Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Briton critically injured after impaling himself on iron fence

george

Pattaya-accident-briton.webp

Picture courtesy of Siamrath

A 65 year old British man critically injured himself after he was impaled on a sharp iron fence at his residence in the Bang La Bang district of Chon Buri. The incident occurred in the wee hours of today at Choke Chai Garden Home 2 in Tambon Nong Pru.

Emergency services arrived at the scene and discovered Michael Girling pierced through his abdomen on the fence, with one of the arrowheads deeply lodged in his belly. The medical first responders managed to extricate the man from the railing, administered immediate first aid and rushed him to the hospital. The wound was estimated to be around five to 6 inches deep.

Reports suggest Girling, under the influence of alcohol, had trouble opening the door to his house. Consequently, he decided to scale the iron fence but unfortunately slipped and impaled himself on the pointed top, reported by Bangkok Post

A 50 year old neighbour, referred to as Pad, heard moaning sounds and, upon investigating, found Girling lodged on the fence. She hurriedly fetched a ladder to aid him and immediately alerted the paramedics. Pad disclosed that Girling had been a resident of the house for the past few months.

-- The Thaiger 2024-04-07 
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, george said:

under the influence of alcohol

impaling himself on iron fence

Crikey, not a good week for the Brits, getting drunk then impaled death. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, george said:

Reports suggest Girling, under the influence of alcohol, had trouble opening the door to his house. Consequently, he decided to scale the iron fence but unfortunately slipped and impaled himself on the pointed top

Climbing over a sharp/pointed iron railing fence while inebriated... Del Boy has the correct words.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Homburg said:

Memo to self: get rid of the fence.

Secrete a spare gate key somewhere outside? Get one of those fake rocks.... under a potted plant is so obvious!

Edited by jacko45k

The behavour of drunks has been historicaly predictable and feel sorry for the guy, but whats with all the foreigners making mostly disruptive news in Thailand lately?

Just now, Jing Joe said:

The behavour of drunks has been historicaly predictable and feel sorry for the guy, but whats with all the foreigners making mostly disruptive news in Thailand lately?

Not only drunks I suspect....... I have been thinking to myself of late that I feel 'grumpy', more so than normal..... and suspect it is the oppressive heat! Could well be a combination of the heat and it causing an early start and elevated levels of cold beer consumption too! 

Hard to take that afternoon nap in 36 degC!

16 hours ago, george said:

A 65 year old British man critically injured himself after he was impaled on a sharp iron fence at his residence in the Bang La Bang district of Chon Buri. The incident occurred in the wee hours of today at Choke Chai Garden Home 2 in Tambon Nong Pru.

Emergency services arrived at the scene and discovered Michael Girling pierced through his abdomen on the fence, with one of the arrowheads deeply lodged in his belly. The medical first responders managed to extricate the man from the railing, administered immediate first aid and rushed him to the hospital. The wound was estimated to be around five to 6 inches deep.

Reports suggest Girling, under the influence of alcohol, had trouble opening the door to his house. Consequently, he decided to scale the iron fence but unfortunately slipped and impaled himself on the pointed top, reported Bangkok Post.

A 50 year old neighbour, referred to as Pad, heard moaning sounds and, upon investigating, found Girling lodged on the fence. She hurriedly fetched a ladder to aid him and immediately alerted the paramedics. Pad disclosed that Girling had been a resident of the house for the past few months.

Who said stupidity doesn't hurt? 😵‍💫

• Love It 1

It sounds extremely painful poor old bugger.

I bet he won't be doing that again in a hurry, he shouldn't have been doing it at all aged 65 years.

Speedy recovery pal, get well soon.

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Really stupid comments on here, could happen to anyone if their drunk can’t get in their home climb over gate or balcony, done it myself many times in the past, don’t drink much now so don’t need to do it.

Yes, a six inch deep wound  is enough to pierce organs. Whatever his condition when climbing that injury has got to hurt a lot. Hope he survives.

15 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Idiocracy strikes again.

World is fkd.

Why? Climbing a spiked fence at any time is dangerous, infact any fence. We had a young soldier have a freak accident Climbing over a fence. His weapon slipped as he jumped and ouch! Serious injury. Made one's eyes water. He was never made fun of because I think everyone new it could easily have been them. Accidents happen. Poor bloke,  I imagine drink played little in this accident as I imagine he would have climbed it anyway as he could not get into his home.

djeez what a story 

and i slept trough it did not hear any ambulance

are u sure this was chokchai garden no 2??

i always thought our gates looked like a row of african zulu warriors

who ware famous for impaling people

would not even climb them sober

anyway lets hope for the best

speerpunt.jpg

I live in Chok Chai 2 and I never heard a thing. Shame really as I could have done with some entertainment. The houses in CC2 all have these spikes on the gates, they also all have house metal doors that you can lock with a padlock - you really have no need to padlock the gate simply a A. the metal door is padlocked and B. In all our years of living here - with security on the gate (useless or not) nothing has ever been stolen from any house !! When we go out we do padlock the gate but the lock is not engaged - simply just holding the gate together

Complete fool 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, george said:

Reports suggest Girling, under the influence of alcohol, had trouble opening the door to his house. Consequently, he decided to scale the iron fence but unfortunately slipped and impaled himself on the pointed top, reported Bangkok Post.

this is what alcohol does to people, thai & farang!

• Like 1