The cutting-edge DragonFire laser will be installed on Royal Navy warships from 2027.

Social Media

image.png

The cutting-edge DragonFire laser will be installed on Royal Navy warships for the first time from 2027 – far quicker than previously envisaged thanks to new defence procurement model which came into force this week.  Able to fire at any target visible in the air at around £10 a shot and with an accuracy equivalent to hitting a pound coin from a kilometre away, the powerful DragonFire weapon will provide highly effective defence against drone and missile threats. 

Laser weapons were originally expected to be rolled out to UK armed forces in 2032. But under a raft of reforms to defence procurement that came into effect this week and prioritisation within Defence, the weapon will now be operational around five years earlier than planned. A key part of the new reforms is delivering a minimum deployable capability quickly to personnel and finalising development once in-service, ensuring that personnel can access the tools they need for an evolving threat. 

Under contract from Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl), on behalf of the UK MOD, DragonFire has been developed in collaboration with UK industry partners MBDA, Leonardo and QinetiQ. 

Defence Secretary, Grant Shapps said: 
In a more dangerous world, our approach to procurement is shifting with it. We need to be more urgent, more critical and more global. 

Our widespread reforms will deliver the latest kit and weaponry for our Armed Forces faster and help identify export opportunities that can boost the UK economy.  DragonFire shows the best of the UK at the forefront of military technology, and we will not delay in getting it in the hands of our military to face down the threats we’re facing.

The reforms will ensure more consistent delivery for the UK’s Armed Forces, helping avoid previous challenges where programmes have been over-complex, over-budget, and over time.

In addition to the minimum deployable capability, the new reforms include:  

New checks and balances such as the UK Strategic Command-based Integration Design Authority providing expert advice on integration. This will improve coherence and avoid some of the challenges faced in previous procurements.
Greater empowerment of defence scientists, government export leads, finance experts and industry partners to challenge and shape proposals before they receive the go-ahead.  

The new model will set programmes up for success by consulting a wide range of experts early in the acquisition process. This will enable the MOD to take the right, expert-informed decisions from the start, saving time later on.  Increased focus on exportability at the start of a new programme, to prioritise developing kit that can be sold to allies globally. Earlier engagement with the UK defence industry to ensure quicker delivery of kit into the hands of our Armed Forces. 

Laser-directed energy weapons can engage targets at the speed of light and use an intense beam of light to cut through the target, leading to structural failure or more impactful results if the warhead is targeted.  DragonFire has the potential to be a long-term low-cost alternative to certain tasks missiles currently carry out, such as shooting down attack drones.Investing in this cutting edge laser technology puts the UK at the forefront of defence capabilities. Moreover, playing a significant part in reducing the challenges faced by traditional stockpiles. 

Dstl’s Chief Executive Paul Hollinshead said: 
This is excellent news, and a real step forward in enabling operational advantage at pace for UK Defence.  Dstl is all about preparing for the future and the DragonFire technology is a great example of that.  Our scientists along with industry partners have worked tirelessly to bring laser technology to where it is today, one which I am proud to say is a UK sovereign capability.

Source

image.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Good news, hopefully. It's about time the UK began to prioritise it's defence budget.

I would have thought the development of the laser started a while back....🤗

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DTL2014 said:

what happens when it misses? will it take out the space station or a couple of satellites?

13 hours ago, Social Media said:

with an accuracy equivalent to hitting a pound coin from a kilometre away,

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Just what the Ukrainians need. Now.

Did I read somewhere over the past 2 days?? they are going to send it to Ukraine, if they do it will be a good testing ground.

3 hours ago, transam said:

I would have thought the development of the laser started a while back....🤗

I was a civilian crew member on  USS Ship bout 10 yrs ago that had a laser they were testing. It was no where close to being an actual weapon. They would test with a giant cardboard box on a pallet in the water.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, Gandtee said:

In three years? Maybe three years too late. Will the Royal Navy have any manned ships in three years? A report I read recently said that crews could not be mustered to man the Destroyer support ships for the British Aircraft Carrier and it couldn't put to sea. How embarrassing. Britannia rules the waves.? What a joke. 1938 all over again. Caught with our trousers down.😒

Slight problem recruiting people these days. People are not brought up to be told what to do every minute of the day or to put up with bullies.

I served, and got out after they spent a few hundred thousand $ training me, because of the bullies ( senior NCOs ).

It's also a disincentive when the pay and conditions are not very good.

You reference the 1930s. There was a good story about tank training when I was in, which was that the crews had to march in formation shouting "clank clank, I'm a tank". Given my own experience I half believe it was true. Our tanks were obsolete Korean war crocks that seemingly broke down more than they worked.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 2:20 AM, EVENKEEL said:

I was a civilian crew member on  USS Ship bout 10 yrs ago that had a laser they were testing. It was no where close to being an actual weapon. They would test with a giant cardboard box on a pallet in the water.

There's loadsacash to be made from developing weapons even if they don't actually work.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There's loadsacash to be made from developing weapons even if they don't actually work.

Such as the GT200 bomb detector that didn't work and was a scam. It fooled the Thai military government who spent millions on a device reportedly containing no inner workings. I wonder who made  money ordering them?🙄

Edited by Gandtee
added words

On 4/13/2024 at 2:56 PM, Gandtee said:

In three years? Maybe three years too late. Will the Royal Navy have any manned ships in three years? A report I read recently said that crews could not be mustered to man the Destroyer support ships for the British Aircraft Carrier and it couldn't put to sea. How embarrassing. Britannia rules the waves.? What a joke. 1938 all over again. Caught with our trousers down.😒

Britain hasn't had much luck with ships or submarines recently. Does this laser work when the ship is at sea or is it only for when the ships are in dry dock being repaired? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

Such as the GT200 that didn't work and was a scam. It fooled the Thai military government who spent millions on a device reportedly containing no inner workings. I wonder who made  money ordering them?🙄

I think I remember that. I assume all the usual suspects got their cut.

The history of the M16 ammunition and the made up requirement to add a bolt pusher device ( sorry, but I forget the correct name for it ) is an interesting expose of corruption in things military. Forever unknown are how many died because the wrong propellant was mandated.

2 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Monty Python was great.

Lots of great humour came from men that had served during the war. I guess humour was the only thing that helped them survive. Perhaps that is why there is no decent comedy now that that generation has passed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

Britain hasn't had much luck with ships or submarines recently. Does this laser work when the ship is at sea or is it only for when the ships are in dry dock being repaired? 

Even more relevant, is it easy to fix during a storm when the ship just won't stay still ( EVERYTHING breaks, and usually at the worst possible moment )?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even more relevant, is it easy to fix during a storm when the ship just won't stay still ( EVERYTHING breaks, and usually at the worst possible moment )?

You mean when the ship is being naughty and doing what ships do when afloat?😉 But modern tanks now have sights that stay locked onto a target. Not like the Cromwell I was on in the early 50s. Happy days.

I remember back in the Regan years the star wars project lasers killing missiles ect ended up being a big porker of a contract from what I remember.that being said computers have evolved big time smaller faster ect ect perhaps they have made progress with the lasers as well hope so!the idea of hitting a moving object with a (light) seems a simpler concept than hitting a moving object with another object let’s hope it turns out to be viable !

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The history of the M16 ammunition and the made up requirement to add a bolt pusher device ( sorry, but I forget the correct name for it ) is an interesting expose of corruption in things military. Forever unknown are how many died because the wrong propellant was mandated.

Its called a forward assist. Since you dont know that, I wont biother with the rest as  you probably dont know the difference between WW and IMR propellants, or have any knowledge of impulse physics, chamber dimensional analysis, rifle design, etc, 

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, the forward assist bolt.   5.56mm round and a very lightweight rifle.   Good for close combat not much else. 

I never got use to the sound of the spring in the butt as it reloaded.  Horrible twang sound.  Sounded like a toy. 

The old SLR, now that at 7.62mm had a bit more of a whack. Damn heavy though. Not really suited to close combat but was used. 

I like the sound of this new laser weapon. If it does as its portrayed then if I was the enemy, I'd be very worried. 

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Such as the GT200 bomb detector that didn't work and was a scam. It fooled the Thai military government who spent millions on a device reportedly containing no inner workings. I wonder who made  money ordering them?🙄

I have a hard time believing that it really fooled anyone, even the Thais in charge at the time. It had no basis in scientific fact. Similar devices were being sold as novelty golf ball detectors. 

IMO, it was bought because they knew it was a scam and could cream millions off the top of the purchase price. 

The fact that many people, including a former PM and the country's leading forensic psychologist backed it, and that it was continued to be used in active service for so long, is a complete disgrace. 

There should have been many in jail for this debacle, but as far as I know, there has been no-one ever found responsible in Thailand.

The guy behind the scam was sentenced to jail in the UK. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tug said:

I remember back in the Regan years the star wars project lasers killing missiles ect ended up being a big porker of a contract from what I remember.that being said computers have evolved big time smaller faster ect ect perhaps they have made progress with the lasers as well hope so!the idea of hitting a moving object with a (light) seems a simpler concept than hitting a moving object with another object let’s hope it turns out to be viable !

Lasers will render hypersonic missiles obsolete overnight.

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Names starting with P? 😁

3 hours ago, candide said:

Names starting with P? 😁

As usual and as is the culture here, loads of people would have benefitted financially. All of them will be connected, so no proper investigations and convictions.

• Confused 1