Heat wave! Be careful out there.

sirineou

7 hours ago, jaideedave said:

This unfrozen Canuck remembers ice forming on my eyelids walking to school in winter on some days. I rarely complain about the heat anymore.

And no,not uphill both ways.

image.jpeg

Like this temp?

Jan 12 Edmonton doing the school run, airport temp was -45.9C

I lived with the high temps in Thailand and middle east and honestly I prefer the cold. 

Not the - 40s, but just winter in general

Also the extreme lows like this generally only last a couple of days as opposed to Thailand's weeks or months of 37c or higher

Its cold out Jan12 8 AM.jpg

Edited by kwonitoy

On 4/10/2024 at 6:28 AM, sirineou said:

Yea , what I think I had was Heat exhaustion. I exibited all the symptoms in your list. I felt like crap . 

What is important to remember and it took me a while to realise it also that day , is that when we sweat we lose essential  electrolytes'. The bottle water we all buy is reverse osmosis or  distillation and is not replenishing these electrolytes.  I realised that when a laid down and started getting leg cramps . IN my youth when we played tennis in the hot FL sun we would take salt pills and potassium. I did not have any, so I had salt water and then ate a banana, because I remember reading some place that bananas are full of potassium. Not sure if I did the right thing , I am not a doctor. but I felt better afterwards .

I got these from the local pharmacy. can't read what the ingredients are but it got to be better than nothing , I will go online and order some electrolyte replacement pills.  

Anyway I thought I would put that out there to consider, 

electro.jpg.64fbe4dd1bc8a9bda00d078e5f01e2de.jpg

used to be hooked on these as id bike daily.....7bt at 7-11...found a pharmacy that sold em in 50--100 packs in a box....

switched over to lemon juice and salt with a shot of simple syrup in my liter water bottles..drink 2 or more a day after biking ..coconut water too

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 3:22 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

used to be hooked on these as id bike daily.....7bt at 7-11...found a pharmacy that sold em in 50--100 packs in a box....

switched over to lemon juice and salt with a shot of simple syrup in my liter water bottles..drink 2 or more a day after biking ..coconut water too

I dont even try to ride my bike in this weather. We go to the local pool ,I do a few laps and some water excursuses. Too hot for me to ride the bike, 

But your Idea of salt water and lemon, with honey . sounds good. I googled it and indeed they said that it is a good combination. Thank you for sharing it, 

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

I dont even try to ride my bike in this weather. We go to the local pool ,I do a few laps and some water excursuses. Too hot for me to ride the bike, 

But your Idea of salt water and lemon, with honey . sounds good. I googled it and indeed they said that it is a good combination. Thank you for sharing it, 

i'll be back in 2 weeks and back on my bike....just my daily routine...and casual biking with breaks...i usually head out after school and traffic breaks up and when the sun starts to set...

i get a 5 G jug of water from water co down the street for 20bt..bought a little auto water pump and fill 2 tall water bottles...water..salt..lime juice-simple syrup(all 3 from tesco X) and slug those down..

usually get fruit--yogurt--salad ..maybe coconut water on my way home at night to hydrate more as i just dont get hungry from the heat......used to do the Royal D packs but was a pain getting in the bottles and lots of sugar etc......so my homemade "gatorade" does the trick and i can adjust salt-sweet-lime levels....can also do it with water..fresh oj and salt......or my fruit lady will make a 32 oz shake for free if i buy the fruit from her..only thing is im so thirsty i chug it and the deadly brain freeze comes in.......Mini C used to sell watermelon juice...missing that..but coconut water is always a win......

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, sirineou said:

Yea , what I think I had was Heat exhaustion. I exibited all the symptoms in your list. I felt like crap . 

What is important to remember and it took me a while to realise it also that day , is that when we sweat we lose essential  electrolytes'. The bottle water we all buy is reverse osmosis or  distillation and is not replenishing these electrolytes.  I realised that when a laid down and started getting leg cramps . IN my youth when we played tennis in the hot FL sun we would take salt pills and potassium. I did not have any, so I had salt water and then ate a banana, because I remember reading some place that bananas are full of potassium. Not sure if I did the right thing , I am not a doctor. but I felt better afterwards .

I got these from the local pharmacy. can't read what the ingredients are but it got to be better than nothing , I will go online and order some electrolyte replacement pills.  

Anyway I thought I would put that out there to consider, 

electro.jpg.64fbe4dd1bc8a9bda00d078e5f01e2de.jpg

I take two Royal-D every day. Excellent!