Rights/citizenship

fat farang

I am Canadian with Thai/Canadian wife (she hold both passports)My daughter is now 20 years old. She was born in Canada and has lived there most of her life. We did live in Thailand for a few years when she was a baby. She applied for and received her Thai citizenship here when she was thirteen years old & holds both a Canadian & Thai passport.

Does she have the right to keep both citizenships? Is there a Thai law that may force her to give up her Canadian to remain Thia after her 21st birthday?

Does she have the right to inherit property from her Thai mother?

I am Canadian with Thai/Canadian wife (she hold both passports)My daughter is now 20 years old. She was born in Canada and has lived there most of her life. We did live in Thailand for a few years when she was a baby. She applied for and received her Thai citizenship here when she was thirteen years old & holds both a Canadian & Thai passport.

Does she have the right to keep both citizenships? Is there a Thai law that may force her to give up her Canadian to remain Thia after her 21st birthday?

No there is not. The relevant translation of the law is here: http://www.ibiblio.org/obl/docs3/THAILAND&...onality_Act.htm

Essentially, the key thing to understand is that the law gives the option for a child born to a foreign father and a Thai mother to renounce Thai citizenship, and only between ages 20 and 21. There is no penalty if the child does not, nor is their any compulsion to. This has been confirmed by immigration here:

http://phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=694

No there is not. The relevant translation of the law is here: http://www.ibiblio.org/obl/docs3/THAILAND&...onality_Act.htm

Essentially, the key thing to understand is that the law gives the option for a child born to a foreign father and a Thai mother to renounce Thai citizenship, and only between ages 20 and 21. There is no penalty if the child does not, nor is their any compulsion to. This has been confirmed by immigration here:

http://phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=694

Thank you for your prompt reply. Does my daughter have the right to inherit property from her Thai family? Are there any restrictions?

yes she does.

Having said that, I'd keep your daughters canadian citizenship a secret when talking to the land office and deny that she holds dual citizenship if they ask.

The reason being is simply that while the immigration people are mostly familiar with thai laws regarding dual citizenship, most other government officals are still of the belief that is illegal - which it used to be before 1992 when the act was changed.

Saves alot of needless headaches, trust me!

• 3 months later...

Samran.

Quite some time ago we touched upon this topic.My daughter holds dual nationality also.

Do you know if she will have renounce her British citizenship if she chooses not to renounce her Thai citizenship?

I guess that laws will change by the time she is old enough to decide for herself.

She is only 5 :o

Samran.

Quite some time ago we touched upon this topic.My daughter holds dual nationality also.

Do you know if she will have renounce her British citizenship if she chooses not to renounce her Thai citizenship?

I guess that laws will change by the time she is old enough to decide for herself.

She is only 5 :D

Well I am not Samran, however, both Thailand as stated above allows Dual Nationality, as does the U.K with Brit Cit.

The wife qualified for B.C. this year and obviously already holds T.C, so no problems there, what will happen in the future, my Crystal Ball is presently playing up. :o

Good Luck

Moss

Samran.

She is only 5 :D

Well I am not Samran, however, both Thailand as stated above allows Dual Nationality, as does the U.K with Brit Cit.

The wife qualified for B.C. this year and obviously already holds T.C, so no problems there, what will happen in the future, my Crystal Ball is presently playing up. :o

Good Luck

Moss

spot on moss.

No need to renounce her BC, or TC.

As for crystal balls, well the laws have significantly liberalised over the past 2 decades on this matter, so I'm not so worried. On top of that, too many hi-so's have dual nationality these days. Changing the laws to forbid dual citizenship (from a Thai perspective) is simply too hard.