Thais received the most scam calls in Asia last year

snoop1130

images.jpg

People in Thailand received more telephone scam calls than anywhere else in Asia last year, followed by the Philippines and Hong Kong, according to the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth).

Last year’s data show that scammers sent messages or called Thais 79 million times, marking an increase of about 18% from 2022.

ThaiHealth based its information on the 2023 annual report of the Whoscall application, which is designed to identify callers and filter out unwanted calls, such as those from telemarketers, robocalls and scammers.

Caption: Image from flickr

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-04-03

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Lazy Thai scammers, how pathetic at only 79 million? 

The US gets over 50 billion scam calls a year.

Maybe that has something to do with the population size?

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

People in Thailand received more telephone scam calls than anywhere else in Asia last year,

Obviously they are the lowliest educated so more vulnerable to scammers!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

If the call doesn’t show up as a contact from my list then I don’t answer. If it’s important they can leave a message. I find this approach reduces the chances of getting caught up in these phone scams. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

If the call doesn’t show up as a contact from my list then I don’t answer. If it’s important they can leave a message. I find this approach reduces the chances of getting caught up in these phone scams. 

As always gets mentioned, each delivery from Lazada involves an unknown caller. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe that has something to do with the population size?

???

Did you do the math?  I'll wait.

The US population is approx. 5x that of Thailand.

395,000,000 isn't close to 50 billion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, still kicking said:

Don't you never sleep? You always to reply to any post 

Sorry Grammar Police here. Should be 'Don't you EVER sleep" or 'Do you never sleep' 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zack61 said:

I also have started to do the same and installed the free app, ' CallApp '  for monitoring caller ID and spam ID.

I am getting too many nonsense calls now.

Thais fall for the most scams in Asia last year would be a more fitting title.

It doesn't matter if what they call News has just done a 10 minute report on job recruitment scams, when that phone call comes the amnesia kicks in and thought of being a specially selected TikTok quality assurance officer with just a small equipment deposit fee is too good to turn down..

As they need the money to pay a DHL agent the taxes on the package of jewellery their rich senior US Navy general has waiting for them

Edited by eyeman

5 hours ago, malcolminthemiddle said:

There is an epidemic of scam calls in Thailand. How can they be stopped?

They won't whilst the Thai's keep falling for them again and again, it must be like shooting fish in a barrel to the scammers targetting +66, they don't even have to try, I've known Thai people who have fallen for the same scam twice, well near the enough same - I got job with TikTok one month, I got a job with Facebook the next month!   🤦‍♀️

45 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Thais received the most scam calls in Asia last year

Thais MADE the most scam calls in Asia last year

Probably, I know they try to scam the Thai people in Australia to the extent the Aussie Thai community are onto it and post in all their Thai / Aussie community pages about it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As always gets mentioned, each delivery from Lazada involves an unknown caller. 

Yeah they do that, but you don't have to answer, they'll still leave it at condo security or throw it on your driveway anyway, unless COD