Do immigration police make it up as the go along.....

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A Foreigner cannot be put in a Blue book, only Thais

Yes..... that is probably down to me not paying attention to what the wife is telling me.....yellow book here we come.....

18 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Cheers...wife has been to the Amphur....we need my passport validating in BKK, then it has have an MFA translation......I really am not fussed about doing this.....not sure why she has a bee in her bonnet about it.

I thought the translations are done out in CW in the government complex in one of the many buildings out there. I was there once many years ago, but don't recall exactly which building it was. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

I thought the translations are done out in CW in the government complex in one of the many buildings out there. I was there once many years ago, but don't recall exactly which building it was. 

I had my old passport done by, or through, a little office on Sukhumvit soi 13....... near the Trendy Building......

Edited by Will B Good

Just now, Will B Good said:

I had my old passport done by, or through, a little office on SUkhumvit soi 13....... near the trendy building......if it"s still there??

Understood, but in this case you'll need an official government translation. I am not really sure if it is the MFA that does it though. I had my passport translated once by a government office out at the CW complex as I mentioned.

I recall they had two different fees for the service. An express fee of something like 1,000 Baht if you want to wait there for an hour or two for it. And only a few hundred Baht to get it by post in a few days. 

3 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Understood, but in this case you'll need an official government translation. I am not really sure if it is the MFA that does it though. I had my passport translated once by a government office out at the CW complex as I mentioned.

I recall they had two different fees for the service. An express fee of something like 1,000 Baht if you want to wait there for an hour or two for it. And only a few hundred Baht to get it by post in a few days. 

I think we were living in BKK at the time and it came back in a day or two....no idea what we paid.....and we never used it....covid hit, then the passport ran out...!!!!

34 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

One time i renewed my DL, they asked for C of R.  Immigration asked for proof of address, so i showed my DL.  Freaking redtape...

I have no idea what evidence we presented before.....I guess it was based on the extension application....but you could put any address for that.....assuming they don't visit to check.

I think if you own a condo in your own name then you might be able to show the original title deed (Chanote) to present as verification of home address for a yellow book, but I'm not 100% sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, ABCDBKK said:

I think if you own a condo in your own name then you might be able to show the original title deed (Chanote) to present as verification of home address for a yellow book, but I'm not 100% sure. 

I think you are correct.....but until the wife had 'our' house built (without telling me) we have always rented or lived in hotels.

2 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

After living in Thailand for the past 22 years I've come to the conclusion that Thai governments don't want farangs who reside here. They prefer the farangs who go to Thailand on their annual leave and spend money big time over a 4-6 weeks period. Little do these cretins understand that we are mainly retirees who share our life time savings with the Thai lady that we marry. Most of us have taken our ladies out of poverty. I'm even helping my wifes 40yo kids who work hard for low salaries. So why make things harder for us farangs when we're actually help Thai people who weren't fortunate to come from wealthy families.

All I can think as an argument against that is that it is due to their total, undying love of paperwork and convoluted procedures.....in triplicate....... and we just happen to be the victims

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

After living in Thailand for the past 22 years I've come to the conclusion that Thai governments don't want farangs who reside here. They prefer the farangs who go to Thailand on their annual leave and spend money big time over a 4-6 weeks period. Little do these cretins understand that we are mainly retirees who share our life time savings with the Thai lady that we marry. Most of us have taken our ladies out of poverty. I'm even helping my wifes 40yo kids who work hard for low salaries. So why make things harder for us farangs when we actually help Thai people who weren't fortunate to come from wealthy families.

.........don"t forget, your average Thai have to suffer the same as us.....the MIL had to drive for three hours last week to fill in a form to claim some money....some kind of welfare.....ludicrous.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, samtam said:

I'm a farangy, and my lawyer got me a blue book, a yellow book and a pink card, (all pretty colours), from my Amphur (Thungmahamek) in Bangkok. My partner and I jointly own our condo. He too is not Thai, but only the house number appears in the blue book, and in the yellow book the same house number, both our names, me first page and then him on the second page. We both signed Amazonian forests of paper, met the head honchola, and paid the lawyer, (I can't remember how much). So in answer to your question, "yes"; they do make it up.

I think we did this all around the time of the reintroduction of the TM.47 hoopla, which then died down, (as in not required for re-entry, or going out of province etc).

Think I"ll stick with the yellow book....if I end up doing anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

All I can think as an argument against that is that it is due to their total, undying love of paperwork and convoluted procedures.....in triplicate....... and we just happen to be the victims

I think most believe that they run the show even though they are total nobodies in the Immigration chain of command. As for the paper work they would need reams of it for the $hit they go on with. The thing that gets me is the Immigration rules are set in stone and these same nobodies appear to give themselves the right to make changes as they see fit.

• Haha 2

Just asked SWMBO.....and apparently in addition to all the hoops mentioned, we have to take the head of our village to the Amphur....???

Yes, I did, give him a drink, bottle of whisky. He has to show your name in his register, which it probably isn't in it....😁

We went to his house, so your Mrs must find out where he lives. It sounds a lot of messing about, but it is their way of doing things....😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

I think most believe that they run the show even though they are total nobodies in the Immigration chain of command. As for the paper work they would need reams of it for the $hit they go on with. The thing that gets me is the Immigration rules are set in stone and these same nobodies appear to give themselves the right to make changes as they see fit.

Well, I hope I'm done for the next 11 months or so........but it does seem to come round quickly....5555......oh wait...b****y 90 day report to do...damn.

Just now, transam said:

Yes, I did, give him a drink, bottle of whisky. He has to show your name in his register, which it probably isn't in it....😁

We went to his house, so your Mrs must find out where he lives. It sounds a lot of messing about, but it is their way of doing things....😉

Hard to believe....but it is a very young lady...????

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Just asked SWMBO.....and apparently in addition to all the hoops mentioned, we have to take the head of our village to the Amphur....???

Six years after being told several times that we must be married to get a Yellow book for me, I finally got the relevant info saying that we didn't. Two weeks later, and Bht 500 to the village head man, book, Pink card were there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hard to believe....but it is a very young lady...????

Mine old bloke lived in a shed...........🤭

You better forget the whisky then, your Mrs will know what to do... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Six years after being told several times that we must be married to get a Yellow book for me, I finally got the relevant info saying that we didn't. Two weeks later, and Bht 500 to the village head man, book, Pink card were there. 

Fingers crossed....555

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

You had to go for a photo shoot for the card, and answer their questions though....😉

Just now, KannikaP said:

5 minutes online. Stop moaning.

Last one was rejected.....told to drive to immigration to resolve an issue (three hour round trip, not five minutes)....refused point blank and just did it by post.