Can't activate Windows 11

UWEB

Yesterday have got a new Hard Drive installed on my Lenovo Notebook. They have used my recovery Memory Stick to install W11 again and all is working, but since yesterday evening I get a pop up to activate Windows. Have followed all steps but it still fails to activate the Software. I always get the error code 0x800705b4. Any idea what else to do?

13 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Thanks, have tried the options, but instead " update failed" I get now " Download Error code 0x80080005" or it shows downloading 0% and nothing happens.

TRy the fixes mentioned here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-error-code-0x80080005/07b6e544-a501-4492-851d-83fcb80e8f2f

If it was me, I would just install windows again.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, freeworld said:

That was my first thought as well - reinstall and the embedded Windows license should activate Windows automatically. I'm also worried in link I shared above, where they stated that mostly the error comes from some installed malware or wrongly installed updates. That's worrying.

But, maybe OP has some important software installed, so maybe worth to try salvage it, and if not, format and install from scratch from USB stick created by Media Creator is last resort.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

That was my first thought as well - reinstall and the embedded Windows license should activate Windows automatically. I'm also worried in link I shared above, where they stated that mostly the error comes from some installed malware or wrongly installed updates. That's worrying.

But, maybe OP has some important software installed, so maybe worth to try salvage it, and if not, format and install from scratch from USB stick created by Media Creator is last resort.

I have no ides about Computers at all and is the reason for, that I brought my Notebook to an IT Shop in Hua Hin to get a new Hard Drive and W11 installed. Seems to me they have had not really a clue what they are doing if I see the result.

Time to look for another Shop or just buy a new Notebook.

16 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

OP, you say you re-installed from a recovery memory stick. Was it up to date or older?

The Recovery Stick was downloaded a day after I bought the Notebook 18 month ago.

3 minutes ago, UWEB said:

The Recovery Stick was downloaded a day after I bought the Notebook 18 month ago.

That might be the problem.

Your error code usually shows an update problem. Your win11 on the recovery stick was not up to date so it startet the update process right after installation/recovery.

You could try the following (sorry, my win is in German, so you might have to search a bit).

1. End and deactivate all antivirus programs including windows defender

2. Open "settings" and "update & security"

3. Click "advanced options" (don't know if the term is correct in win english)

There should be something like "get updates for other MS products". If enabled switch it off.

4. open command prompt as administrator

5 insert "net stop wuauserv"

6. insert "net start wuauserv"

7. start update again.

good luck.

43 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

That might be the problem.

Your error code usually shows an update problem. Your win11 on the recovery stick was not up to date so it startet the update process right after installation/recovery.

You could try the following (sorry, my win is in German, so you might have to search a bit).

1. End and deactivate all antivirus programs including windows defender

2. Open "settings" and "update & security"

3. Click "advanced options" (don't know if the term is correct in win english)

There should be something like "get updates for other MS products". If enabled switch it off.

4. open command prompt as administrator

5 insert "net stop wuauserv"

6. insert "net start wuauserv"

7. start update again.

good luck.

Thanks.Have followed you till step 3 and there it stops. Clicked on advanced options and the System started a search right away and I left it running for about 30 minutes. Than I switched it off.

OP, do you have many programs on your machine and have invested much time to install and personalize?

If not, your best (only?) option would be to save all data and make a clean install. It's usually not a big deal. 

It's just now a week gone after I've got a new Hard drive and my Notebook will not Start anymore. Is this just the outcome on non activated W11 or can I expect some other serious problem like broken Motherboard?

On 4/7/2024 at 2:37 PM, UWEB said:

It's just now a week gone after I've got a new Hard drive and my Notebook will not Start anymore. Is this just the outcome on non activated W11 or can I expect some other serious problem like broken Motherboard?

Non activated Win11 didn't stop your computer from booting. That cause needs investigation. At this point, the shop is your best bet. If that's an old notebook (probably) it may not like Win11 anyway. Consider Win 10 or Linux. 

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Non activated Win11 didn't stop your computer from booting. That cause needs investigation. At this point, the shop is your best bet. If that's an old notebook (probably) it may not like Win11 anyway. Consider Win 10 or Linux. 

It's an 18 month old Lenovo IdeaPad 5 and came with W11 pre installed. My guess is, that the Repair Shop did something wrong.

1 hour ago, UWEB said:

It's an 18 month old Lenovo IdeaPad 5 and came with W11 pre installed. My guess is, that the Repair Shop did something wrong.

Ah. Sounds about right.

Is it possible that because the OP's memory stick restore file is 18 months old, W11 was trying to do a whole slew of OTA updates? Turning it off and on is simply prolonging this?

I do recall that some early W10 updates were all very mysterious with a blank screen and no indication that anything was happening, which would result in the impatient restarting and getting nowhere fast.  Leaving it to 'do its thing' overnight usually sorted out that mess.

If the OP took the machine to a shop and had the HD replaced while updating was 'in progress) and, assuming some HD cloning was done, then it's possible that this has crashed the OTA updates.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:37 AM, UWEB said:

It's just now a week gone after I've got a new Hard drive and my Notebook will not Start anymore.

What exactly is "not start anymore"? What happens after you push the power button?

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

What exactly is "not start anymore"? What happens after you push the power button?

When I push the Power Button the Lenovo Logo pops up, than the Screen is black and nothing happens. Have searched the Internet and found a lot of Tips how to start the Notebook again like holding 10 seconds the Power Button or push the reset Button  etc., but all did not help to start the Notebook again.

When I was working the last time with the Notebook I have got a blue screen with a message "Your Device is running into serious Problem" or similar and shut down. Since I can't start it again.

2 hours ago, UWEB said:

When I push the Power Button the Lenovo Logo pops up, than the Screen is black and nothing happens. Have searched the Internet and found a lot of Tips how to start the Notebook again like holding 10 seconds the Power Button or push the reset Button  etc., but all did not help to start the Notebook again.

When I was working the last time with the Notebook I have got a blue screen with a message "Your Device is running into serious Problem" or similar and shut down. Since I can't start it again.

Then it's quite sure that the problem has nothing to do with the new ssd or your WIn11 activation. I guess the shop made something wrong when installing the ssd, but I'm not sure what this could be. To change the hdd in an Lenovo laptop is very easy. I'd visit a Lenovo dealer.