Bangkok Bank ATM card

I just secured my Non Immigrant O retirement visa with a Bangkok Bank "card" It looks like a cartoon, and there's no Visa logo etc.

What exactly am I supposed to do with this? I know I can use it to pay locally, but I want to buy a music program for digital music making, but it's

in Belgium. The card can be used to purchase using the company's BIC number? or are we not allowed to purchase online?

Any help appreciated. (What an eyesore of a card) lol

• Sad 1

it might be UnionPay Chinese payment system, not VISA or MasterCard. Bangkok Bank is pushing customers to use it instead of VISA or MC.

No, cannot use it BIC
Yes, we allowed for online purchaes

• Like 1

My Bangkok Bank ATM card with a Visa logo doesn't even let me buy movie tickets online locally in Thailand anymore. Seems like they keep crippling it after the incident where a bunch of people had small amounts taken out multiple times a year or two ago from some kind of scam operation.

Edited by Ohyesuare

You need to describe better what you have but in any case it will be possible to use it online but you will probably need to get it authorised for online usage first.  Bangkok Bank 1333 might be a good source of information.

• Like 2

Yes agree call 1333 and ask the bank. I have a similar cartoon type ATM card though there is a MC symbol on it. I use it for withdrawals and can use it to pay traders etc

Also you can ask for Visa and Mastercard from BB which function as proper credit cards. You will need to deposit a sum in the bank to secure such cards.

Edited by homeseeker

I renewed my Bangkok Bank card a week ago. I was told by the employee that they got more cards linked to UnionPay so it is very likely that yours is also from this Chinese circuit.

No problem, it is absolutely the same as Visa or Mastercard.

• Like 1

Wow, interesting replies, thanks much gang! There's kind of a cartoonish group of people on the card.

It says "Bangkok Bank Be 1st Smart" There's a small gold chip below it, and to the right, the red and yellow merged circles (Visa?) but doesn't say Visa. There's another logo that says "Thai Payment network."

? So, I guess I can't use it to purchase something online in Belgium. Can I connect the account to Paypal?

The European vendor mentioned Paypal.

Weird card...weird rules these days. 😉

On 4/10/2024 at 3:59 PM, freeworld said:

What card did you get?

Bangkok bank have Visa, Master Card and Union Pay, they should have offered you to select.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/th-TH/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card

Thanks for that link. I saw my cartoon card on there, and it explains in more detail. Apparently, it's a mastercard

debit card. I don't care to use it, but I was hoping to buy the digital audio workstation from a Belgian company online.The site mentions BIC, not SWIFT, so, maybe I'm out of luck.

Thanks again for the reply! 😉

10 hours ago, mel2surf said:

Thanks for that link. I saw my cartoon card on there, and it explains in more detail. Apparently, it's a mastercard

debit card. I don't care to use it, but I was hoping to buy the digital audio workstation from a Belgian company online.The site mentions BIC, not SWIFT, so, maybe I'm out of luck.

Thanks again for the reply! 😉

Why do you think you can't use it?  It's just a MasterCard debit card, nothing strange about it (apart from the cartoon characters).  Presumably the Belgian company doesn't accept card payments only bank transfers?  That is more a limitation on their part rather than a problem with your bank.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Why do you think you can't use it?  It's just a MasterCard debit card, nothing strange about it (apart from the cartoon characters).  Presumably the Belgian company doesn't accept card payments only bank transfers?  That is more a limitation on their part rather than a problem with your bank.

It's not a normal MasterCard! It's processed by TPN (Thai payment network) and has many problems because of that. All the Bangkok bank debit cards are similar.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's not a normal MasterCard! It's processed by TPN (Thai payment network) and has many problems because of that. All the Bangkok bank debit cards are similar.

Ah OK.  But I'm guessing it should work like any other MasterCard but the TPN thing may cause it not to?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

The Belgian company accepts Paypal payments. I wonder if I can connect Paypal to Bangkok Bank?

you have to activate online or at atm to set a daily limit for online shopping, but in my experience they rarely work,

I think they only work with payment gateway that support Visa/Mastercards 3D payment where they send you an OTP, which in western world is rare

even contactless for Bangkok Bank's MasterCard Debit cards don't work in shops most of the time

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Ah OK.  But I'm guessing it should work like any other MasterCard but the TPN thing may cause it not to?

Here what a TPN Mastercard can be used for.

TPN is some agreement with MasterCard to process secure and cheaper local payments.

Transactions made with this card

Transaction

Bangkok Bank ATMs nationwide

Other banks’ ATMs1

Bualuang Phone 1333

Withdraw cash

-

Transfer funds between your Bangkok Bank accounts or to accounts at other banks

Check balances for up to 10 accounts registered with Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard

-

Buy/sell BBLAM mutual fund units

-

Switch BBLAM mutual fund units

-

-

Pay tax and utility bills

-

Pay for goods and services

-

Mobile top up

-

Change your PIN

-

-

Specify your daily cash withdrawal/fund transfer limit up to a maximum of 500,000 baht

-

-

Specify your daily purchasing limit for up to 150,000 baht

-

-

Cancel your card

-

-

For international transactions, the ATM must be able to accept chip cards and display ADC53FEAC560459CBDADBB6D011D7AD3.ashx?h=
* Excludes 3rd party fund transfers which require 3rd party account registration at the branch prior to making the transaction. This also excludes fund transfers to other bank accounts.
** Does not include BBL Asset Management’s Retirement Mutual Funds (RMF) and Long-term Mutual Funds (LTF).
*** Only applicable at other banks ATMs that accept chip cards in Thailand.
**** To make cash withdrawal/fund transfers more than 200,000 baht, you must increase the limit at a branch before using the service.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1