1st Timer Needs Advice Please

hi all

i've just found this site...seems pretty cool :D

i'm visiting thailand this year for 4 months and a few days...

i just found out today that i can only stay in thailand for 60 days at a time and that i'll have to leave and re enter for another 60 days :o

i've paid the double fee for a double entry visa(i'm travelling from uk) but i'm still a bit confused and could do with some help :D

if i travel to cambodia for a renewal...how much does the trip cost? and how long does it take?

i'd prefer to renew my visa as soon/quick as possible... as i'll have friends visiting me in thailand when my 60 days expires :D

if peeps could post info on visa renewal trips/cost etc i'd really appreciate it :notworthy:

i don't know if cambodia is the quickest/safest option??... it's just i heard some1 mention it at the embassy today

any info be appreciated :D

There are a number places that you can cross the border to start the second entry of your visa. Malayisa - Cambodia - Laos - Myanmar (Burma).

Malaysia is probably the easiest as then do not require visa's for europeans.

However the others may be more interesting.

Do your trip planning carefully.

Each of those 60 day visa's are extendable by 30 more days each. You do need to cross one border, one time to make it all work. I am here on an extended business visa so I cannot give you a cheap option for a border run. Other members will help you. Good luck.

hi all :o

thanks for the replies :D

dr pat pong- could i actually stay in thailand 90 days each time? where could i get the 30 day extension??

or did u mean stay for 60 days, leave, stay 30 days, leave, stay 60 etc?

i'm gonna try find some more info on crossing the borders etc.....it would be ideal if i could get a flight for 1 hr out of thailand then return straight away :D...but i don't know if that's possible???

any other info or tips for the trip would be appreciated :D

hi all :o

thanks for the replies :D

dr pat pong- could i actually stay in thailand 90 days each time?  where could i get the 30 day extension??

or did u mean stay for 60 days, leave, stay 30 days, leave, stay 60 etc?

i'm gonna try find some more info on crossing the borders etc.....it would be ideal if i could get a flight for 1 hr out of thailand then return straight away :D...but i don't know if that's possible???

any other info or tips for the trip would be appreciated :D

Hi BkkBound04

I have just seen this example of a Cambodian Trip

http://bangkokatoz.com/MAY2004_Poi_Pet_Visa_Run.htm

The Cost of Bht 2,000 includes the Cost of a Cambodian Visa

Whilst here I will answer your Q. to Dr PP:

The 30 day Extension is obtained at the Immigration Office

in Bangkok that is Soi Suan Phlu off Sathorn Road

(Which is next to Silom Road).

So you could think of the Border Trip after about say

80 to 85 days ... (Better to apply for the 30 day Extension &

do the border trip a few days each before the deadline)

Roger

thanks for the reply roger :)

do u think the office in bangkok will be sympathetic to the fact that my friend is visiting..i.e he'd be alone if i had to do a visa run

...and grant an extension?

i'll be visiting on a tourist visa for 60 days,i paid double the fee, £50 instead of £25 this allows me 2 x 60 days... i think :D

i only say this because i keep reading that a torist visa is only valid for 60 days maximum at a time :D

would the extension be a different visa?....it's just i don't want to mess up my chances with getting my extra 60 days(that i've already paid for in uk) -_-

...i've been reading some of the examples in the "visa run" section and i've got a lot more reading to do... :D

...as i paid a double fee in uk do i still have to pay to get my next/2nd 60 days when i do a visa run?

appologies for all the questions it's just i'm really confused and there's so much i need to know....i wasn't expecting this at all and thought i'd be able to stay 4 month in 1 go- no problem :o

...it wouldn't be that much of a pain if it wasn't for the fact that my friend is gonna be visiting me when my 1st 60 days expires....sods law i guess :D

my friend and i have already paid for our air fare...so he cant change the date he visits.

...the tickets were booked b4 we found out about the need for visa runs

...my 2x60 days will fall short of my departure date by about 2-3 weeks :(

...i've read a couple of posts saying that the borders are cracking down on use of multiple tourist visas for continuous stay in thailand...and refusing re entry

i've been granted 120 days by the thai embassy in the uk... & i visited thailand last year(for 2 weeks)

...is it likely that i'll have any trouble getting an extension after having spent 120 days in thailand in (nearly) 1 stay(i'm hoping to be back in thailand in 1 day) plus the fact that i visited the year before-03?

...i'd do any visa run with bare minimum luggage so it'd be a nightmare if i were refused re-entry as all my luggage would still be in thailand :)

as i said...sorry for all the questions and maybe repeating/double checking a couple of things...it's just i've been caught completely off guard by this and i need to try get things clear....i fly out in just over 30 days :wub:

hope that makes some kinda sense..

any info, input, answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

BkkBound04

Please tell us

Where will you be staying in Thailand

- is it Pattaya?

What is the expiry date of your Visa.

Is it 3 months from date of issue?

Maybe You can apply for the 30 day extension to

your 60 day stay BEFORE your friend arrives.

But you will be given the extra 30 days from

the date you apply.

Roger

thanks for the reply roger :D

i'm not 100% sure yet... but it probably will be pattaya :D

...i've got 2 check out the accomodation etc 1st :D

i'm guessing it will be 3 months from date of issue as i can't apply for the visa any longer than 3 months in advance? :o

i'm collecting my visa in a few hours :wub:

if i could get the 30 day extension without any hassle at approx day 56-57-stay another 30 days then leave thailand on a visa run and return for the final 60 days that would be ideal -_-

could i get that done in pattaya and would my second 60 days still be valid?

i arrive in thailand mid aug :D

any info/ideas would be appreciated :(

Roger,

Maybe You can apply for the 30 day extension to your 60 day stay BEFORE your friend arrives. But you will be given the extra 30 days from

the date you apply.

I don't think this is true, at least it wasn't in my case. My extension was tacked-on to the expiration date of my entry permit, not to the date I applied for the extension.

BKB,

If you've got a double entry Tourist Visa, by definition, you should have 6-months from issue date to accomplish those two entries (the key word here is 'definition,' as Thai Immigration goes out of their way to not define anything as specific). But, I bet you'll get 6-months.

After 30 days in-country go to Immigration (Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, wherever) and ask about the 30-day extension. I'll bet they'll give it to you from the expiration date of your entry permit, thus allowing 90 days in-country before your border run. But just to be safe, ask before you submit the application. And, no, the extension does not jeopardize the second entry permit of your Tourist Visa.

I wouldn't worry about any border-run hassle from Immigration. They're more worried about the 30-day visa-upon-arrival types (which really means 'entry-permit-allowed-without-visa') who border hop. You've got an Embassy/Consulate issued visa good for two entries, which is pretty solid, even if you just fly to a foreign airport, grab a hamburger, then return to Thailand immediately thereafter.

Relax, and have a great vacation.

thanks jc :D

i'm starting to get my head round it a bit now :o

i was in unsure and all sorts when i 1st found out...but since reading some posts on this site and replies from helpful peeps like yourself i'm starting to chill a bit :D

thanks again :D

i'm starting to get my head round it a bit now :o

I think some definitions may help you understand what people are talking about.

Visa - This is a document inserted into your passport by an Embassy or Consulate outside Thailand. This tells the Immigration officer what kind of entry stamp to put in your passport when you enter Thailand. The visa should have an issue date, expiration date, and how many entries it may be used for. The expiration date is a "use by" date having nothing to do with how long you can stay in country.

Entry Stamp - This is a stamp put in your passport by Immigration when you enter Thailand based on the type of visa (or no visa in the case of the 30-day visa wavier) that says how long you may stay in country

In your case, you have a double entry tourist visa good for 6 months. That means when you enter the country you will receive a 60-day entry stamp. Shortly before the 60 days is up, you go to an Immigration office in Thailand and request a 30-day extension (1,900 baht I believe). This allows you to stay another 30-days. Shortly before those 30 days are up, you leave the country and when you return (can be same day) you will receive another 60-day stamp, which can also be extended. This second entry (or even the first) can be at any time before the expiration date of the visa. It is possible to enter the country the day before your visa expires and receive a 60-day entry stamp, get a 30-day extension. Which means you would have stayed in country almost 90 days past the expiration date of your visa.

Hope this helps.

TH

thanks for the reply roger :o

if i could get the 30 day extension without any hassle at approx day 56-57-stay another 30 days then leave thailand on a visa run and return for the final 60 days that would be ideal

Hi BkkBound04,

Yes that is your scenario.

Others seem to have answered your Qs

Extensions can be obtained in Pattaya.

But there is obviously disagreement on

whether the extension will be from date

of application or tacked on to the end of

your "leave by date" stamped in your Passport

on arrival.

I do not have personal experience of such

extensions - but you will find posts elsewhere

on the Forum - which detail both ...

But if you are OK applying for your extension

on day 56 / 57 - it will make little difference.

If you think you have been helped by the Forum

do please post your actual experience - for the

future help of others.

Roger

thanks every1 for all the help :o

i really appreciate it and can't wait to get there now :D

got another question...maybe a daft1...i hope :whistle:

i'm trying to grow my hair a bit...i've always had short styles in the past and fancied a change

will that cause any agro with visas re-entry etc?

...it's just i'm sure i've read somewhere that peeps have been turned away for having long hair or looking scruffy?

...any truth in that?

..... or can i get the extensions now? :whistle: lol

appreciate any info advice :D

atb

both those links r very helpful totster :D

did i read that right that u can get an extra 30 days on the 1st visit(60) from an office in pattaya?...that would be a lot easier than having to go to bkk :o

Most Thai Immigration offices can grant the 30day extensions. Each extension costs 1900 baht.

As far as nearest border goes, do a search of this branch of the forum for Poipet,

Those of us in BKK and Pattaya are stuck with going on visa runs to this beautiful little town in Cambodia with the nicest Immi officials anywhere :o

Border Run for a multiple.

If you are just looking for a fast easy run then up to Chiang Rai and across into Myanmar is fast and easy. Air Asia can get you to Chiang Rai for a little over 2000 baht RT and you can get to Mae Sai for about 35 baht (1 hour by AC bus) and to cross into Myanmar is 250 baht.

There are several nice cheap GH's in Chiang Rai and the night Bazaar has a nice show that has free shows outdoors. I have also found this one of the cheapest markets to buy gifts/stuff at. (I bought a dozen businesscard holders there for 1000 baht that were made from burlwood from Myanmar.)

chok dee

If you stay in pattaya then there are many companies who do border run's. I use a very good one and have done 6 times. set off at 7am back at 15-30ish. We go to the town of Trat. cost 2200 bt.

As for long hair looking scruffy, i would suggest that if you were a gov official and a long haired scruffy lout, showing off his tatooes and smelling of beer chang from the night before came up to you, you would not be to happy either.

Treat the officer and any other official in thailand with the respect they do deserve and they are fine people. No need to over do it, shirt and jeans/slacks will be fine.

Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in here with a thought. Why not try and get a 90 day or 1 year multi entry type O non-immigrant visa in your home country before departure. That way you would only have to get a stamp after 90 days which would be well past your friends visit. Got my 1 year multi here in Denver in less than 10 minutes from start to finish. :o

Also, Pattaya was only issuing 14 day extensions when I was living there. Have no idea what their current practices are. Visa runs to Cambodia only take about 12 hours from Pattaya if you travel with one of the services.

Best wishes to you on your maiden voyage. You will enjoy it!!!

Later...

Don

Also, Pattaya was only issuing 14 day extensions when I was living there. Have no idea what their current practices are. Visa runs to Cambodia only take about 12 hours from Pattaya if you travel with one of the services.

Hi Diago,

The length of the extension depends on

what passport you hold.

For example:

Extensions to 60 day Tourist Visas:

Westerners are usually given 30 days

Indian Sub Continent 10 or 14 days

Which Country was the Passport holder

from, who you witnessed being given 14 days?

Roger

Get a cheap Air Asia flight to Penang or Kuala Lumpur only 999 Bt per flight better bargain that you take a bus and you should booked in 1 week advance in net at

www. Airasia.com

Less hassle from border crossing,cheaper then you extance your visa fees 1000bt

I do it every month. You should try!

Good luck!

OK - BKK Bound & ThaiHome:

Guys,

It seems every experience is different. Last year the Pattaya Immigration office gave me a 30 day extension on my 30 day "Tourist Visa", but started it the day I got it. The cost - 1,900 Baht, plus a photograph.

When I returned in january, with a one year visa ("O"), my passport / visa was stamped as valid for one year. I do continue to check in with Immigration, every 90 days, but was initially confused by the airport stamp.

Thirty years ago, the BKK immigration office was a mess to accomplish anything. Other offices: Aranyaphrathet was definitly not friendly, Nong Khai was very helpful and Mae Chan allowed me indefinite extensions.

My advice:

Follow the rules as best you can understand them.

Interesting border crossing - I suspect Mae Sai or Chantaburi into Burma could provide the most interesting experience, as both areas are still experiencing turbulence from 2 simultaneous civil wars. Although some claim everything is peaceful.

Michael Weldon

Udon Thani

Hi Diago,

The length of the extension depends on

what passport you hold.

For example:

Extensions to 60 day Tourist Visas:

Westerners are usually given 30 days

Indian Sub Continent 10 or 14 days

Which Country was the Passport holder

from, who you witnessed being given 14 days?

Roger

The passport holder was me from the US. Same, same with several others at the time. Although this was a little over a year ago I'm pretty sure that the same info has been posted by others very recently. Maybe someone in town could stop by Soi 8 and verify. Probably depents on the phase of the moon too:-).

Later...

Don

dig,

When I returned in january, with a one year visa ("O"), my passport / visa was stamped as valid for one year

Are you sure your entry stamp was good for one year? With an 'O' visa, you get a 90-day stamp. But if you're retirement-eligible, and have an 'O-A' visa, you get a one year stamp.

In both cases, your "visa" is good for one year, but the "entry stamps" differ.

Just curious whether or not you've stumbled upon another quirk with Thai Immigration.

Get a cheap Air Asia flight to Penang or Kuala Lumpur only 999 Bt per flight better bargain that you take a bus and you should booked in 1 week advance in net at

www. Airasia.com

Less hassle from border crossing,cheaper then you extance your visa fees 1000bt

I do it every month. You should try!

Good luck!

Sounds like a good idea, might try that myself ! :o

diago,
Got my 1 year multi here in Denver in less than 10 minutes from start to finish

What was your justification for getting the 'O' -- study, research, etc?

:o

Hi Jim,

Guess my justification was that I wanted to go. They never asked or seemed to care. The only concern was that I understood that the 1 year was an extra $20, she must have asked 10 times if the extra fee was OK. It should be noted that this consulate, unlike many others, is very small and cooperative. Remember that you still have to get a stamp every 90 days but the fees are already paid.

BTW, I may have lied about how long it took. It was closer to 7 minutes. :D

Later...

Don