Warning - Bangkok airport immigration shenanigans

The overall point is that a couple of 'foreigners behaving badly' incidents of late stimulated a typical knee jerk reaction with clarion calls for 'tightening-up' on foreigners by immigration.

As I confidently foresaw tightening-up on the ACTUAL laws a bit ho-hum and won't amount to anything, but the 'go get em floyd' rah rah speech to the troops is only likely to engender the rabid pursuit of their IMAGINED laws - as endured by the O.P.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

These are the points of your rant that seem to matter. You claim you were arrested but 5 minutes of chatting later they let you in

What's the big deal?

It's not a rant. I'm warning you guys so you don't get caught off guard. And no it wasn't 5 minutes. More like 30. The 5 minutes were about listening to their deportation threats backed by zero logic.

The big deal is thai immigration offering exemptions under certain conditions and then threatening you so you feel like you have to give up on what you are legally entitled to.

Edited by MrPancake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, quake said:

Drama Queen alert.  :coffee1:

Good one!

referring to thai imm. officer something posted on the website - priceless! See that scene almost every visit to Changwattana.
LOL

Edited by NativeBob
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Regyai said:

The overall point is that a couple of 'foreigners behaving badly' incidents of late stimulated a typical knee jerk reaction with clarion calls for 'tightening-up' on foreigners by immigration.

As I confidently foresaw tightening-up on the ACTUAL laws a bit ho-hum and won't amount to anything, but the 'go get em floyd' rah rah speech to the troops is only likely to engender the rabid pursuit of their IMAGINED laws - as endured by the O.P.

The op didnt mention any of this , to infer this type of  interrogation.

Yes it is true , IO is on the look out for dirty falangs / unscrupulous Sods.

But he did mention what appears to be a possible money grab scheme!

Lets face it

Land borders & air entries have different rules , as mentioned and IO around Thailand and interpretation of them are different at times .

It has been very confusing over the years.

imop

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

It's not a rant.

It is a rant and thinking the forum would be more appreciative of details of your history in Thailand. 

Especially amount of time spent out of Thailand.  You mentioned Vietnam.

You would not have been deported you perhaps could be denied entry. Very different. 

23 minutes ago, retarius said:

Why don't you just get a visa you silly ass?

Too complicated irl.

Too long online (1 month).

Visa should be a formality not something that sits at the heart of your existence.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Too complicated irl.

Too long online (1 month).

Visa should be a formality not something that sits at the heart of your existence.

I just got a non-imm O 90 day visa issued in 72 hours (was sent to me on a saturday). What's this 1 month claim?

Probably just the same exageration that you "were arrested"

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Bad for business.

You seem to think you are entitled to stay here long term because you are thinking you can use a loophole in what you think is the law. Any official reference concerning law that this that you find will also say at the discretion of immigration. When they decide you are trying to stay long term as a tourist then you experience exactly what you experienced. Immigration isn't stupid, and this has been going on for over a decade. It's not new. Also, when immigration decides you aren't entering they don't arrest you. You simply are refused entry and go back where you came from to get the correct visa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It is a rant and thinking the forum would be more appreciative of details of your history in Thailand. 

Especially amount of time spent out of Thailand.  You mentioned Vietnam.

You would not have been deported you perhaps could be denied entry. Very different. 

My history is my business.

I have no criminal record or money problems and that in itself should be enough for me to travel all over SE Asia inline with immigration rules without being arrested for no reason.

I told them very clearly that I wasn't looking for a debate or a fight and that I could go away if they wanted to. Nobody bullies me or plays the spin doctor to try and make me believe that somehow I did something wrong. That btw what the last straw. An officer telling me that if i was arrested at the immigration counter it must have been for a reason. Of course couldn't find the reason 😄

F that.

They were wrong doing what they did.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I just got a non-imm O 90 day visa issued in 72 hours (was sent to me on a saturday). What's this 1 month claim?

Probably just the same exageration that you "were arrested"

Depends where you come from.

E visas are processed by the applicant country's embassy. The thai embassy in Paris asks for a month time to deliver. Super slow...

2 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

My history is my business.

I have no criminal record or money problems and that in itself should be enough

How would the Immigration Officer know that with you acting all "entitled", precisely what somebody that has something to hide would act.

Next you'll be saying there is no need for passports either.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Bad for business.

You don't have to come here, it won't affect them 1 bit if another foreigner that feels and acts entitled doesn't come back. It also won't make the rest of us looked at in that same view

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You were not arrested, stop telling attention seeking porkies 

Whatever. Call it what you want. I think what happens to me is pretty easy to picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1