Progressive eyeglass lenses

Using two pair of glasses is tedious.

I have my frames.

Should I go for bifocals which are reasonably priced here or the ridiculously priced progressive lenses?

What brands should I purchase, avoid?

Fair prices?

Please don't recommend Chinese online shops. Thank you.

The lowest price progressives I could find in Bangkok: cheap frames and non-brand lenses were B15,000 at a shop in Pratunam 5 years ago.

Vision testing in local shops is not trustworthy as well in that there are no licensing or training standards...any shop employee gives vision tests.

I get my vision tested at Rutnin eye Hospital every 3 years, now about B2000.  If you go, be sure to request a "VISION TEST" and not an "EYE EXAM" as an eye exam is a physical eye examination and usually does not include a vision test or prescription.  Make sure your prescription includes your "pupilary distance" (PD) required for progressive lenses.

As BritMan2 suggested, Zenni Optical (Yes, Chinese and very excellent service and quality) My last pair 3 years ago (plain frame) were less than $80 delivered to Bangkok.

If you are new to progressives, be aware there will be a perhaps week long acclimation period with distorted perspectives but stick with it and your eyes will quickly self-adjust.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

8000+bht from local shops Vs $60 delivered from China.

Up to you!

I'd asked posters not to compare or bring in the Chinese online stuff but obviously nothing to contribute so there you go.

I bought a pair of Oakley's here in BKK from shop posting online for less than 5k. Similar were 50usd more in States.

I intensely dislike cheap acetate frames.

Online stuff ...the frames are dire. Whether I can get decent progressive or even bifocals unsure but the frames are crap and you can't try them on.

People that have glasses that don't fit their faces are a bit of a laff.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

I had a weekend in Pattaya. Got my eyes tested. Then ordered 2 pairs from Zenni. Still had change from B8000.

What's your point?

I don't want cheap glasses, I want good glasses.

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, dddave said:

My last pair 3 years ago (plain frame) were less than $80 delivered to Bangkok.

Bought a great pair locally b1700 frame, titanium. Lasted years until I sat on them. Total was 3000 for reading glasses

I've been to rutin but getting eyes done very simple. All those tests, time just show. My expensive rutin exam just exactly the same result as the eye shop that I had gone to.

Again, not the question

21 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Using two pair is better

20 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

still use separate glasses for the computer. They have a shorter focus.

I'm tired of carrying two pair and constantly juggling between them. My short is 2.75 now and long 1-1.+

Recently had the same issue.  Got fed up using two pairs of glasses all the time.  

I went to Owndays opticians and they had a range of different varifocal lenses.  Ended up paying about 7000 baht including frame and , after a couple of weeks getting used to them, am happy with the quality and performance.  

I would recommend you having a look at Owndays.

Had varifocal lenses for many years, last new pair bought here 20 years ago @ 21,000 baht... frames fell to bits within 2 years managed to find a place that sold frames and cut the lenses to fit while I waited

for the last 12 years have bifocals on the 3 rd pair hate them, never got used to the sudden cut off no in between, do have a pair of reading glasses always at home + a pair mid range only use if eyes are bad for PC/TV etc.. [Monitor is 34" curved so mostly no need for glasses]

Tested for years at Chula Hospital [Red Cross]  present pair cost 1,200 baht, with Frames and bifocals and tests with prescription. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:38 AM, dddave said:

Vision testing in local shops is not trustworthy as well in that there are no licensing or training standards...any shop employee gives vision tests.

I found that out the hard way. Thought I needed new glasses, was 'tested' in the Top shop and progressives were ordered for 20,000 baht. They made no difference. Advised on an AN thread I started to get checked at a hospital and found that I had cataracts. Had one done, the other will follow. Totally wasted that 20,000.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:38 AM, dddave said:

The lowest price progressives I could find in Bangkok: cheap frames and non-brand lenses were B15,000 at a shop in Pratunam 5 years ago.

I get my vision tested at Rutnin eye Hospital every 3 years, now about B2000.  If you go, be sure to request a "VISION TEST" and not an "EYE EXAM" as an eye exam is a physical eye examination and usually does not include a vision test or prescription.  Make sure your prescription includes your "pupilary distance" (PD) required for progressive lenses.

As BritMan2 suggested, Zenni Optical (Yes, Chinese and very excellent service and quality) My last pair 3 years ago (plain frame) were less than $80 delivered to Bangkok.

If you are new to progressives, be aware there will be a perhaps week long acclimation period with distorted perspectives but stick with it and your eyes will quickly self-adjust.

My Zenni's are great.

image.png.035c395b720e87eecb7060d6b98bad3a.png

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

I'm tired of carrying two pair and constantly juggling between them.

Probably have to get used to it. For any computer screen work progressive lens will be painful to use. For everything else progressives should be fine. I always carry both around. I also never buy local, online Zenni is cheaper and good quality.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

I'm tired of carrying two pair and constantly juggling between them. My short is 2.75 now and long 1-1.+

Perfect case for varifocals!

I don't carry the computer glasses with me. Just switch to the them when I am going to work on the computer for longer.

Varifocals are fine for occasional use on laptop and phone.

Edited by SpaceKadet
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:17 AM, grs90 said:

Recently had the same issue.  Got fed up using two pairs of glasses all the time.  

I went to Owndays opticians and they had a range of different varifocal lenses.  Ended up paying about 7000 baht including frame and , after a couple of weeks getting used to them, am happy with the quality and performance.  

I would recommend you having a look at Owndays.

Thank you. I've been to flagship store. Looked okay but no rimless.

Anyway, you paid 7k for varifocal progressive or bifocal lenses??

22 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Perfect case for varifocals!

I don't carry the computer glasses with me. Just switch to the them when I am going to work on the computer for longer.

Varifocals are fine for occasional use on laptop and phone.

Thanks.

The issue with progressive lenses in Thailand is price. I don't think anyone is disputing the utility.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:11 AM, BritManToo said:

My $60 glasses have progressive lens and titanium frames.

After 12-18 months I just order again and chuck the old ones.

You aren't getting the answers you wanted because nobody is daft enough to purchase from Thai opticians more than once.

You upcountry folks have limited options. Understood

4 minutes ago, BusNo8 said:

I'm sure they look like you paid 15 bucks for them as well.

Again, I have frames.

I'm sure you can go gobble a bag of #$*@'s.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:05 AM, BusNo8 said:

Bought a great pair locally b1700 frame, titanium. Lasted years until I sat on them. Total was 3000 for reading glasses

I've been to rutin but getting eyes done very simple. All those tests, time just show. My expensive rutin exam just exactly the same result as the eye shop that I had gone to.

Again, not the question

Titanium frameless memory frames, photochromic lenses, less than 2,000 THB, AliExpress

I know what you said, but I don't want other people to waste their money through ignorance.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BusNo8 said:

Thank you. I've been to flagship store. Looked okay but no rimless.

Anyway, you paid 7k for varifocal progressive or bifocal lenses??

They are varifocal.