm looking to get the tap water tested in my condo, but can't find anywhere here in Pattaya to do it. The rest I think can be ruled out as this is a fairly recent event. I've not changed my eating habits, laundry or clothing handling recently. But moved into my apartment about 6 months ago.

If you got your own washing machine it's not a problem. But public??? 

So clean your apartment by yourself would be an option. ( Did you buy recently some "plastic" products?) Evaporation might cause allergies as well.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:25 AM, bradiston said:

I live in Pattaya. Anyone else experiencing extremely itchy and puffed up eyelids recently? I'm wondering if it's pollen, or maybe 2.5.

What I am about to say may make you laugh. I went to the doctor because I had a pain all down my left hand side and irritation of the eyes. After a few tests it appears I had an allergy to rain which disturbs the pollen. A dose of tablets did the trick never have had it again 

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

If you got your own washing machine it's not a problem. But public??? 

So clean your apartment by yourself would be an option. ( Did you buy recently some "plastic" products?) Evaporation might cause allergies as well.

Check aircon filters and fans for dust 

I changed rooms yesterday and this is what I found in the A/C.  The mold could have made me very ill. Always check and clean the screens at least once per week. 

Screenshot_20240331-130507_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

I changed rooms yesterday and this is what I found in the A/C.  The mold could have made me very ill. Always check and clean the screens at least once per week.

I check my bedroom one myself mostly every couple of months, hardly ever much dust in there... use the AC 8 hours every night. Perhaps my habit of keeping doors and windows shut keeps the dust down.. a bit neurotic of getting a few mozzies and geckos in there with me. 

• Like 1