Do Most Gay Thais Like Gay-themed Flicks?

I have discovered that my Thai bf likes movies with gay themes - especially if there are revealing scenes to 'flesh-out' the story.

Of course, I like them too. The problem is that not many are made in LOS, and foreign ones are rarely subtitled in Thai. So his English is pushed to its limit.

How about others? Do your BF's like gay flicks?

I assume your bf must have seen Silom Soi 2 then?

Well, I am not sure about bf, but I can speak for myself.

I don't think it is the "gay theme" in particular that draws me to this type of films, although I admit I try to watch many as I can (provided that they feature appealing story line, or in some cases great looking casts :D ), since it seems more or less "rare" to find gay flicks around here. I think it is the feeling of relatedness or affiliation that would entice me to see them. I hope you know what I mean.

I don't particularly look for "skin" or erotica factor, but it could help if it is not so blatant or done in haste. To me, what appeals most for a gay flick is the romance aspect. An example I can think of is Latter Days. A sweet and passionate movie.

Yeah, I am a sucker for romance, I have to admit. :o That's why a lot of films I love are considered a chick flick, like Something's Gotta Give or Under the Tuscan Sun, to name a few. I don't know, maybe I feel more empathy with the characters or something. If I don't feel quite related to the character, I do not particularly care for it. Case in point for me is those high-flying action or war-related movies.

Anyway, that's just me. How about someone else?

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorites was "The Priest". Like previous posters have mentioned, I have to be able to relate to it on some level--any movie. It's not the "theme" per se, that interests me, but how much of myself or others I can see in it.

My boyfriend and I don't really go for gay-themed flicks at all. I still enjoy watching Disney movies... (I'm 22!), but I wouldn't be caught watching them by anyone, lol. I enjoy most kinds of movies. I liked Die Hard 4.0 recently, and I am looking forward to The Bourne Identity movie out soon with Matt Damon. He is so fit! And I like the action genre.

It is really difficult to find good gay movies here. I have Latter Days on DVD at home in the US, as well as about a dozen others. In Thailand, we've rented or bought some, but I can't remember most of the names. I'll buy Brokeback Mountain when we get to Canada. I downloaded Transamerica through apple itunes and that turned out to be really good - both from 'skin' and storyline perspectives. One of my all-time favorites is Beautiful Thing. Unfortunately, since I'm not British, I had to watch it four times before I understood all the words. Mysterious Skin was good, too. My bf was riveted to both Mysterious Skin and Transamerica.

EW

I don't think it is the "gay theme" in particular that draws me to this type of films, although I admit I try to watch many as I can (provided that they feature appealing story line, or in some cases great looking casts :o ), since it seems more or less "rare" to find gay flicks around here. I think it is the feeling of relatedness or affiliation that would entice me to see them. I hope you know what I mean.

I entirely agree with you. A "gay" film in Thailand is a different thing to a gay movie in "farangland". Here it's always related to "khatouys".

In the last five years very few "gay movies" have really interested me as some did in the past. I can only remember now "Brokeback Mountain", "Transamerica" or "Queens".

But in previous years I've seen some very interesting ones: "The Wedding Banquet", "Death in Venice", "Beautiful Thing", "Priest", "Maurice", "Another Country", "In & Out", "Making Love", "Secret Pleasures", "Boys in The Band", "Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert", "Boys Don't Cry", "The Celluloid Closet", "Hamman", "Krampack", "Longtime Companion", "The Law of Desire", "My Beautiful Laundrette", "Philadelphia", "Querelle", "Reflections in a Golden Eye", "Strawberry&Chocolat", "White Nights", "Salo", "Victim", "Kiss of the Spiderwoman", "The Closet" and "Get Real".

There are many others: some are just pure trash or even homophobic.

I've never seen one yet so can't speak much, however I'm not sure if Thai Gay-themed Flicks can come up with something so deeply profound like Brokeback Mountain though.

That's perhaps because the Thais have never been in the habit of beating gay folks to death with tire irons. The profundity of Brokeback Mountain came about because of the systematic legal and illegal suppression of gays in the USA. Thailand has never had laws which criminalise homosexuality.

Thai gay-themed movies are usually outrageous comedies and often feature old and fat ladyboys. My partner loves them...but then she is a Thai ladyboy. She doesn't see any insult in them and just enjoys the baudy humor of the movies. For me, they are a subtle way of putting down gay and transgendered Thai people...but I am told "I think too much."

However, a very serious gay-themed movie -- "Friends" -- will open next month and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Edited by farang prince

Thai gay-themed movies are usually outrageous comedies and often feature old and fat ladyboys. My partner loves them...but then she is a Thai ladyboy. She doesn't see any insult in them and just enjoys the baudy humor of the movies. For me, they are a subtle way of putting down gay and transgendered Thai people...but I am told "I think too much."

However, a very serious gay-themed movie -- "Friends" -- will open next month and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I probably don't think like many gay Thais. I do agree with you about the implication of impartial treatment to katoeys/gays characters in Thai movies, even in one of those films that claim they do not mean to do it. They just try to be funny, that would be their mantra, that's all. Personally, I think it's all about making money even if it could be a sensitive matter to some. Right now, funny movies about gays/katoeys are "in".

I could also visualize why your partner think that way. It's not uncommon for Thais, gay or not. We simply love having fun -- sanook first. Even if it's a laugh at "our" expense. Then again, I may be "thinking too much". Mai pen rai na.

Anyway, the movie you mentioned, I think the English title was earlier supposed to be "Bangkok Love Story" Not too sure if it's still is. I heard some find it inappropriate. There are a couple posters that depict "the kiss", which may not see the light of day in LOS, but could probably be seen internationally. I'm not too positive that the entire movie will be screened the way the director wants it to be. Wonder how much it would survive the infamous Censor Board due to its serious tone of the movie, in contrast to most gay comedies.

I would definitely go see it, if not for the story then for the cuteness of the leads. :o

I probably don't think like many gay Thais. I do agree with you about the implication of impartial treatment to katoeys/gays characters in Thai movies, even in one of those films that claim they do not mean to do it. They just try to be funny, that would be their mantra, that's all. Personally, I think it's all about making money even if it could be a sensitive matter to some. Right now, funny movies about gays/katoeys are "in".

I could also visualize why your partner think that way. It's not uncommon for Thais, gay or not. We simply love having fun -- sanook first. Even if it's a laugh at "our" expense. Then again, I may be "thinking too much". Mai pen rai na.

Anyway, the movie you mentioned, I think the English title was earlier supposed to be "Bangkok Love Story" Not too sure if it's still is. I heard some find it inappropriate. There are a couple posters that depict "the kiss", which may not see the light of day in LOS, but could probably be seen internationally. I'm not too positive that the entire movie will be screened the way the director wants it to be. Wonder how much it would survive the infamous Censor Board due to its serious tone of the movie, in contrast to most gay comedies.

I would definitely go see it, if not for the story then for the cuteness of the leads. :o

It will be interesting to see if "Middle Earth" also makes it by the censors. It is a 10-minute short doc.